Summer Plans - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - 4X4 Talk

Closed Thread

NeedaRam

Summer Plans - Posted: 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM
State: WI
Post #1

Well my rear wheel wells are pretty much toast because of rust so the plan is sometime this summer is for my dad and I to fix it with bondo to get rid as much as we can and then do this. (Picture) I hate seeing the rust everyday.
Iknow its WI but still.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5I65G55M33Ge3M73N7c3pcc2e5bf59d681af4.jpg (43.9 KB, 17 views)

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33
Blue Truck Club member #259
*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(131)*
Interior: Complete Blue LED Lighting, Dash Mat, Painted OH Console, Pioneer HU and Speakers, 1600W Amp, Cobra CB w/ 3ft firestick whips

Exterior: Fender Flares, Bed Lined rockers, Bed, and rear bumper, Plastidipped Wheels, Plastidipped badges, Chrome Wheel Center Caps, Ramhead on Gas Door, LED 3rd Brake Light

Steering/Suspension: 1-Ton cross-steering, Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix

Performance: Superchips 3815(91 Perf. Tune), Magnaflow HF CAT, Flowsound Muffler, Duals out the back w/ black tips, Hughes Plenum, Autolite 3923s
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

fastSdime

Posted: 04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
46RE is the DEVIL
City: Westmoreland
State: KS
Post #2

If you just bondo it the rust will just come back. Honestly pay a shop to fix the rust or find a friend that does body work to replace the sheet metal and then do the bed liner you want if this is a truck that you plan to keep.

99 Ram 1500 4X4
Quad Cab Short Bed, 5.9L 360, 275/60 20 Hankook
20X9 (06-08) 3 Gen Chrome 20s
Rebuilt transmission w/Transgo Jr and Trans Cooler
1Ton Crossover Steering w/poly boots, LED Interior Lighting
CRACKED DASH ENTHUSIAST CLUB #1
RED TRUCK CLUB #320
TRUCKS & GUNS CLUB #129

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

NeedaRam

Posted: 04-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastSdime View Post
If you just bondo it the rust will just come back. Honestly pay a shop to fix the rust or find a friend that does body work to replace the sheet metal and then do the bed liner you want if this is a truck that you plan to keep.
I know itll come back, but im 16 and I dont make enough to pay a body shop. Itd cost alot.

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33
Interior: Complete Blue LED Lighting, Dash Mat, Painted OH Console, Pioneer HU and Speakers, 1600W Amp, Cobra CB w/ 3ft firestick whips

Exterior: Fender Flares, Bed Lined rockers, Bed, and rear bumper, Plastidipped Wheels, Plastidipped badges, Chrome Wheel Center Caps, Ramhead on Gas Door, LED 3rd Brake Light

Performance: Superchips 3815(91 Perf. Tune), Magnaflow HF CAT, Flowsound Muffler, Duals out the back w/ black tips, Hughes Plenum, Autolite 3923s

fastSdime

Posted: 04-13-2012, 08:48 PM
46RE is the DEVIL
Post #4

do you have a votech around you? When I went to school for automotive collision repair at the school I went to they charged materials plus 10% and I know most schools are like that. Just know me as a body man. If you brought it to me after you have fixed it. I would probably charge double due to fixing what I had to and removing what you did. If you can find a person that does body work on the side your looking at a couple hundred to get that fix. Even less if you have a votech that can help

99 Ram 1500 4X4
RED TRUCK CLUB #320
TRUCKS & GUNS CLUB #129

NeedaRam

Posted: 04-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Post #5

No votech. How much from a body shop does it cost to have both rear fenders fixed on average

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33

BigGreenV10

Posted: 04-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Big Green
City: Newark, Ohio
State: OH
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #6

Under a million
POWDER COAT CLUB MEMBER #1
DON'T TOUCH OUR TRUCK CLUB #2
GREEN TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #31
V10 RAM CLUB MEMBER # 35
MILITARY TRUCK CLUB #147
CRACKED DASH CLUB # 32

2000 2500 V10 4x4 Ext. cab 6" suspension 37 x 12.5 x 16.5 with 4.88 gears.
SCT tuner, Cold air and custom exhaust.
Tail lights, fuel filler door and tail gate handle shaved. Body color fiberglass bed cover and fender flares. Custom all steel 4" cowl hood, custom front bumper.
100% Xtreme Kreations Club President looking for members

NeedaRam

Posted: 04-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenV10 View Post
Under a million
Well thats always a plus haha

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33

prototype4342

Posted: 04-14-2012, 02:38 AM
City: Colorado
State: CO
View This User's Garage
Post #8

Go to a junkyard with a sawzall and cut fenders from a truck. Then measure and cut the same amount from your fenders, then weld in the non-rusted ones, prime and paint. Much more permanent than bondo, which is really just a very temporary fix.
Cracked Dash Enthusiast Club Member #29

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Regular cab: In the middle of a 8.0L V10/NV4500 swap, 3/4 ton axles...IT'S ALIVE!!!

1981 Camaro: 5.7L '86 350 LT9, Edelbrock Performer Intake man., Edelbrock 600 carb., Drop base air cleaner, unnamed headers, pypes crossflow exhaust, ECP all aluminum radiator, Mark VIII electric fan, PTFB GT suspension, single adjustable AFCO shocks, C/E subframe connectors, 4-speed.

NeedaRam

Posted: 04-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype4342 View Post
Go to a junkyard with a sawzall and cut fenders from a truck. Then measure and cut the same amount from your fenders, then weld in the non-rusted ones, prime and paint. Much more permanent than bondo, which is really just a very temporary fix.
I cant afford paint though. I mean I could but Id be draining alot of money. I know its not permenant. But if I can get a couple years out of it Id be happy. Then when it comes back hopefully itd be in the budget to get a new bed entirely and then paint my truck.

