2.7 to 3.2/3.5 Swap Information - Page 11 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Intrepid Talk > Dodge Intrepid 2nd Gen (98 - 04) > 2G Dodge Intrepid - General Talk

Closed Thread

Flyin Okie

Posted: 02-14-2012, 01:56 AM
State: OK
Post #201

Welcome,

Do an eBay search for "Dodge Intrepid 2.7 to 3.2 3.5 Engine Conversion Manual" with the seller being daytrepper. You won't be disappointed. I have the manual and am picking up my motor tomorrow.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

volaredon

Posted: 03-04-2012, 01:32 PM
older trucks ARE better!
State: IL
Post #202

what is different about the left side cam sprocket between the years?
I have a buddy w/an 02 Intrepid, he got an 00 3.2 from a yard, with NO accessories. and overpaid badly for it. They got it from another yard so I think he may be stuck with it. and can I take the flywheel from the o02 2.7 and put on the 00 3.2? Are both motor mounts different or just one?

TCPMeta

Posted: 03-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Post #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaredon View Post
what is different about the left side cam sprocket between the years?
I have a buddy w/an 02 Intrepid, he got an 00 3.2 from a yard, with NO accessories. and overpaid badly for it. They got it from another yard so I think he may be stuck with it. and can I take the flywheel from the o02 2.7 and put on the 00 3.2? Are both motor mounts different or just one?

The cam sprocket has different timing marks on it. You can re-use the 2.7L flexplate also. Motor mounts are the same.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

TCPMeta

Posted: 03-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Post #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Jr. View Post
Dan or anyone who can help,

I took all the advice here, and spent a bunch of money and I'm almost there, but having some problems. I have a 2000 Concorde. I swapped out the motor and put in a 2000 Chrysler 300M HO motor. I got everything in and hooked up and I tried the 300M ECU, and it wouldn't work, so I put in the 2.7l ECU and things seemed to work ok....for a little bit. Here's the situation that is happening now. The car starts right up when it is cold. It will run like a new engine for about 5 minutes. As soon as it warms up, just about when the thermostat will open. The car shuts down. Then it is very hard to start and it misses and carries on. If you let it get cold, it will run fine again until it warms up. The engine light came on, and it says ignition misfire, and crank shaft position sensor from the codes. The sensor was replaced, but there was no change.

Do you have any suggestions on what could be going on, or what the fix could be? I checked every ground and they all seem to be fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I know this is old but I hope this will reach you. You can only use the 300m PCM if you have the SKIM module and key that goes to the PCM. As for using the 2.7L PCM you could be having issues with a bad crank and cam positioning sensor. Always use OEM sensors, for some reason after market sensors don't work right and at times fail quickly.

Flyin Okie

Posted: 03-07-2012, 07:41 AM
State: OK
Post #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCPMeta View Post
Motor mounts are the same.
Found this out the hard way. The one on the donor motor had literally fallen apart.

Am just about done with my conversion

volaredon

Posted: 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM
older trucks ARE better!
State: IL
Post #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCPMeta View Post
The cam sprocket has different timing marks on it. You can re-use the 2.7L flexplate also. Motor mounts are the same.
Motor mounts the same? I had seen/heard somewhere that one was the same as the 3.2/3.5 and the other was not.

So the timing marks are different? If that engine is in time for what it is (an 00 3.2) why would I have to change it out then?

UPDATE The car is here in my garage the 3.2 went back yesterday;
the car owner went to the JY and talk to them, and they said that they would put his whole %1200 towards either a correct 3.5 or a replacement 2.7 or charge him only $100 restock fee. (reciept says 20% which would have been $240) so now I guess the plan is for me to pull the front off the 2.7 and check it out which was what i had suggested in the 1st place several months ago. Depending what I find there will tell whether to fix the 2.7 and get what miles they can from that or whether to go ahead with the 3.5 swap.

TCPMeta

Posted: 03-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Post #207

Chrysler changed the timing setup in early 01 as part of what I call their price cutting. For some reason this caused a change in the timing marks of the flexplate and cam sprocket for the crank and cam positioning sensors.

You can tell the difference by the PCM setup it uses. If it uses the single PCM/TCM combo unit then its a late 01 to 04 setup. If it uses the old two unit PCM and TCM then it's a 98 to early 01. Also you can tell by the EGR. in 02 to 04 Chrysler left out the EGR all together. Not to mention the SRV was changed from a vacuum setup to a electrical setup.

