How to remove steering column cover - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Intrepid Talk > Dodge Intrepid 1st Gen (93 - 97)

95intrepider

How to remove steering column cover - Posted: 08-19-2008, 07:50 AM
State: MD
Post #1

Hi, i'm having an issue where when the lights are turned on, there is a tiny bit of smoke coming from the steering column where the turn signal lever is mounted.

I want to take a look at the wiring that runs through the steering column, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the plastic cover off. Can anyone give me directions on how to do so or shed any light on this problem?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PIPIntrepid

Posted: 08-19-2008, 07:13 PM
City: Williamsburg Virginia
State: VA
Post #2

Take the knee bolster off. Then you should have 2-4 bolts/screws on the bottom half of the steering colum. If your wanting to totally drop the steering colum then raise the steering colum and take the knee bolster down and where the dash cage is , you will see some bolts bolted directly to the dash cage and you unbolt those and the whole shaft and steering wheel will drop into the seat.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RT2NV

Posted: 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Intrepid Madness!
City: Kelowna
State: BC
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

First remove tilt steering lever, next remove the top and bottom halves of the column cover. There are three torx screws located in the bottom half of it.
I have an good idea it's quite possibly the Multifunction Switch thats going bad on you.

RomeoTango

steering column cover - Posted: 06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
State: ME
Post #4

how do remove the tilt lever? I have all the screws out - did I over look a screw on the tilt lever?

RT2NV

Posted: 06-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Intrepid Madness!
City: Kelowna
State: BC
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Yes, there is just one. I believe it's a torx screw.

RomeoTango

Posted: 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM
State: ME
Post #6

thanks - I'll have to look again - not seeing it