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33

fastSdime

Posted: 04-14-2012, 08:27 AM
46RE is the DEVIL
Post #10

Bondo holds water that's what makes it crack and lift. It will maybe make it a single WI winter. If you have the talent to cut the panels out and weld new ones in you can get new pieces for about 100-150 for both sides. If you have a paint gun and a big enough compressor paint the whole truck your self for around $500-1000 depending on your materials used. You said you like doing your own work. Why pay someone for things that if you take your time and read about it you can do yourself.

99 Ram 1500 4X4
RED TRUCK CLUB #320
TRUCKS & GUNS CLUB #129

Moparite

Posted: 04-14-2012, 08:55 AM
Post #11

It would be nice to see what you are talking about(RUST). I don't see anything in the pic. Need to know the extent of the rust damage before you can give advise don't you think?
Quote:
Go to a junkyard with a sawzall and cut fenders from a truck.
Patch panels are available you don't have to hack a truck in a junk yard. Swap the entire bed would be easier.

wermbang

Posted: 04-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Board Breaker TKD
City: Iowa
State: IA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #12

How close are you to central Illinois?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00003508665131

"Black Mamba" DIY CAI Club Member #8

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Off-Road Edition, Intense Blue Pearl
Plasti dipped- Roll bar,nerf bars, grille, dash, and wheels. 2.5" Top Gun Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5100s all 4 Nitto Trail Grappler MT 295/60/20 , Projector Halo headlights with 6k HIDs, LED bulbs in clear taillights. LED Dash cluster and A/C controls and headlight switch. Custom grille badging. Custom bed stripe. Tow mirrors. Painted frame. SRT fiberglass hood.3rd gen 20s Plus others.

Soon to be added: 3rd gen front and rear bumpers, a lot of LEDs and other lights

NeedaRam

Posted: 04-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Post #13

5 hours

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33

NeedaRam

Posted: 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Post #14

I have no access to a welder that I could use on my truck. No compressor nothing like that. Dont ever need it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0287235.jpg (35.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0286236.jpg (34.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0285237.jpg (33.7 KB, 2 views)

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33

Moparite

Posted: 04-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Post #15

That looks to be just surface rust. If there are no holes you can just clean it up and paint it. Use a good epoxy primer.

NeedaRam

Posted: 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Post #16

The first pics is a hole. The seccond is a couple layers in, in a tiny spot. And the third is surface.
So basically the 1st one is the bad one.

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33

ratram

Posted: 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Home of the Whopper
City: Whidbey Island
State: WA
Post #17

You could get new bed sides from LMC and use 3M body panel adhesive to attach them. Most body shop and OEM manufactures use it. Saves time and eliminates heat distortion from welding. If it were me, I'd just hold off and find a good used box. Why put money into this box, just to replace it later?

Some Mods: Cab lights, 4th gen look mirrors, level.

Free spin hub conversion. Have all parts on hand.

NeedaRam

Posted: 04-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratram View Post
You could get new bed sides from LMC and use 3M body panel adhesive to attach them. Most body shop and OEM manufactures use it. Saves time and eliminates heat distortion from welding. If it were me, I'd just hold off and find a good used box. Why put money into this box, just to replace it later?
Cuz then I still would need paint. This way wont cost much anyway.

01 Sport SOLD
God Squad 95 to eternity
Cracked Dash Club # 33

fastSdime

Posted: 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM
46RE is the DEVIL
Post #19

I would rather see you wait and do it then right then cobble it up with body filler then go back and have to fix it right. Because just grinding down and bondo and bed liner I give it one winter before it looks just as bad as before if not worse. What about some fender flairs? Cut the rust out paint the edge then under coat the area then put on the flairs to hide it till you can do it right? I know flairs are a lil more expensive but you dont have to color match them and you can fix the problem half way.

99 Ram 1500 4X4
RED TRUCK CLUB #320
TRUCKS & GUNS CLUB #129

XCRacer236

Posted: 04-16-2012, 04:48 PM
CaseDawg
City: Whiteland
State: IN
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastSdime View Post
What about some fender flairs? Cut the rust out paint the edge then under coat the area then put on the flairs to hide it till you can do it right? I know flairs are a lil more expensive but you dont have to color match them and you can fix the problem half way.
^This. I've grown up in a body shop. Worked on many vehicles and and fixed PLENTY of rust on my own. The easiest and cheapest way to fix it, is simply cut the rust out, undercoat it with a rust sealer, then put fender flares on it.

Bondo WON"T last. You'll be right back to square one in a year or two.

And honestly, if you're going to reject everyone's suggestions, why post? That's what these forums are for. Not trying to be a d!ck, just givin ya some advice.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 AKA Clifford
Quad Cab Laramie 318 4x4
Exterior: Custom PRC Premier paint, Color-Matched Bedliner Rockers, Custom Color-Matched LMC Grill, Full Debadge, Tinted Tails/RECON 3rd light/Fog Lights, Rear Lowered 1", TGC 1" Leveling Kit, Custom Painted Black Front Bumper, 17" Black XD Addict Wheels, 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers, SkyJacker Dual Steering Stabilizers, 5" Stainless Exhaust tip, 5% Tint all around, Rust Seal coated Frame & Undercarriage.
Interior: Color Matched Dash Bezel, Kenwood X-794 HU.
Performance: Gutted Cat.

Closed Thread