Truck Rebuild thread - Page 2 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 1st Gen (88 - 93) Forum

Closed Thread

V8 addiction

Posted: 03-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
City: Lacombe
State: AB
Post #21

Ok, I will make sure that I check under the manifold the next time I am out there. On the air intake it has a list of all the different engine sizes on it with the different carburetors and it said that the 318's only came with a 2bbl carb. Bit I am still wondering whether that is a 4bbl carb or a 2bbl carb.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

V8 addiction

Update - Posted: 03-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #22

So today I went out and brought all the parts with me that I have so far for the truck. Me and my cousin jacked up the front end and started taking apart the brake system. We pulled off the tire and checked everything out, there is a rust imprint of where the brake pad was sitting for the last dozen years, and hard rust lining the edge of the rotor. So because its a locking hub you basically have to take the entire thing apart to get at the rotor. We start by pulling of the mounting bolts for the brake caliper. It too 2 people, a truck hitch, 1/2in wrench, crow bar and a 2x4 of wood...... Suprisingly enough, there was no WD-40 out there! While my cousin and uncle started trying to figure out how to get the rotor out, I took the brake caliper apart and put it to the wire wheel. I got a good percentage of the brake caliper cleaned up, but I couldnt do all of it. After that I put on the new brake pads (Which turned out to be ceramic, im happy with that) and left it on the table. Check pics for the Rotor, partial inside of the hub and the partially sheared off retaining ring.
We take off the hub cap and looked at it like a bunch of monkeys for a bit trying to figure out where to start. We get a couple gears and sprockets out and finally take out the retaining ring.... the majority of the inside of the retaining ring was SHEARED off and partially held on by a 3/4in strip. Time was running out and I had to go back so I covered it up and left it until i can go back there for 3 days starting on monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sspx0208.jpg (357.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg sspx0206.jpg (376.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sspx0204.jpg (368.3 KB, 5 views)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RedandWhite

Thumbs up  Posted: 03-26-2012, 03:18 PM
1st. Gen RAM Enthusiast
City: Citrus County
State: FL
View This User's Garage
Post #23

WOW, what happened to your axle/brake system? Kind of makes me worried about my own. In the meantime, I'll be watching with interest.

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(132)*
DodgeTalk.com Trucks and Guns Club Member (#160)

Don't TOUCH my Truck Club (#58)

V8 addiction

Posted: 04-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #24

:UPDATE:
okay! so sorry about the long long time since the last post! been quite busy! i got the valve covers sand blasted and put back on the truck with the new gaskets, i know the my locking hubs inside and out because after doing the left one and the corresponding brake system, i realized that I had put in the locking connection gear in the wrong way! so i had to do the right side again! but after i got the left side all put together, i tested out the wheel and i got the bearing lock nut too tight! D: so now i need to do that again! I did my back brakes (drums and shoes) but when i was about to bleed the passenger side brakes i noticed something! the bleeder screw had been broken off! (still closed, but broken) so i went to just undo the metal brake line to get some of the fluid out and guss what? the nut/line had so much rust that they were FUSED together and so it sheared off the piece! so I am going to replace my brake lines while I am at it too! When I went to adjust my E-Brake, the adjusting screw and nut had also fused together from rust! Im thinking that IMHO i would rather rebuild an engine than do an entire brake system!!!! ARGHH and i wouldnt worry about your suspension/braking system unless your truck has been sitting on a wet farm in the middle of alberta for the past 15 years not being driven! I got my battery all charged up and ready to go but...... my truck wouldnt start... So i topped up the tank with gas, cleaned out the fuel filter and tried again..... nothing.... so i think i had flooded it. I opened throttle all the way and opened up the choke plate on the carb, took out the spark plugs and am letting my baby sit and get nice and dry. I am going into red deer soon and picking up some of those new E3 spark plugs! those are so sick! probably gonna be picking up an MSD distributor and spark plug wires soon. can anyone give me the rundown on how the entire aftermarket ignition systems work?!?! i need to know what to look for before i start buying! I now am also buying a new suspension because my rear leaf spring is cracked in half! diehard dodge fan here.... most people would think its a waste of money, but i love this truck!

RedandWhite

Posted: 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM
1st. Gen RAM Enthusiast
View This User's Garage
Post #25

OK, I don't have to worry about that. How'd your leaf spring break, same problem, sitting?

V8 addiction

New Update - Posted: 06-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #26

UPDATE

finally had some time to get out to the farm and get some work done! I got the new brake line in and replaced that! A little longer than required but it works! After that, i went to bleed the brakes and after i did the rear drivers side i went to do the drivers front side anddddddd when i went to turn the bleeder screw with a BOX END WRENCH i had to twist it so hard that it actually stripped the screw! But the brakes still work for the most part, but tommorow i am going to pick up whole new brake calipers for it just so its all good.

