Parking brake still not engaging - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-08-2012, 10:17 AM
kevcamvt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Parking brake still not engaging

I just replaced the parking brake shoes and related hardware (springs, pins, etc) on both the RR and LR think that this would fix the parking brake. The parking brake cable is tight when I set the brake now, but the shoes don't appear to engage the inner drum of the rotor. It's as if the shoes are stuck in place, but I can pull them apart manually.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM
dodgefan360
Platinum 2K R/T

Rear brakes are similar, but best bet is to check the install. Factory service manual can be found here http://www.biodsl.com/durangofsm.htm you can check the 2000 Durango or the 2005 Dakota, as both manuals are available and the disc brakes should be set up similarly. Hope that will help...

2000 5.9 R/T - Platinum
144,000m (233,000kms)
Amsoil in the diffs, transfer case and engine - Hughes Plenum - Fastman 52mm TB - K&N FIPK - SCT tuner currently set at 87 octane - Magnaflow 15659 exhaust

My 2000 R/T
2000 R/T Factory service Manual
#3 Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 AM
jpayne80
K-State fan

This happened to me. I had to adjust the 'pin' at the bottom of the shoes to separate them more. They were too close and would not put enough pressure on the walls to keep the wheel from moving. Just twist the pin.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4
Bright Red
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.