Installed JetChips, stage 1 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
v6andahalf
Jackal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Installed JetChips, stage 1

I have a 2009 Dodge Dakota V6 3L:
- 40 series Flowmaster
- K&N cold air intake system (modified to fit)
- just recently installed JetChips stage one to the ECM

For people who don't know much about JetChips, they produce and manufacture programmers and chips for V6 and V8 vehicles, they are based out of Huntington Beach, CA. I ordered one for my truck, and noticed the performance increase immediately. More on the take off, the up-hills, and off the line and performance in general. I have noticed an increase in gas mileage as well, which is good, because I travel the streets a lot.

If your considering getting one of these chips, I highly recommend it for those who have a vehicle like mine. They have stage two models available, but a majority of those require 91 octane.

Just thought I'd share!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
ark-dakota

let us know how it holds up....I've heard that your computer will figure out that something is different in the system and change it back to normal.
#3 Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM
v6andahalf
Jackal

(Thread Starter)
Reply to previous post as requested:

This chip is continuing to do extremely well. I have gotten a couple tanks of gas since then and I have noticed my gas mileage go up quite a bit. What lasted me four days or so is now lasting me five to six.

I am loving this chip..

#4 Old 08-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Hellsmech

I heard the same thing as ark- dakota the the computer will reconfigure itsself. If it keeps on working tho I will seriously look into one. The MPG on mine kills me!
#5 Old 09-25-2010, 10:23 AM
AIR_RAM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good luck... Most people stay very far away from Jet Chip ... They do not have a very good track record. And in most cases the PCM does learn it and either stops using certain sensors or the PCM just frys up.

We will not even carry them on our site because I don't want to be associated with their chips... You will only find PROVEN performance parts on our site.... And the JET CHIPS are no where to be found.

Again, good luck... Im not sure if Superchips supports your application but if so, and you like the gains of the Jet Chip... a Programmer will be 10x's as good. Also more reliable.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

4.7L PERFORMANCE ENTHUSIAST - DODGE RAM's, DAKOTA's, DURANGO's & JEEP's.
#6 Old 09-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Hellsmech

Superchips

I bought a 3865 flashpaq for my 4.7 HO Dak. What a mess! I wont drag you through the story but it didnt work. Ended up sending it back for a refund, and lost out on the shipping charges both ways! Stay away from them in my opinion. Now I'm back to square one again.
#7 Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 PM
AIR_RAM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsmech View Post
I bought a 3865 flashpaq for my 4.7 HO Dak. What a mess! I wont drag you through the story but it didnt work. Ended up sending it back for a refund, and lost out on the shipping charges both ways! Stay away from them in my opinion. Now I'm back to square one again.
Not to say your situation was not unfortunate, as it most certainly sounds to have been... your situation is not the standard and does not identify a "trend" which is the case with Jet Chip.

Jet Chip is well documented to not only NOT work as in your case... but it also has a "TREND" of frying PCMs and leaving owners stranded.

If there was a trend with Superchips not working or Frying PCM's... I would most certainly pull it from our site. BUT in the last 8 years, our customers have not complained with their Superchips. We have NEVER had a Superchips returned... BUT I can say that we have had a few of the HYPERTECHS returned... I hate selling those because I'm always afraid that they will come back... its like selling a boomerang. Some customers love them and some dont. Its a 50/50 with them... and I have contemplating on pulling those from the site a few times... but again, those who love them really love them... so I'm not sure what the deal is with it.

So perhaps your Superchips issue was specific to your VIN... Chrysler has thousands of PCM part numbers which is what makes cracking the codes so difficult. And is why the aftermarket treats Chrysler like a red headed step child. Cracking the multiple PCM codes just takes too much time its almost not worth it.

Just a question though, what year Dakota and when did you have this issue with Superchips... PCM part numbers are added daily so its possible while they had an issue back when you last tried it, but have since got it right.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

4.7L PERFORMANCE ENTHUSIAST - DODGE RAM's, DAKOTA's, DURANGO's & JEEP's.
#8 Old 09-25-2010, 07:00 PM
flyingcat

I believe the poster with the chip has a 3.7L. I don't believe anyone makes a tuner that supports it so the Jet chip is the only option. I have the 3.7L and I love my truck. But for the one MPG savings in town my next one will have a V8. I bought the V6 because I did not have a need to tow anything. However, I must admit I miss having the extra two cylinders. I guess Dodge will not even make a Dakota by the time I am ready for something new. A shame as the Dakota is just the right size for my needs.

