Doesn't start - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Intrepid Talk > Dodge Intrepid 2nd Gen (98 - 04) > 2G Dodge Intrepid - General Talk

Closed Thread

TCPMeta

Doesn't start - Posted: 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Post #1

No codes and doesn't start. It will turn over but not crank.
Changed Camshaft position sensor, checked fuel pump, even changed the battery cable to the starter since only half of the wire was connected. I changed relays and fuses as well.

Only things I haven't tried is testing the coils and looking at the plugs. I will try those two next.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jerry cole

Posted: 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM
State: GA
Post #2

crank sensor??? watch sensors while cranking engine over see if they read..
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

TCPMeta

Posted: 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Post #3

Went ahead and changed the crank sensor and found oil on four plugs. Replaced the plugs and still no go. I'm thinking it might still be the fuel pump, I should do a pressure test to rule this out.

TCPMeta

Posted: 03-30-2012, 12:17 PM
Post #4

Starting to hear talk on another forum that it may be ether the engine wire harness or the PCM. Could be both.

volaredon

Posted: 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
older trucks ARE better!
State: IL
Post #5

turns over but wont crank.... impossible turning over and cranking are exactly the same; they both mean that the engine spins when starter engaged... neither means you have spark or fuel or sounds like it is "trying to start".

TCPMeta

Posted: 04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Post #6

Ether way it is getting fuel and spark.

volaredon

Posted: 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM
older trucks ARE better!
Post #7

ok thats a start; probably something related to timing... crank sensor or distributor pickup

TCPMeta

Posted: 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Post #8

The timing is perfect. Waiting until tomorrow to get a pressure gauge to see how many PSI the fuel pump is pushing.

TCPMeta

Posted: 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Post #9

Pressured tested the injection system and getting 65PSI. Should be between 85 to 90PSI.

volaredon

Posted: 04-06-2012, 11:05 PM
older trucks ARE better!
Post #10

85-90? WHAT year is this truck??? 92-3 is like 30-some 94+ is like 49PSI spec I have never heard of THAt high of pressure fuel system on anything.

TCPMeta

Posted: 04-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Post #11

It's a car. I got this info from a tech at NAPA since he use to work on LH body cars at a local dealer. How ever I pulled out the FSM and came across it's 35psi + 5psi. So it has me thinking why im getting 65PSI. Im going to try shooting in some starting spray and see if I can get it to kick over. For a couple of days now I have had some stabil in the tank to freshen up the fuel.

Tomorrow im going to pull the timing cover off, rotate the engine to TDC and double check the timing since a co-worker keeps telling me it sounds like the timing belt jumped a tooth ether on the crank side or cam side.

maachine

Posted: 04-07-2012, 12:51 AM
City: Hammond
State: LA
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaredon View Post
85-90? WHAT year is this truck???

hahahahahaha. sorry man. this made me laugh.

if the timing belt is off......turn the engine a few times with a wrench before you turn it over with the starter. just to make sure.....if it still wont start, i'd do a compression test to make sure any valves didnt get damaged.
LA 360 bored .030 over, EQ Magnum heads, Hooker Headers, true dual exhaust, Holley 4160 w/Truck Avenger parts, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake, StreetFire ignition box & MSD coil
208 t-case/727A trans w/3.23 gears

volaredon

Posted: 04-07-2012, 06:03 PM
older trucks ARE better!
Post #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maachine View Post
hahahahahaha. sorry man. this made me laugh.

if the timing belt is off......turn the engine a few times with a wrench before you turn it over with the starter. just to make sure.....if it still wont start, i'd do a compression test to make sure any valves didnt get damaged.
sorry I am so used to hanging out in teh truck side; only dropped into this forum because I have a nightmare side job on an intrepid taking up my garage, while having a motor and trans swap on my own personal newest acquisition a 93 Dakota club cab that is about to go from being 318 auto powered to 318 5 speed powered....

maachine

Posted: 04-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Post #14

its cool. i'm only 29 and i swear my mind has left me sometimes. it happens.

just to correct myself.........if you find the timing belt is off, fix it, then turn the engine with a wrench to ensure there is no piston to valve contact. still no start? do a compression test to ensure that piston to valve contact hasnt happened and that you still have good compression. sorry. sometimes its hard for me to write my thoughts down.
LA 360 bored .030 over, EQ Magnum heads, Hooker Headers, true dual exhaust, Holley 4160 w/Truck Avenger parts, Edelbrock Performer dual plane intake, StreetFire ignition box & MSD coil

volaredon

Posted: 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM
older trucks ARE better!
Post #15

myself I have only ever owned 4 kinds of vehicles, Chryslers Dodges Plymouths and Jeeps, been driving since soph year (1983) and NEVER yet a front wheel drive.
though I unfortunately get stuck working on them.... 18 years as a professional wrench did nothing for my hatred of front wheel drive vehicles;
my current fleet; 97 cherokee XJ (wife's daily) 97 Wrangler Sport (both Jeeps inline 6 powered) 89 Rancharger 4WD 360 (son's) 94 Dakota 4X2 3.9 auto
and as of yesterday a 93 Dakota 318 w/ a bad 518; gonna get a NV 3500 put into

AND a 02 Interpid (NOT MY CAR) I just got stuck fixing its dead 2.7.

maachine

Posted: 04-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Post #16

i just did a brake job on an 03 intrepid a few weeks ago. it was for a good friend's girlfriend. brakes havent been done in over 9 years. the old brakes were in really good shape. i was amazed. kind of left with me with a good impression.

and recently i replaced a head gasket on my ex's 98 volvo s-70 turbo. as much as i hate that volvo (with a furious passion).......that dodge intrepid i worked on a few weeks ago.....looks even more painful than that volvo. less room under the hood. good luck meta.

maachine

Posted: 04-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Post #17

oh....hahaha, and good luck to you too volaredon as well.

TCPMeta

Posted: 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Post #18

Well to end this thread I had a talk with the wife late last month and we ended up trading it in and bought a 2006 dodge caravan. I really loved my intrepid, damn car was almost new except for the transmission and struts. Pretty much built the intrepid from the ground up. Funny thing is I told the dealer straight up what was wrong with the car and he offered $1,500. Yesterday I got a call from the dealer asking why it had a 3.5L when the VIN said 2.7L. Well come to find out here in Florida you have to contact DOT when you change out the powertrain to something different. Still don't know if they're going to fix it or sale it for scrap.
Closed Thread