weird electrical glitch when accelerating - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge/RAM Van & Cargo Truck Forums > Dodge B-Series Vans 1971 - 2003

Closed Thread

CanyonCruiser

weird electrical glitch when accelerating - Posted: 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
State: CA
Post #1

I've got some known (and unknown) electrical issues in my 84 B250. I can inspect and replace the wires that are obviously frayed but I got a weird one that I need help on where to begin looking...

When accelerating above 1500 rpm the radio speakers will stop. The radio maintains power and the sound kicks back in after rpm's drop down. It happened today after first time starting but didn't happen after the second time starting. When it was happening it always happened, when it didn't then it didn't do it during that drive. Also, the A/C switches to vent (default position for vacuum) when accelerating, not sure if its related or not.

I'm willing to entertain any and all ideas on what might be the cause. I know I have a wire that lost insulation between oil pressure switch and electronic choke and I will replace but I don't think its related to acceleration issue.

If no one know about this specific issue then please share any general electrical diagnostic tips.
Advertisement

stev

Posted: 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Seating for 12
City: Nashville
State: TN
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

First try checking the ground straps from the engine and tranny to the body. For an older vehicle, these usually tend to dissolve away or fall apart/off fast. Restoring the ground wires could remove the issue since the spark runs higher at higher rpms. Just my 2 cents.

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(50)*
*DodgeTalk.com Ram Van/Wagon Member #(1)*
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

bikerlarry50

Posted: 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM
City: north ft. myers, fl
State: FL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #3

also check your battery, age , strength, & connections. i think you have seperate issues goin on. heater/ac issue is vacumn related. radio problem is most likely internal, especially if its factory. would just replace with aftermarket, imho., peace, larry
as for me,i'm a retired ase master tech, co-own a 2012 dodge durango sxt, and my personal vehicles, my 99 ram 3500 1 ton van, a 06 hd nitetrain, & a 67 hd flh shovelhead , and a 99 sea ray bow rider boat
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

B-300

Posted: 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
State: OTHER
Post #4

The wire that goes electronic choke also connects to the charging system on my '78. This could be the problem.
Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300

CanyonCruiser

Posted: 04-19-2012, 01:36 AM
State: CA
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-300 View Post
The wire that goes electronic choke also connects to the charging system on my '78. This could be the problem.
Battery is less than one year old. Head unit is also new.

My Electronic choke is definitely an issue so I hope its just that. As you can see, my original wasn't doing too good. Driveability has been rough until engine warms up but I didn't think the two were connected until you mentioned it. I rewired the blue one and will install tomorrow and see how it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OilPressureSwitchToElectricChokeHeater.jpg (283.9 KB, 2 views)