99 Caravan No Heat from DRIVERS side, HELP! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

dovecs

99 Caravan No Heat from DRIVERS side, HELP! - Posted: 10-28-2011, 07:51 PM
City: Las Vegas
State: NV
Post #1

1999 Caravan with Dual Climate control, there is no heat coming to the drivers side of the vehicle, the AC works great from both sides. I took the control panel off, and tried to 'reflow' some of the solder joints around the slider potentiometer, no help there. I have seen many posts with the exact opposite problem (no heat on passenger side), but have yet to see any as I have described, any ideas anyone? Here is a picture of the panel that is installed in our Caravan for reference, thanks everyone!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg climate control.JPG (9.0 KB, 33 views)
Advertisement

StandOnCliff

Posted: 10-29-2011, 08:54 PM
City: Dreary Erie
State: PA
Post #2

The unit has two blend doors. One for the drivers side and one for the passenger.
Blend doors are just that, blend hot with cool. If the door is stuck or inoperable it won't change temperature with the control.

To Remove:

WARNING
Make sure to disable the air bag system before doing work on or near the instrument panel.

1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
2.Remove the silencer panel from under the driver’s side of the instrument panel.
3.Remove the ABS control module.
4.Disconnect the electrical connector from the blend door actuator being serviced.
5.Remove the actuator mounting screws and the actuator.

After it's fixed you might want to recalibrate it. Or you can try recalibrating to see if it begins working first.

CALIBRATION/DIAGNOSTICS TEST ENTRY
TO INITIATE TESTS:
Set Blower motor ON HIGH
Set Mode position to Panel
Open all A/C outlets
Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped)
Depress WASH and REAR WIPER button simultaneously for 5 Seconds (Until all LED's light)
RESULTS:
All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds
Calibration Test is running when REAR WIPER and INTERMITTENT are alternately flashing. Cooldown test is running if A/C and RECIRC are alternately flashing.
Acceptable results is REAR WIPER LED is the only LED flashing. Push Rear Wiper to exit.
Attached Images
File Type: gif HVAC.gif (54.3 KB, 7 views)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

dovecs

No Heat - Posted: 10-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Thank-you!

dovecs

Changed parts, almost fixed, now what? - Posted: 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Ran the diagnostic / calibration test, still no heat on drivers side.

Went to the bone-yard and got another head-unit ($22), replaced it, ran the test again, same results.

Went to Dodge dealer, purchased blend door actuator assembly ($91), changed that today. Ran diagnostic / calibration test, after the test was complete all LED's went out. Now, when I move the Drivers side slider from cold to hot, I can hear the new motor moving, but the temperature only changes from cold to warm air (not hot) on the drivers side. When I move the Passenger slider from cold to hot the air coming from the dash is much warmer (ie hot).

Grasping at straws, decided to put my original head unit back, ran the diagnostic / calibration test, same exact results.

I am now thinking the blend door itself is not moving completely for some reason, anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE: Took the vehicle out last night, while driving through the cold night air, the 'warm' air that WAS coming through on the drivers side vents earlier today while idling in my driveway totally went away, now just cold air on drivers side again. When I stopped at a light for a few minutes, it started to warm up slightly, but never actually got 'warm'. Went outside a minute ago to check the coolant level (I was hoping it was low), but radiator is full, overflow tank is about 1/2. I am getting frustrated, help!!!
Thanks!

Last edited by dovecs : 11-20-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Update
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

StandOnCliff

Posted: 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
City: Dreary Erie
State: PA
Post #5

Sounds like the blend door itself isn't moving as it should. When the actuator is removed you should be able to manually open and close it. You could also pull the passenger actuator and use it's movement to compare results.
There could also be the possibility a pen or something else dropped through the defrost vent and is now stopping the door from operating correctly. Hopefully this isn't your problem. Pulling the unit apart isn't one of the easiest tasks to do.

dovecs

Changed thermostat - Posted: 11-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Post #6

Decided to change thermostat, no real improvement. So, here's my latest thoughts / observations, would appreciate some comments:

When I pulled the old Blend Door unit out, there was a plastic piece that fell off onto the floor of the van as I removed the Blend Door assembly, it resembled a gear cog of sorts. I examined it, it did not appear to be broken or damaged, it looked like it slid onto the shaft that protruded from the back of the blend door assembly. This part is obviously crucial to proper operation. My initial fear was that upon reassembly I was not sure which way this gear cog was supposed to fit, but as it turned out, it could only fit one way.

I also noticed that the shaft protruding from the back of the old Blend door unit was at one clock position, most likely where it decided to fail, while the shaft on the new unit was at a different clock position, most likely the factory default position. I tried to move the shaft on the new motor so its clock position would approximate the old one, but it wouldn't budge, so I decided to put the gear cog on the shaft the only way it would fit, then I installed the new Blend Door Unit, I figured the calibration process would take care of the clock position.

So, if the gear cog was installed at an incorrect clock position as I described, is it possibly it is so far off that the calibration process could not realign it? As I mentioned, when I run the calibration process, it terminates without errors.

Also, here is more information and another symptom: There are 5 (front facing) vents on the dash. The drivers side slider controls the air temperature from 3 of those, the 2 in the middle, and 1 that is far left. When I move the driver side slider to HOT, the 1 on the far left stays relatively cool (although not COLD), while the 1 in the middle that is closest to the passenger side actually gets warm (but not HOT like the air coming from the passengers vents when I move the passenger slider to HOT). This happens whether or not the passenger slider is on COLD or HOT, kind of strange, but maybe another clue?