TRUCK WONT START, Dealership Says TIPM - Page 3 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
Closed Thread

#41 Old 07-03-2009, 08:21 PM
piscesgirly777

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wink

haha. thats sweet of u to say.

Lacy

1999 Dodge Durango
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#42 Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 AM
supersampson12

Try this, remove IOD fuse, Dont put it back in, turn the key to run and listen for the fuel pump, if you hear the fuel pump then it should start. crank with key, if it wont crank with key then jump the starter ( you can use the yellow wire under the hood by the battery, or crawl underneath) see if it starts. I used to work for dodge, those tipms go bad from being jumped off with a booster box after sitting on a dealer or auctions lot 4 ever. Thats code usually is the tipm, you might of had two problems, the wcm and your key issue, and now your tipm crapped out. Its very hard to tell with out a STARSCAN, so i would say the dealer will be your only option. Plus you need the starscan to program your tipm and it needs to connect to the internet ethernet cable and your truck at the same time to download vehicle configuration, after that the wcm and keys need to be programmed again. If you were here in dallas i could help you out, i can still go to the dealer and use their scanner, lol. Good luck with your truck, I saw alot of similar problems with trucks from small used car lots. Also make sure that the battery is still charged, cuz it wont start with under 10 volts.
#43 Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 AM
blackhemi4x4
Shut up and drive!

Its pretty early here while I'm reading this..

first, very sorry you are having this type of issue. I also own an 07 and pray I dont run into this problem.

It does seem to be the TIPM, but is there any signs at all that there may have been any kind of aftermarket security system? I had a very similar issue with a different car, ended up being a leftover relay that would kill my ignition every time it grounded. It was hidden under the dash, took me weeks to figure that problem out. Just a thought though. I really wish you best of luck!

2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

mods: debadged
future mods: Exhaust, tires, tow hooks, skid plates, a/t tires, red brake calipers, maybe a tuner, line-x, 12" ported sub under a seat, colormatched grille
-Will be keeping it mostly stock.

My G/F also has the same truck, only hers is 100% stock-2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

Former owner of 2007 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn 5.7
99 Neon ES auto
01 Neon ES 5 speed
a handful of dodge Shadows (4 of them, all running)
early 90's D50

Im no longer amotorkat :P

#44 Old 07-04-2009, 09:31 AM
hemi1569
All Around Great Guy

Alright picses girl....

NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: July 04,2008

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-007-08, DATED MARCH 04, 2008. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

DO NOT ORDER PART NUMBER 05026070AP UNTIL JULY 21, 2008. ALL OTHER PART NUMBERS ARE AVAILABLE NOW.

SUBJECT:
No Engine Crank Or No Engine Start Due To Electronic Lockup Of The WCM / SKREEM

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves the replacement of the Wireless Control Module (WCM), and if equipped, the replacement of the Electric Steering Column Lock (ELV). The WCM is also referred to as the Sentry Key Remote Entry Module (SKREEM).

MODELS:

2007 - 2008 (DR/DH/D1/DC/DM)Ram Truck (1500/2500/3500/4500/5500)

2007 - 2008 (JK) Wrangler

2007 - 2008 (J1) Sebring (China)

2007 - 2008 (JS) Avenger/Sebring

2007 - 2008 (KA) Nitro

2008 (KK) Liberty/Cherokee

2007 - 2008 (MK) Compass/Patriot

2007 - 2008 (PM) Caliber

2006 - 2008 (PT) Chrysler PT Cruiser

NOTE :This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before May 05, 2008 (MDH 0505XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module (WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.

DIAGNOSIS:

1. With the condition present (i.e. the vehicle in the no crank / no start condition), connect the StarSCAN(R) scan tool to the vehicle.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON position, and power up the StarSCAN(R).

3. If the WCM is electronically locked up, the StarSCAN(R) will display the WCM as being "off bus".

4. If the no crank / no start condition is present, and the WCM is "off bus", then reset the WCM by temporarily removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch), wait for 10 seconds and then reinstall the IOD fuse.

5. With the IOD fuse reset having been performed, verify that the vehicle will now crank, start, and run.

6. If the condition is temporarily corrected by performing the above steps, and if the part number of the WCM is earlier than the part number of the WCM listed in the part reference table in the Service Bulletin Parts Required Section below, then perform the Repair Procedure.

NOTE :The part numbers listed in the following part reference table are to be used as A GUIDE to help determine if the WCM, that is currently in the vehicle, may require replacement. If it is determined that the WCM requires replacement, then ALWAYS REFER TO THE PARTS MANUAL to determine the correct WCM for the specific vehicle in question. In some earlier model years, the WCM may rule (supersede) to one of the part numbers listed in the table. ALWAYS REFER TO THE PARTS MANUAL (not the part reference table) to determine the correct part number ruling (supercedence / substitution). MAKE CERTAIN THAT THE CORRECT WCM IS ORDERED THE FIRST TIME FOR THE SPECIFIC VEHICLE IN QUESTION.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

NOTE :If the vehicle (a JS model vehicle in certain International markets) is equipped with an Electric Steering Column Lock (ELV), then the WCM and the ELV must be replaced. Replace the WCM and then the ELV. Next program the WCM and at least one (1) ignition key BEFORE programming the ELV. IMPORTANT: Not following this repair process correctly will cause the new ELV to fail.

