What's the Best Rustproofing Method? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#1 Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 AM
Mohawk72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What's the Best Rustproofing Method?

Howdy from the Salty North,

Here in Central NY they pride themselves on spreading as much salt around as they can. The roads here are actually white with it as soon as the first snow flake flies. Syracuse actually is called Salt City as they had Indians mining salt here years ago.

Soooo, My big question is, How can I make my NEW truck last as long as I can?

As a kid, I worked for Ziebart Rustproofing so I know all the spots that are normally hit. The extra spots they hit are from drilling holes in the bottom of doors and spraying inside the doors and fenders and sealing the spots with rubber plugs.

I really think I can do a better job myself using the spray can rust proofing.
And I then have control to get into all the little nooks and crannies where they normally won't hit.
I am going to remove the fender liners and get behind them and I can even pull the bed if needed.
Pulling the Cab is Major work and too many wires and connections to deal with. But I have done that on older trucks.

I want to do this while the truck is still new and squeaky clean underneath.

It's so pretty underneath I actually got under and took some pics with the digital.

Let me know what you all think is the best method?
And what you think is the Best Spray on Brand?

Mohawk72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 AM
johndoe123

Washing the vehicle w/ undercarriage wash after driving through freshly salted roads and on a regular basis does wonders...

I no longer live in the rust belt. Here they use sand. Much better.
#3 Old 09-01-2009, 11:45 AM
finc.jb

Here in Winnipeg, I got an "active" cathodic(spelling?) rust prevention system. I was told that it is the same system that is used in the oil industry and in salt mines etc...
It has a control unit under the hood and 2 sacrificial anodes attached(1 in the hood area and 1 under the truck on the frame by the box). The theory is that the anodes will rust away before anything happens to the truck and you would just replace them and not body panels.

Hope this helps you out

'09 Sunburst Orange Sport CrewCab 4x4 in the driveway

4th Gen Truck Club #24 & Orange Truck Club #24
#4 Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 PM
macleoud

where you get this? what was the cost?

O9 QCSB SLT 4X2 Hemi
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl//Bucket Seats//20% Tint w/Brow
Air Ram Hood//K&N CAI
Line-x Bed liner//Recon Line of Fire//
Amsoil 5w-20 & oil Filter//
4th Gen Truck Club # 12//Hemi Owners Club #2012
Black Truck Club #2012 //Quad Cab Club #2012
Military Truck Club #12 Semper Fi
#5 Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
05DodgeDakota
Devil's Advocate

I undercoated my whole truck with the 3M and Duplicolor brand stuff from Advance Auto Parts. Stuff is expensive though, about $11 a can, and it takes alot.

Charlie

08 Dodge Ram 1500 SXT RCSB 4x2 w/ 4.7, Auto, 3.55 LSD
FASTEST 4.7 Ram

SOLD - and then bought a 4 banger chevy lol
Then sold that POS and now have a 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
#6 Old 09-01-2009, 06:20 PM
05DodgeDakota
Devil's Advocate

Also just pressure wash the under side alot and thencoat the whole thing with WD-40, works wonders!

Charlie

08 Dodge Ram 1500 SXT RCSB 4x2 w/ 4.7, Auto, 3.55 LSD
FASTEST 4.7 Ram

SOLD - and then bought a 4 banger chevy lol
Then sold that POS and now have a 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
#7 Old 09-02-2009, 09:40 AM
finc.jb

I actually got it from my dealer, it is part of their "Diamond Kote" protection package. At lunch I'll go and see if there is a brand name on the control unit and post it up for all. Cost was around 500 CDN for the unit and paint sealer installed.

#8 Old 09-02-2009, 06:49 PM
td_20

Quote:
Originally Posted by finc.jb View Post
Here in Winnipeg, I got an "active" cathodic(spelling?) rust prevention system. I was told that it is the same system that is used in the oil industry and in salt mines etc...
It has a control unit under the hood and 2 sacrificial anodes attached(1 in the hood area and 1 under the truck on the frame by the box). The theory is that the anodes will rust away before anything happens to the truck and you would just replace them and not body panels.

Hope this helps you out
We use this at work, Cathodic protection systems are most commonly used to protect steel, water or fuel pipelines and storage tanks, steel pier piles, ships, offshore oil platforms and onshore oil well casings.

Here is a link to automotive one.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...n%2BSystem.jsp

2009 Dodge 1500 Laramie Crew Cab, Red, Hemi, 4x4, 20 inch wheels, 3.92 gear, Ram box, Nav, Rear view cam, Rear DvD,
#9 Old 09-02-2009, 07:06 PM
DartBoy01
Harrison

POR-15 it will last longer than your truck ever will.

http://www.por15.com/

1999 Dakota R/T
Interior fully Dynamatted, B&M Hammer Shifter, 2" DJM Coils, Sir Michaels Roll Pan & Handle Relocator, '69 Camaro chin spoiler, K&N FIPK, Spintech Headers and full side exit exhaust, Mopar Performance PCM, Viper E-fan w/ Painless performance temp controller, F&B 52mm T-body, Mopar M1 2BBL intake, 180* T-stat, Dual A-pillar pod w/ AEM Wideband, AEM trans temp gauge, stock smoked tails, Clear corners and headlights with Morimoto mini projectors 6K HID and 3k fogs 20" Boss 330 wheels, Cal-Tracs, SRT-4 Seats, Performance built transmission with 2500 stall, Hotchkis sway bars, Energy Suspension poly bushing set.