I too hope your Jet Chip continues to work, but have heard some of the same stories as others. Keep the updates going as I am sure there are several people watching with great interest. Always best to have a trailblazer here to spend the money before we do!
#9 Old 02-23-2011, 06:46 PM
rapta619
rapta619

any updates?

MY Truck:

2005 Atlantic Blue Dakota V8 SLT 4X4

heated cloth,bucket seats,tow package,chrome brush guard, sprayed bedliner, tannaue cover. K&N FIPK 57 series CAI,Royal purple all around

don't forget folks, dodge the father and ram the...
#10 Old 02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
v6andahalf
Jackal

(Thread Starter)
Another update..

My truck is still running very very well. It still has the power and get up and it still provides better gas mileage.

I still recommend this chip to others who have a model truck like mine. A 3.7L at least.

I can see how this would not work all that well if it was not put on the ECM properly, which is a possibility because it was a task on my truck. But yeah, my truck still sounds and runs extremely healthy.
#11 Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Hellsmech

06 Dak Super Chips

I tried the superchip about three months ago. I was just frustrated because of the customer service people. The web guy was great and so was a guy named Al over the phone, but otherwise I couldnt seem to get a straight answer from anyone else. Also when I asked to speak to the supervisor they had someone lie and say they were the supervisor.
I was just thinking about the Hypertech but now from your post I just dont know. Thanks for the info
#12 Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 AM
v6andahalf
Jackal

(Thread Starter)
Hellsmech,

Believe it or not it's real easy to put on. You just have to make sure once its on it stays on.

It's easy, open the hood and look to the left. You'll see a silver panel that has wired connections going into it, this is called the ECM. You really should unscrew it from the frame, however, if your arms are long enough, you can just pop it in there. Depending on the model of the chip you get it will tell you which colored mount to put it in.

From there, if you think you have it done, fire your truck up and see how it runs. If there are any error lights on, its not on correctly.

Word of warning though, you REALLY have to make sure its on there completely. If you need any help I can do what I can to help you out.

#13 Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Bigraider08

I have had a jet stage 1in my truck for going on 2 years now and I have not had one problem with I still works like the day I installed it

2008 mistu raider 3.7L
gibson dual sport exhaust
rough country 2.5" level kit with 1.5" blocks in rear
285/75/16 general grabber with red letters
xd hoss wheels black
k&n cai
jet stage 1 chip
rampage prerunner light bar 4 5" warn hid off raod lights

goodyear mtr with good tire if you can spend $1200 every 10k to 12k
#14 Old 12-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Bigraider08

Just to add a little something here i have had a jet chip in my 08 mitsubishi raider for going on 3 years and i have had no problem with it

2008 mistu raider 3.7L
gibson dual sport exhaust
rough country 2.5" level kit with 1.5" blocks in rear
285/75/16 general grabber with red letters
xd hoss wheels black
k&n cai
jet stage 1 chip
rampage prerunner light bar 4 5" warn hid off raod lights

goodyear mtr with good tire if you can spend $1200 every 10k to 12k
#15 Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Burndad

Ok, this all sounds great. Has anyone got some numbers to post? I understand dynos aren't cheap, but some mpg figures would be great. Please no 'it goes 356 mi before the needle is on E, or the console shows 17.2 avg' get the calc on your phone and divide the mi by gal. These numbers are what guys like us want to know. "It runs great" is a lil too vague.
#16 Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 PM
jeremywvu

Hypertech makes a programmer for the 3.7L. I have one on my 4.7L and I have been impressed with it for the last 3 years.

2008 Dadge Dakota CC Laramie (87,000 miles)
Sunburst Orange
4.7L FF HO V8
Leather/MyGIG
Truxedo Tonneau Cover
AirAid CAI, Hypertech 52001, AirRam PowerWire
17x9 V-TEC Raptor Wheels (black)
265-70R-17 Dick Cepek FC-2 Tires
Resonator removed
#17 Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Gearhead

I run Superchips 3865..highly recommend it, especially if you get a deal on a used, unlocked one

2006 4.7L Dakota*Superchips 3865*Hipotek TB*K&N Filter*Airaid Intake Tube*Magnaflow 12256*Sonnax*NGK 4644*Castrol Full Synthetic*Monroe Load Levelers*HID's*HHR Fan/Derale Controller*180 T-stat*COMING SOON: 2004 Ram 20's, Y pipe
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.