NOTE :Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder. This will move the shaft lock module locking bolt to the unlocked position. LEAVE the key in the lock cylinder while the shaft lock module is being removed.

1. If vehicle is equipped with a Steering Shaft Lock Module (JS - Avenger I Stratus - some International Markets), then the Shaft Lock Module will require replacement. From the Service Info tab select: 8 - Electrical > Vehicle Theft Security - Security Information > Module, Shaft Lock > Removal and Installation.

NOTE :The shaft lock module cannot be removed from the steering column while the locking bolt is in the locked position without irreversibly damaging the column. Before attempting service, the ignition key must have been inserted into the ignition lock cylinder. Then rotate the steering wheel from side to side. If the steering wheel can be rotated, the locking bolt is in the unlocked position. Leave the key in the ignition lock cylinder until shaft lock module removal has been completed. If the steering wheel cannot be rotated, test and repair the wiring circuits between the module and the ignition switch as required. If no problem is found in these circuits, the module has failed with the locking bolt in the locked position and both the module and the steering column must be replaced with new units.

2. Replace the WCM/SKREEM. Refer to TechCONNECT for detailed service information. From the Service Info tab select: 8 - Electrical > Vehicle Theft Security - Service Information > Module, Sentry Key Remote Entry > Removal and Installation.

NOTE :Obtain the vehicle PIN number prior to programming WCM/SKREEM or ELV.

NOTE :If during the following steps the PIN number is properly entered but is rejected, then reenter the PIN number again until it is accepted.

3. After both the WCM/SKREEM and the ELV (if equipped) have been replaced, Program the WCM/SKREEM as follows:

a. Turn the ignition key to the ON position, (Engine Off)

b. Connect the scan tool (StarSCAN(R)) to the data link connector and turn the ignition to the RUN position, (engine off).

c. Select "ECU View."

d. Scroll down and select "WCM" in the list of modules.

e. Select "Misc. Functions."

f. Scroll to "WCM Replaced."

g. Press "Start".

h. Press "Next".

i. Select "Show Keyboard".

j. Enter the vehicle PIN number.

k. Select "Next".

l. Verify PIN is correct.

m. Select "Next".

n. Follow on-screen prompts to complete WCM function programing for Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) and so on.

0. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. Wait 30 seconds.

p. Turn the ignition key to the ON position, (Engine Off)

q. Select "ECU View".

r. Scroll down and select "WCM" in the list of modules.

s. Select "Misc. Functions."

t. Select "Program Ign. Keys" and follow on-screen prompts.

u. Select "Complete".

v. Verify ignition key will start vehicle and the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) functions operate.

CAUTION :If the vehicle is equipped with a Shaft Lock Module (used in some International Markets on JS model vehicles), then at least one (1 ignition key must have been programmed to the new WCM BEFORE the new Shaft Lock Module is "married" to the new WCM.

4. Is the vehicle equipped with Steering Shaft Lock Module (ELV)?

a. Yes >> Proceed to Step # 5.

b. No >>Repair is complete.

5. Program the ELV as follows;

a. Select "ECU View".

b. Scroll down and select "WCM" in the list of modules.

c. Select "Misc. Functions".

d. Scroll to "ELV Replaced."

e. Press "Start".

f. When complete, verify steering shaft lock mechanism is operating. Remove and insert key from the ignition lock cylinder and listen for solenoid "click at lower end of column.

I would say imo that the part you need is the 224an prefix.... the dm is for a 5500 series truck the 224an is for 1/2 tons through 4500 series trucks... Hope this helps. I would have had it out the door by now.
Attached Images
File Type: gif dt pic screem.gif (23.7 KB, 182 views)

Names' Kevin
9/26/09 htc rally, best run 4880lbs, full street trim minus tailgate
14.31 @ 93.52
6.1 cam and pushrods
Ramhammer intake
Doug's headers(mids) with factory cats
catback

http://www.streetfire.net/video/6500...ift_740132.htm
My 6500rpm superchip shift 0 to 60mph video

Knock retard limitations by the pcm on a stock tune, it can pull:
15.0 degrees at low RPM's
5.0 degrees at 6000 RPM
9.0 degrees at 4800 RPM's.

Last edited by hemi1569; 07-04-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: edit info...
#45 Old 07-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Rich 2500

That's some good Info.

Elec. Blue 07 2500 Thunderoad QC Hemi 4X4

BTC #181

Mopar Cai, Mopar SS Nerf Bars, Mopar Tow Mirrors, Mopar Wheel Well Liners, EGR In Channel Window Vents, Tinted Windows 30%, Hella 500's behind the grill, Gibson Dual Sport Catback Exhaust, Magna Flow "Y" Pipe, Jet Stream Scoop, Power Wire, LineX Bedliner, Flexalite 180 Efan (shrouldless), Jet 180 Thermostat, Edge Evolution (used as monitor) DiabloSport Predator, Solid Steel Industries-Steering Stabilizer, Carli Starter Suspension System, Carli Adj. Track Bar, Toyo 35/12.50/17 MT on Stock Wheels, Carli Anti Sway Bar, Xeon Fogs 6000K

#46 Old 07-04-2009, 09:53 AM
blackhemi4x4
Shut up and drive!

holy crap, thats techy! Real good info

2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

mods: debadged
future mods: Exhaust, tires, tow hooks, skid plates, a/t tires, red brake calipers, maybe a tuner, line-x, 12" ported sub under a seat, colormatched grille
-Will be keeping it mostly stock.

