1996 thru 2000 Dodge Caravan Transmission Issues. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

starcop

1996 thru 2000 Dodge Caravan Transmission Issues. - Posted: 07-07-2009, 08:44 PM
State: ID
Post #1

Howdy All, Just a note for Dodge Grand Caravan owners, my wife told me our 1999 Caravan had transmission problems and asked to borrow mine, 1997 AWD. So I test drove her van. When I started out the van would "buck" and hard shift to second and go directly into "Limp Mode". So I checked fluid, dropped the pan, changed the filter and fluid, still same thing. So I took it to the transmission shop, the one with the big A-_co; yeah, that one. They told me, it needs to be rebuilt, around $1200.00 to $1700.00 depending on certain issues it may have. So forget that, I've been a mechanic for several years, I just never specialized in transmissions, always replaced them. So I started reading on-line about simular problems and found the output sensor on this tranny is what controls the speedo and monitors the trannys speed, shift points etc, like a "tone ring" on a wheel speed sensor. I replaced the part, $4.00 dollars at my local salvage yard and the transmission shifts like new. So I guess the moral of the story is, 96 thru 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan owners, if you have transmission problems, look at those things first. The sensor is on the front of the tranny farthest to the right, (1 inch socket) two wire plug. Green and blue wires. The second sensor is above the transmission servo pack; right smack dab in the middle of the tranny, below the two fluid lines going to the radiator. They are the transmission cooler lines; they run through the radiator to cool the fluid. That sensor too has two wires, 1 inch socket. You can change both sensors in 20 minutes with easy assembly! Change both, they run in tandem. See Ya! Hope this helps someone too.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

donald7150

Posted: 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
State: OTHER
View This User's Garage
Post #2

Yup I did the EXACT same thing
The first telltale was i had no speedometer
I would drive about 15 feet, a hard clunk, and it would stick to second gear
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Closed Thread