rear brakes - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-19-2011, 12:49 PM
vegfiredad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question rear brakes

05 Dakota, have had for 4 months got it used, all has been good, last week started pouring break fluid out of the LR brake drum found that the brake shoe where it presses the piston on the cylinder, had jumped off and smashed the seal, replaced the cylinder, went for 2 days then did it again, any ideas what is causing this (you'll need to bear with me i'm automotive repair challenged)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 PM
vegfiredad

(Thread Starter)
i'm new to the site, is there a place to get a diagram see if i can figure out if something is set up wrong
#3 Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Palmentech766
^GM Goodwrench Certified^

I have a feeling one of the springs is broken, missing, or it was assembled incorrectly. Remove the other side and see if one side is missing something the other side has.

2013 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Mineral Gray
1978 AMC Matador Wagon Morocco Buff
1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible Matador Red
#4 Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM
vegfiredad

(Thread Starter)
did, looks the same, but now found the right side is doing it also, not as bad tho only smashed the seal a little, just has a small leak, it's the rear shoe on each, guess i'll go get a Haynes tomorrow after i get paid, see if it will give a good diagram see if i can figure it out, don't have the cash to take it to a brake shop.
thanks for the advise,anything else you can think of let me know
#5 Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 AM
dodgefan360
Platinum 2K R/T

2005 dakota factory service manual http://www.biodsl.com/durangofsm.htm

2000 5.9 R/T - Platinum
144,000m (233,000kms)
Amsoil in the diffs, transfer case and engine - Hughes Plenum - Fastman 52mm TB - K&N FIPK - SCT tuner currently set at 87 octane - Magnaflow 15659 exhaust

My 2000 R/T
2000 R/T Factory service Manual
#6 Old 07-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Rockdodger

05 Dakota brake problems

If your 05 has the 8.25 inch rear axle, you need to be aware there is a TSB out concerning the '05's and early '06's. Basically Dodge screwed up the return spring design on these. They offer an expensive repair with new shoes that have an extra spring. Far cheaper is to buy Monroe's shoes for an '06 or later truck which includes the revised springs. (Part No BX-922)). A Chilton's manual covering the '06 or later Dakotas will have an excellent description of how to install the new shoes and springs. (Note the extra spring is behind the upper part of the shoes and a bit hard to see, much less install.) Sounds like new wheel cylinders are in order too. The TSB no. is TSB 05-002-06. It doesn't apply to the 8.75 inch axle.

Last edited by Rockdodger; 07-30-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: correction
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.