Now comes the interesting part: After getting everything put together and charging it, i went to start it and nothing! The engine would turn over but no combustion. I checked the spark:good, I know there was air going to it because the air cleaner housing wasn't even on there so that works. All thats left was gas....... I took off the fuel filter (turns out it was a fram) and when i turned it upside down a whole ton of orange rust filled gas came out! definitely gonna replace ALL fram filters immediately. so i went out and got a NAPA fuel filter, because i really needed one and had no way into red deer. I threw it in, kept turning it over..... nothing. remove all the hoses, blow compressed air through the gas line to the tank and the return line and heard rust flying out so sometime this summer gonna clean out the tank! Reattached the hoses, kept turning it over... nothing! I decided to take out the fuel pump to test it to make sure it was working, and it was so this time i hooked up the hoses to the fuel pump and manually pumped gas into the hoses. Put the fuel pump in, tried starting it and still there was nothing. As i was trying to figure out what was wrong i remembered a trick my grandpa would use to get things running so i decided to spray some gas in the carburetor and tried staring it. Came to life finally! I stomped on the gas and after almost dieing a little bit she started going good! hearing that engine come to life again was like a little boy in the candy store after not hearing it since the middle of winter . WOOOOOT, so i drove the truck up to the well house with the pressure washer and CLEANED that engine bay and truck like crazy. I even sprayed degreaser all over the engine before hand to get everything! I took it for a road test around the farm and when i got back there was a huge leak from the engine bay somewhere! I looked and looked and finally found that it was the house that went from the top of the engine to the firewall that was leaking coolant. I took off the hose, cut it back a few inches and put it back on and tightened it a bunch!

Then after a road test i noticed i had no oil pressure so i stopped by the garage and took another look. Apparently in my rush i hadnt tightened bith sides of the fuel pump, just the one side.... So I tightened it back up and went on my way, still no oil pressure but probably because of all the oil i lost!!!

I just got my license today so tommorow i am going to go pick up some new brake calipers and drums because both of them have wrecked bleed screws and they should be replaced anyways.

Will some people check out my plans for stuff I'm buying for the truck and give me tips/advice or better parts?

Hooker Headers: www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-5902-4HKR
Edelbrock Heads: www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-60779/Overview/
Crower Valve spring: www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-68280X2-16
Crane Cam pushrods part #69691-16 (link is too long to copy from iPod)
Keith Black Hypereutectic Flat top pistons: www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB107_030

Edelbrock Intake: www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-37761
Camshaft: www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-713175-10
Rocker Arms: www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-69790-1
and im not sure what tyoe of hydraulic lifters yet.

All advice welcome:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sspx0233.jpg (388.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg sspx0232.jpg (501.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg sspx0231.jpg (427.4 KB, 5 views)

RedandWhite

Posted: 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM
1st. Gen RAM Enthusiast
View This User's Garage
Post #27

Heeeyyy, what kind of tailgate do you have? Fairly good body though, all the ones from around here either look like they've been through a crusher, or they've been sitting out since the day they were brought home. Sad, these are nice trucks.

V8 addiction

Update And Response - Posted: 06-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #28

I went into a few different motor shops and picked up some stuff.
I picked up 8.5mm MSD ignition wires, E3 spark plugs, Edelbrock aluminum air intake cleaner, and a performance K&N air filter for it. I have been looking around and the possible lift sizes available are my truck are 2",2.5",3.5",4",5",6" and 10". Any opinions on that or the engine parts i am planning on getting would be great!
Onto the question. I am not quite sure where we got the tailgate from but me and my grandpa installed it a couple years ago. The body and interior are both pretty nice! Its got a big ass dent in the back drivers side of the truck, which i will hopefully be hammering out soon! I piked up some rust converter paint, truck bed liner and primer. Hopefully I will be able to fix up the body by the end of the end of the summer! I will upload pictures of my engine and the new parts i got the next time i get to a computer!

crazzywolfie

Posted: 06-07-2012, 11:31 AM
City: Orangeville
State: ON
Post #29

i don't think those e3's are worth the money. if you Google them a lot of people have problems with them.

81 dodge d150 custom long box 318 670CFM Holley Street Avenger Carb
93 ramcharger 318 FI 2wd

V8 addiction

Response - Posted: 06-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #30

well the E3's come with a 5 year warranty so i will just return them if they break or malfunction

V8 addiction

Update & Question - Posted: 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #31

I went into red deer again today and picked up some more parts. Got a new 800 cranking amps battery and i got a Super Pro Hi-Performance tachometer that i am going to install this weekend. I went to Kal-Tire Suspension and ordered in some new leaf springs for my truck that should be in by tuesday!
I was wondering if anyone can give me a hose diagram and/or wiring diagram for my truck. There is lots of loose hoses that have just been taken off and had screws put in them. OR if anyone can take some nice clear picturs of their dodge that has good hose mountings then that would be great!

