weird electrical glitch when accelerating - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM
CanyonCruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
weird electrical glitch when accelerating

I've got some known (and unknown) electrical issues in my 84 B250. I can inspect and replace the wires that are obviously frayed but I got a weird one that I need help on where to begin looking...

When accelerating above 1500 rpm the radio speakers will stop. The radio maintains power and the sound kicks back in after rpm's drop down. It happened today after first time starting but didn't happen after the second time starting. When it was happening it always happened, when it didn't then it didn't do it during that drive. Also, the A/C switches to vent (default position for vacuum) when accelerating, not sure if its related or not.

I'm willing to entertain any and all ideas on what might be the cause. I know I have a wire that lost insulation between oil pressure switch and electronic choke and I will replace but I don't think its related to acceleration issue.

If no one know about this specific issue then please share any general electrical diagnostic tips.

1984 Dodge B250 5.2L 318 in SoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 PM
stev
Seating for 12

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First try checking the ground straps from the engine and tranny to the body. For an older vehicle, these usually tend to dissolve away or fall apart/off fast. Restoring the ground wires could remove the issue since the spark runs higher at higher rpms. Just my 2 cents.

2000 Dodge-Ram-B1500 V6 3.9L, 3.55:1, RoadMaster MKII-XF -SOLD-
2001 Dodge-Ram-B2500 V8 5.2L, 3.92:1, RoadMaster MKII-XXF
1982 Coachmen Cadet 19-1/2 3000# Towable Camper

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(50)*
*DodgeTalk.com Ram Van/Wagon Member #(1)*
#3 Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM
bikerlarry50

also check your battery, age , strength, & connections. i think you have seperate issues goin on. heater/ac issue is vacumn related. radio problem is most likely internal, especially if its factory. would just replace with aftermarket, imho., peace, larry

as for me,i'm a retired ase master tech, co-own a 2012 dodge durango sxt, and my personal vehicles, my 99 ram 3500 1 ton van, a 06 hd nitetrain, & a 67 hd flh shovelhead , and a 99 sea ray bow rider boat
#4 Old 04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
B-300
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes

The wire that goes electronic choke also connects to the charging system on my '78. This could be the problem.

Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300
#5 Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 AM
CanyonCruiser

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-300 View Post
The wire that goes electronic choke also connects to the charging system on my '78. This could be the problem.
Battery is less than one year old. Head unit is also new.

My Electronic choke is definitely an issue so I hope its just that. As you can see, my original wasn't doing too good. Driveability has been rough until engine warms up but I didn't think the two were connected until you mentioned it. I rewired the blue one and will install tomorrow and see how it does.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OilPressureSwitchToElectricChokeHeater.jpg (283.9 KB, 2 views)

1984 Dodge B250 5.2L 318 in SoCal
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.