knocking felt thru steering wheel - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 3rd Gen (11 - Up) Forums > 3G Dodge Durango - Tire/Wheel/Suspension Talk

Closed Thread

mimmo

Posted: 01-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Post #21

hey, The knocking in the steering wheel was resolved by replacing the intermediate shaft . The vibration has not yet been resolved. i had also called Chrysler but so far NOTHING... I would let them replace the brakes and see if it resolves it . Please let me know if it resolves it . THX
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

ramiprimo

Posted: 01-16-2012, 03:35 PM
State: ON
Post #22

hi mimmo,
i changed the disk brake (front left) and the four tires. Vibrating still there by much less. my steering wheel is not shivering as before while braking. i have another issue with the wheels drifting to the right, and steering wheel knocking while moderately braking still there. I am taking it back to agency when the speare part in the bulleting is received as they do not have in stock.
i will update u when i have any news.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

DodgeCares

Posted: 01-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Dodge Cares
City: Mopar HQ
State: MI
Post #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiprimo View Post
mommo, what did they do exactly to solve the vibration issue? my dealer insists that changing disk brakes would solve it! I have citadel 2011 manufactured in February 2011.

Rami,

This is the TSB related to the intermediate shaft issue.

NUMBER: 19-004-11
GROUP: Steering
DATE: August 20, 2011

SUBJECT:
Clunk And/Or Bump Felt Through The Steering Wheel Under Moderate Braking And/Or
Driving Over Rough Roads
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing and if necessary replacing the intermediate shaft.
MODELS:
2011-2012 (WD) Durango
2011-2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before July 01, 2011 (MDH0701XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Clunk and/or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate braking or driving over
rough roads. This can be caused by spline stick/slip from the intermediate shaft.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom, perform the Repair Procedure.

U.S. Top Care
Chrysler Group LLC

ramiprimo

Posted: 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Post #24

Thanks a lottt for the bulletin.

I am taking my citadel tomorrow to the dealer and will get "intermediate shaft" replaced. Changing tires and disk brakes reduced vibration; however, it is still there and quite annoying . hopefully changing the shaft as well would eliminate it.

I will keep you updated once I get my car back.

mimmo

Posted: 01-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Post #25

Hi, Please update when U get the car back , Greatly appreciate it. THX

ramiprimo

Posted: 01-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Post #26

Just got my car back after replacing intermediate shaft. They have balanced the steering wheel as car was drifting. Replaced all disc brakes as well under warrantee. Now car moving smooth and no vibrations at all. Will monitor for next month to see if it would sustain.

mimmo

Posted: 01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Post #27

can U tell me what dealer U went to , the no. and person you were in contact with .I am hopping I can get my vibration at highway speeds resolved also ..........THX

ramiprimo

Posted: 01-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Post #28

Not sure if this would be of help, I am in Dubai and my dealer is local agent trading enterprises. To solve this issue they have done the following

1- replaced all,four tires with new Michelin tires.
2- changed all brake discs and brake pads
3- replaced intermediate shaft for steering with modified part with green dot
4- realigned wheels

It solved issue hopefully permanently.

ramiprimo

Posted: 04-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Post #29

Problem is back .. steering wheel is shaking on highway between 80-120km per hour and brake is jittering even after getting wheel balanced at the agency.

There is another problem dodge is not telling us about. the service manager was trying to convince me it is my driving style .. bullshit ..! I even complained to chryler and yet to hear any feedback.

mimmo

Posted: 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Post #30

Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding , My opologies. My dealer has not done anything and it really annoying me. Replacing the disks sounds like a good avenue as I had an issue loke it on another vehicle and it has resolved it. Please let me know the outcome, Once again my apologies for the delayed repose.

ramiprimo

Posted: 04-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Post #31

Mimmo,

Problem came back, steering wheel shaking, brakes are jittering and on top of this the wheels are pulling to the right.

Sent the car four times to the agent, and last time was last week and got it back same condition if not worse. This seems to be common problem with the durango and chrysler is doing nothing about it. What a waste of money! I should have invested in a Ford or GM.

Rami

mimmo

Posted: 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Post #32

That is such BS ,U are 100% correct should of went with something else. For a car that they advertise as being so great , they should at least fix the scew ups. Anyway thanks for U's reply . Later

ramiprimo

Posted: 05-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Post #33

I have solved the problem. It ended up being wheel balancing, which agency claimed they have done!

I went to tyre shop and done balancing using Hunter GSP9700 machine

http://www.gsp9700.com/

It eliminated the vibration.

dmcelhannon

Posted: 05-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #34

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years 85-Days and Counting! ~

mimmo

tires till ok? - Posted: 05-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Post #35

Ramiprimo, thx for the update- I have made an app to get my wheels balances using the same machine . Was just wondering are the tires still ok / shimmy still gone - and how long has it been now. THX greatly appreeciate the feedback

mimmo

vibration - Posted: 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Post #36

Hi Ramiprimo, sorry for the late response. After several time of balancing the tires the dealer had them road force balanced which solved the issue however I just had the tires rotated and it came back but that is due to some of the weights fell off. But road force fixed it. Please let me know how u made out if the rotors fixed your issue? THX

RamLion

Posted: 09-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Victims arent we all
City: Temple/Waco
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #37

dammmm i was gonna chyme in with the whole road force balance thing,,, in the area i live in there are only 6 withen a 50mile area, but thers like 10discount tire stores and tire express and ungodly amount of rent a rim shops here none of which have a roadforce machine,

mimmo

tire issue - Posted: 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Post #38

oh, so was wondering has your issue been resolved and if so what was done. THX

mimmo

vibration - Posted: 10-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Post #39

they balaced my tires and did nothing , they are now saying that it is a normal charecteristic og the car which is BS, How di dU make out?

dmcelhannon

Posted: 10-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Moderator David Mack
City: McAllen
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #40

Did they check the tires thread separation? How about the rim being true? I had two factory rims that weren't straight and the truck was new. The shocks can cause problems like this as well. Like he said above, bent or wrapped rotors add a fun factor when finding problems.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC ~ 02 Ram 45RFE to Jeep GC TCM 5-45RFE Upgrade - (Nov.01) 4.7L with 85K/3142hrs, Knolton Thunder Cylinder Heads & HO Cams by Sawcut, 4.56 R&P/DTT, SRT-10 Pod w/Dynojet Wideband Commander, 2-speed manual transfer case, Clifford Security System w/Auto Start/Auto Windows, RB1 CD/DVD/NAV Infinity Sound System w/30GB iPod, Offroad Package, 33" BFG T/A KO, Mopar Rear Wheel Liners, EBC Greenstuff Roadsport Brake Pads, K&N w/Airaid Jr Modular Intake Tube, BBK 70mm Throttle Body, AIR_RAM Jet Stream Scoop, PML Diff Cover, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, MSD 1.65 Alt Pulley, V8 Lincoln E-Fan, FK-60 E-Fan Controller w/relay, 180 Jet T-Stat, Flowmaster SI/DO Exhaust, Tire-2-Tire Chrome Tuber Step, Line of Fire LED Light Bar, Sylvania Ultra Silverstars, $1600 Oil Pickup Tube

Texas 1845: We the People of the Republic of Texas, acknowledging,
with gratitude, the grace and beneficence of God.

~ Waiting to fix my Ram! ~ 2-Years 85-Days and Counting! ~

Closed Thread