V8 addiction

Update - Posted: 06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #32

sooo...... I may have gotten a little carried away. First, the tachometer, when I went to install it I found out that it couldnt be done because the older dodges dont have a negative power line going from the ignition coil to the distributor! I was really bummed out about that but whatever! The battery is great, starts every time. I painted one of the leaf springs and the attaching shackle for the right side. The color scheme that I am going with for my truck is a black body and frame and red supension parts and engine. So I then picked up a rear wheel brake cylinder for the drum brakes because the bleeder screw was broken on the other one! Getting the original off was a real b*tch to do, but we did it! Now I just have to reinstall the one half of the brake drum I took apart to acces the rear wheel cylinder! I knew that I was going to go all out in restoring this truck so I figured while I am doing the suspension that I might as well clean up the frame, and to do that...... I took the box off It looks kinda goofy, but thats not the important part! I got some of the frame cleaned up and put on some rust prevention paint to stop any rust from coming, but it still came through in a few spots! anyways, I pounded out the big dent in the back of the truck box, it looks better now! I installed the Edelbrock air intake, K&N air filter, 1" spacer, the spark plugs and the MSD wires! Runs pretty nice now. In the pictures you can see how the exhaust pipe comes straight from the muffler but then does some dumb ass curves to avoid hitting the axle. I am going to grind that off and have it stick out right behind the cab! until I get my dual exhaust anyways!! Thats all I can think of at the moment but I will hopefully post another update soon!!
I have lots of pics so I am going to have to upload them in a couple seperate posts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.JPG (246.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0884.JPG (230.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0894.JPG (338.2 KB, 6 views)

V8 addiction

Pics - Posted: 06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #33

so here are the pics of the box and the two hoist things I forgot the name to that I used to get it up, and I cleaned up some of the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0918.JPG (307.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0922.JPG (212.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0930.JPG (253.4 KB, 4 views)

V8 addiction

Pics - Posted: 06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #34

so, when I went to remove the leaf springs, the bolts were so rusted on, I had to grind them off!!! Ridiculous amount of effort for a couple bolts. And the dodge company didnt even make it so the shackle mounts were removable!!! I would have rather done that and gotten new mounts instead!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0936.JPG (270.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0937.JPG (291.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0931.JPG (280.4 KB, 4 views)

V8 addiction

Update - Posted: 07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #35

so after working my a$$ off for 2 days straight this is what its starting to look like. I dont have the mount on the bottome to have the leaf spring bolted down but this is what it will kinda look like. Because my new phone takes too high quality of pictures its too larg to upload but check it out here: http://imgur.com/hal2H

hondaATC239

Posted: 07-17-2012, 10:11 PM
BuRnIn MeTaL MoPaR
City: fort myers
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #36

just fyi E3 plugs in a dodge DONT DO IT!
same thing with bosch (AND CAHMPION SUCK TOO)i
i run NGK and only NGK they are the best plugs made and cheap too
use the V-power which are standard copper plugs

V8 addiction

Posted: 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Green Horn rebuilder
Post #37

With the e3 plugs my engine has run better. A few times it almost stalled when i stomped on it because the engine wasnt warm but it caught itself and stayed running. Could also be because of the wires or the intake though.so i got my toolbox mounted and most of my truck box painted. Instead of trying to fix the rusted wheel wells, i will clean them, paint them and then put on fender flares! Hopefully in the next few days i will get the rest of the frame, suspension, axle, and body painted! Im planning on fixing the rusted out rocker panels as well. I got the truck bed coating sprayed on and it looks good. The brackets for my corbeau LG1 black leather seats will be in soon too! Im ripping out the carpet and putting in new stuff to clean things up a bit. Im getting my stereo ordered in this weekend or next which will be nice! Does anyone know of turbos or superchargers i can get for my truck because the only one i could find was a novi paxton with only 8psi of boost?!

Dakotah18

Posted: 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Troubleshooter
State: IL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #38

Nice thread, I'll be doing a similar project or projects. I have a '92 Ramcharger that runs great, has a perfect interior, but the body is shot. I found a rust free '91 Power Ram 150 w/ 6' and an '89 Power Ram 150 w/ 8' bed. The '89 runs great and looks great but needs little odds and ends which I can steal from my RC, the '91 has no interior, no engine, new tires though and freshly sandblasted and painted frame, owner just lost interest. So with the parts I have, and a few others I'm hoping to have 2 great trucks (probably sell one and keep the other when I get that far). But anyway my point is, there is a ton of useful information you got here and I'll definitely be watching and getting ideas for my projects.

'92 Dodge Ramcharger Canyon Sport 4x4 5.2L - 169,000 miles on body, egr and cat delete, rebuilt engine and transmission, windshield visor with marker lights and ram head with lighted eyes----sold

'95 Dakota 4X4 SLT 318 - 245,000 miles, Duals, CAI, 2 Toolboxes, amber lightbar, side mounted lights, 12V outlets in bed, 150W power inverter, fogs and secondary reverse lights, strobes, all factory options, 31" tires, drop-in bedliner, bedlined lower panels, 2nd gen rear bumper, several aftermarket mods. Planning to add more strobes and lights----sold
Closed Thread