Navigator Problems - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-08-2012, 09:21 PM
w5blt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Navigator Problems

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum. Up until about a year ago, my Navigator ran perfectly. Then, I started getting some glitches. Such as, locking up and the unit not being able to ready the disk. Although I've tried several thing, one of the things that I tried was to purchase a new nav disk. It would not read it at all. The dealer where I purchased it tried it in a different vehicle and it worked perfectly.

So, here's my questions:

1) I'm assuming that I need to install a new Navigator DVD disk drive. Can this be done?
2) If so, where can I purchase one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Bob
2005 Magnum R/T
, Adopted 10/12/04, Magnesium Pearl, Navigation System w/6 CD, Protection Group, Electronics Group, Trailer Tow Group, Convenience Group II, Smokers Group, Power Sunroof, UConnect, Heater exterior rear view mirrors, Extended Warrenty, Sirius Radio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 AM
WARLOCK

I'm at a loss on the Nav.

Over on lx forums there have been folks selling dvds.
#3 Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 AM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
When was the last time you ran a DVD read head cleaner in your unit? I keep a DVD cleaning disk in my center console.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC
~ Waiting to replace my Ram! ~ 2014 October 23rd WAS Judgement Day! ~
*** After 849-Days (2-Years 119-days) We Nailed Their A$$ to the Barn Door ***

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish Foundation's Raffle

Tickets are now available for purchase directly from the Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish office. They can be reached at (956) 686-9474. Even if you are from out of town you can participate because you do not need to be present to win.

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee

Click the Superbee link to see the whole timeline thread....

#4 Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
w5blt

(Thread Starter)
Yes, I ran a DVD cleaner loads of times with no good results.

Bob
2005 Magnum R/T
, Adopted 10/12/04, Magnesium Pearl, Navigation System w/6 CD, Protection Group, Electronics Group, Trailer Tow Group, Convenience Group II, Smokers Group, Power Sunroof, UConnect, Heater exterior rear view mirrors, Extended Warrenty, Sirius Radio.
#5 Old 04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
dmcelhannon
Moderator David Mack

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Damn; the only other thing I can think of is a reset. The reset button for the CD is the Power Button. To reset, hold down the power button for more than 30 seconds. A Hail-Mary would be to do "hard dump" on the vehicles computer system.
=============================================
This is from a past DT thread:

You can do what is often called a "hard dump".

We (techs) often do this when we need to totally reset the ECU and either don't have the proper tool close by (too lazy to walk to toolbox and get it) or just are "in a hurry".

First, disconnect positive+ battery cable at the battery and ground it to the chassis. Yes, the POSITIVE CABLE.

Wait a few seconds, 30 won't kill ya.

Now reconnect the positive cable. Careful, no sparks now.

Get in the vehicle, turn ignition key to on (run) position, now depress fully and release the gas pedal 5 times to set the TPS to WOT. (Make sure the floor mats do not keep the pedal from going WFO)

Turn the key to off, wait a min, and you should have cleared everything in the ECU except for the factory programming.
The hard dump does not effect the (factory) alarm, the only thing I noticed is my radio presets, as this method came from a working Chrysler tech, I doubt if there are any negative effects.

If you start a thread, be responsible and post the final outcome.

2002 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 QC
~ Waiting to replace my Ram! ~ 2014 October 23rd WAS Judgement Day! ~
*** After 849-Days (2-Years 119-days) We Nailed Their A$$ to the Barn Door ***

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish Foundation's Raffle

Tickets are now available for purchase directly from the Rio Grande Valley Make-A-Wish office. They can be reached at (956) 686-9474. Even if you are from out of town you can participate because you do not need to be present to win.

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee

Click the Superbee link to see the whole timeline thread....

#6 Old 05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
EsQueue

My 06 magnum's nav gave read errors. I dl'd and burned the newest 2011 nav disc using dual layer verbatim dvd at 2x speed and it still did not read. I read about people using canned air to clean it out but I didn't think that it would work so I got a straw and blew is the slot. I slid the straw from lest to right while blowing.

I put the burned dvd in and still proceeded to blow out the dust. LOL it works flawless now.

I realize that all the blowing sounds gay but hey, you get the picture.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.