Cat or Muffler - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
regliz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Cat or Muffler

If you could do just one which would give you the best HP. and mileage a high flow cat or a after market muffler. I guess what I'm asking on a stock exhaust which constricts the most air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Ccass
DodgeTalk Sponsor

On most vehicles a performance muffler and hi flow cat flow about the same air. From a performance standpoint they will do about the same. Figure 2-5hp for either. Straight through mufflers flow a little better and if a motor has a higher hp rating, you can expect maybe a little better gain. Now compare that to mandrel bent piping replacing an exhaust that had compression bent piping and you will gain anywhere from 15 to 50 hp! The big gains are in the piping, not the muffler or the cats. That being said, I'd do the muffler because it's cheaper and doesn't void your warranty.

Fool around, Get hurt, Don't come crying to me
Official DodgeTalk Supporter

#3 Old 04-15-2013, 06:06 PM
snowfighter10

My stock exhaust on my 88 looks so restricted! The factory y-pipe is more like a
T-pipe. I plan on keeping factory manifolds but from a 92 or newer. According to one of the other members on this site, they will have 2-1/4 inch outlets. I want to go 2-1/4 all the way to the new y-pipe then into 3 inch the rest of the way back. Mandrel bent, free flow cat (or cat delete). Then a quiet but non-restrictive muffler. My days of LOUD exhausts are over. Less attention from Johnny Law, plus I don't need to sound like I'm going fast. It's a truck, for Pete's sake! I just want the Gray Goat to breathe a little better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.