Awaiting install: Hotchkis leaf springs, C-notch, Viper front brakes, Innovations Pro Sport Tonneau.

SCT Tuned by Hemifever!

Hopefully in the future...
408, 4.10 gears, Edelbrock aluminum heads, Rear disc conversion, cowl or shaker hood and more as I think of them.

My Project
1972 Dart Swinger Special
and eventually a 1978 Dodge D-100 Adventurer standard cab short bed W/ a 440!

#10 Old 09-02-2009, 11:18 PM
finc.jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_20 View Post
We use this at work, Cathodic protection systems are most commonly used to protect steel, water or fuel pipelines and storage tanks, steel pier piles, ships, offshore oil platforms and onshore oil well casings.

Here is a link to automotive one.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...n%2BSystem.jsp
That one isn't active though as far as I know. It doesn't have any sacrificial anodes.

#11 Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Heminut
heminut

Hi Mohawk: I am just south of ya in Potter county Pa. and we got same problem.I spray entire under carriage with used trnsmission oil twice a year.I drill 1/2" holes in doors,sills and any place that I cant get the "rockershultz " gun into.It stinks for around a week,but,after 7 years of 90,000+ miles my 02 Dakota looked like new.I also wax it at least 2 more times in a heated garage in winter.After it warmes up,I wire brush (hand and power) all of the painted parts underneath and re-paint with either a spray rustoleum or by spray gun. It really works,but,be prepared for some smell for a week ! LOL
#12 Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM
jeeper3b

hi Mohawk, here in super salty Nova Scotia Canada, we have salt on the roads and salt in the air , for a wet undercoating I like the product called Fluid Film. the stuff creeps like crazy and its enviro clean . you can buy it in spray bombs or by the litre/gallon.

2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
5.7 HEMI 4x4 Bright Silver
MOPAR steps and tonneau
Dynomax Ultra Flo exhaust
Superchips Cortex 3950
HBS 2" Level
305/55 20 BFG KM2
#13 Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Heminut
heminut

Will they ship that stuff to the U.S.A. ? An awful lot of paints are no longer allowed even by common carrier here in Penna. In order to get oil based paint for his barn,my pal had to drive to Virginia to get it.More crazy Govt crap.
#14 Old 09-04-2009, 12:47 AM
topgun

There are a lot of products available in Canada that aren't available here in the states. Not sure what to do and time is running out fast.

I do see that the Fluid Film is available here. Does it wash off and need to be reapplied every few years? Kinda like the Crown stuff you guys have up there?

2012 2500 HD Hemi Crew Outdoorsman 4X4, Black and MG

Cooper AT3's, Bedrug, AMP Power Steps, Corsa Exhaust, Undercover SE, S&B Intake, Moroso Catch Can
#15 Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 AM
Heminut
heminut

Topgun: Is yers an TRX4 ? looks kinda like mine except mine has the slightly darker metalic bumpers and fender flares.If ya "clay" it, you will be suprized as the metalic silver really comes to life. I think all those products are fine,but,I will stick to the oil as it has been working for over 30 years for me.
#16 Old 09-04-2009, 08:57 AM
topgun

No, it is a Sport.

Doesn't the oil drip for days? I assume you mean old motor oil?

2012 2500 HD Hemi Crew Outdoorsman 4X4, Black and MG

Cooper AT3's, Bedrug, AMP Power Steps, Corsa Exhaust, Undercover SE, S&B Intake, Moroso Catch Can
#17 Old 09-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Heminut
heminut

Naw..I aquire used trans oil as it seems to soak in better.Try this,I paint my drive shaft,but,stock they rust up fast.Wipe a rusty spot with an oil soaked rag,examine next day after parking over a telltale spot...do it several days in a row,it takes many times to drip....even after soaking any vehicle and allowing it to drip while driving over an dusty road...this dust sticks just a little and viola...no problem.The holes I drill in the door sills are just about half way towards the hinge side.You can stick the gun nozzle into the door latch openings etc.First,go to a NAPA store and get an $3 bag of 1/2" plugs to put into the holes.In fact,I drill the holes,ream slightly to de-burr,then wipe in a generous amout of rustoelum paint and this stops any rust of the bare metal from drilling.I shoot all the frame,suspension arms etc until it runs out...do the underhood stuff to..not the exhaust manifolds or serp belt....the dusty road drive and its over! DO NOT SPRAY ANY OF THE EXHAUST...it should be obvious,but,I dont want y'all showin up here after yer Ram burnt up.LOL
#18 Old 09-05-2009, 05:28 PM
jeeper3b

fluid film comes from the states, here is a link to the site . http://www.fluid-film.com/company.html It is a nice product that wont drip unless you put on way to much.

2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
MOPAR steps and tonneau
Superchips Cortex 3950
HBS 2" Level
305/55 20 BFG KM2
#19 Old 09-05-2009, 11:38 PM
Heminut
heminut

Hey Jeeper: Im interested,but,can not get pricing from their website.How much is a gallon ?
#20 Old 09-06-2009, 07:00 AM
jeeper3b

Here is a link to an online store that ships, http://www.theruststore.com/Fluid-Film-C67.aspx
the stuff is a bit expensive , but it does work.

2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
MOPAR steps and tonneau
Superchips Cortex 3950
HBS 2" Level
305/55 20 BFG KM2
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.