You could try using the 2000 flexplate and cam sprocket but I doubt it will start let alone run ruff.

Last edited by TCPMeta : 03-08-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Intrepido!

Posted: 04-17-2012, 07:41 AM
State: GA
Post #208

Just wanted to add 1 more conversion completed. car runs much smoother than before. DayTrepper is the man!!!!.

not sure if it's appropriate to post this here.
after completing the swap i have a few left over new parts, in case anyone's interested.
-Air Intake Hose brand new
-Camshaft Seal, both Driver and Passenger side
-Valve Cover Gasket, includes Sparkplug Seal
-Oil Pan Gasket
-Engine Rear Main Seal

Last edited by Intrepido! : 04-19-2012 at 08:17 AM.

GA02Stratus

2.7 to 3.5 swap in o2 stratus - Posted: 05-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Post #209

is it possible to do this in my stratus?

zeeduke

3.2 to 3.5 question - Posted: 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
State: MO
Post #210

i like to say thanks for all the insight you guys share, i was wondering if i can put a 3.2 in a 04 intrepid , i have read where the flywheels and cam gear are different , but is the block the same , can i use the 3.2 short block and put the 3.5 heads on it , i dont care about losing power , it would be much cheaper for me as i have a 3.2 and looking to buy a 2004 with a 3.5 , thanks for the help

cargurl83

2.7 to 3.2 swap info needed plz - Posted: 06-06-2012, 11:18 AM
State: OTHER
Post #211

I am in the middle of doing this swap. I am having a hard time finding the engine wiring harness. If anyone can help or has one for sale that would be so super great. I need this done and this is the last step. PLZ help this helpless cargurl!!!!!!

Intrepido!

Posted: 07-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Post #212

dltjmr

Posted: 09-29-2012, 11:48 AM
State: OTHER
Post #213

I was given a 2001 dodge Intrepid ES nice car loaded 3.2 autostick leather 127000 miles. the bad is it was hit hard in the rear . I bought a 2001 dodge intrepid with a bad 2.7 125000 miles. im planing on doing a engine swap and would like to do the autostick swap also. also thinking about doing a lether seat swap also does anybody have any info on doing a engine and autostick swap?

ddhardcore

Posted: 11-04-2012, 05:42 PM
State: ON
Post #214

Does rad fans from a 2002 intrepid 3.5 fit a 2001 2.7 rad

mtsufan16976

Posted: 04-20-2013, 11:18 AM
State: TN
Post #215

Hello I have done a 3.5 swap I have used this forum since the start.the carr runs great I am having one problem after warm up creeps up in temp. And I can turn the heat on and control it for awhile then it will do it again with the heat on also no smoke no oil in coolant no coolant in oil no combustion is coolant and no bubbling in resivor also has new water pump and thermostat any ideas?!

andyk

4.0 possible? - Posted: 04-26-2013, 03:01 PM
State: MN
Post #216

Does anyone know of the later 4.0 v6 from a minivan or Pacifica being swapped? It is a stroked 3.5 but I am not certain of what similarities or differences exist with the sensors and control system.

landen09

Posted: 06-08-2013, 09:58 AM
State: IN
Post #217

i done a lot of looking on this fourm its helped with my last 2.7 - 3.2 swap
a couple years ago i found a cheap 2000 intrepid with blown 2.7 but found a 1999 concorde with a 3.2 in it swaped them a few months later totaled the 2000
got the 3.2 pulled out its been sittin an waiting
came across a 2003 intrepid with blown 2.7
looked on this site again an relized that it says years have to match up? i with thru 5 pages too see if anybody asked why i didnt see that anybody did
but can anybody tell me what is the reason for the years have to be in a specific rage?

thanks even though kinda sounds confusing

Last edited by landen09 : 06-08-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: im a moron right there on first page first post over looked it geez

colorado2011

Posted: 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM
State: CO
Post #218

Hello. I have done a few of these swaps, but the one I am doing now is driving me nuts. It is however not in the same year brackets as I have ever done nor one that says can be done. The car is a 2004 Intrepid with the 2.7, and I have installed a 1999 3.2 engine. All I had to do was use the 2.7 wiring harness and change a few ends to sensors and extend some wiring to reach others. The car does run, however I am getting the P0344 code. I used to get a correlation code between the two but not any more. I get this one and an IAC code which I don't think there is anything I can do to fix that. the 2.7 has a 2 wire IAC and the 3.2 has a 4 wire. My question is this, what could cause my cam sensor intermittent code? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Closed Thread