My G/F also has the same truck, only hers is 100% stock-2010 Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4 5.7 HEMI Big Horn

Former owner of 2007 Ram QC 4x4 BigHorn 5.7
99 Neon ES auto
01 Neon ES 5 speed
a handful of dodge Shadows (4 of them, all running)
early 90's D50

Im no longer amotorkat :P

#47 Old 07-04-2009, 03:22 PM
piscesgirly777

(Thread Starter)
ok, thats it. I am moving to new york or texas. o.....wait, i dont have a truck to move with.....

Lacy

1999 Dodge Durango
#48 Old 07-04-2009, 03:28 PM
hemi1569
All Around Great Guy

Picses, just follow this TSB, and mention it or print it out. Any compentent tech should check dealer connect to see if there are tsb's that need to be performed or flashes for the pcm. I used to work for dodge and that was my first step if i did not automatically know or have a hunch of what the problem was(driveability problems)...
Hope you get it running, i know what it is like, when i was younger and got into stuff i shouldn't have. Today's vehicles are just like the pc's we are typing on, and if your computer is not on the bus line(major communication with all sensors and modules) then you will be sol...

Let us know your status.

Names' Kevin
14.31 @ 93.52
6.1 cam and pushrods
Ramhammer intake
catback

5.0 degrees at 6000 RPM
#49 Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 PM
hemi1569
All Around Great Guy

pull the iod fuse up, give it a good 30 seconds, then push it back down and make sure it is secure. I have seen vehicles shut down because people have hit potholes on the dirt roads they live on and it has pushed the iod fuse up enough to kill the engine(probably was never securely pushed down by the tech during the initial inspection.
Try and start the truck.

Names' Kevin
14.31 @ 93.52
6.1 cam and pushrods
Ramhammer intake
catback

5.0 degrees at 6000 RPM
#50 Old 07-04-2009, 03:42 PM
mopar fan
Retired DT Admin

Before this is over we will get her on the right track. Lot's of good info here.

Name's AL

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

#51 Old 07-04-2009, 03:58 PM
piscesgirly777

(Thread Starter)
we did try pulling the iod fuse up.... it made the keyless remote work better, but still no start/no crank. I am going to ask my dad to recharge the battery tho, it has been sittin 2 weeks with the key bein flipped quite a bit...... my dad was wondering tho, if anyone had a diagram of the wiring for this or of where the modules are located. We know where the TIPM is, but thats it.

Lacy

1999 Dodge Durango
#52 Old 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM
hemi1569
All Around Great Guy

Good idea on the battery
12.2 volts or more is good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tipm 3.jpg (122.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg tipm module.jpg (148.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg tipm module 2.jpg (132.1 KB, 13 views)

Names' Kevin
14.31 @ 93.52
6.1 cam and pushrods
Ramhammer intake
catback

5.0 degrees at 6000 RPM
#53 Old 07-04-2009, 05:53 PM
piscesgirly777

(Thread Starter)
o u are awesome!!!! I will try to get these diagrams to my dad asap!!! he keeps saying I just dont know where anything is on this truck..... hopefully this will help him.... as for the taking it to the dealership.....um.... can we hold a fundraiser???? lol......

Lacy

1999 Dodge Durango
#54 Old 07-04-2009, 07:34 PM
hemi1569
All Around Great Guy

lol

Names' Kevin
14.31 @ 93.52
6.1 cam and pushrods
Ramhammer intake
catback

5.0 degrees at 6000 RPM
#55 Old 07-04-2009, 07:50 PM
TEDDYCHK

Well to get it to tulsa maybe you can get a friend that has AAA premium service. AAA will tow the vehicle up to 200 miles for members with the premium service. All the member has to do is say he was riding in the truck......

I know that does not help as far as paying for getting it fixed, but it might help get the truck there and get your bill down some.

08 Ram, QC, Lone Star, 4x4, Electric Blue, HEMI, w/coin holder....
98 Dodge Neon R/T sedan, 2L DOHC, 246k miles and still getting 34 mpg
Huber Heights, OH, USA
Military Truck Club 111 /Blue Truck club 211 /QC /4X4 club #40 /HEMI /5 Club #21 /100k #21

K&N AIRCHARGER, Ranch Hand Grill Guard, Ranch Hand Steel Diamond plate tool box, Ranch Hand 2" square steel headache rack, 2" square bed rails, diamond plate bed rail caps, Browns welding diamond plate wheel to wheel running boards, Frontier heavy duty diamond plate rear bumper, Toff spray in over rail bed liner, towing mirrors (after market e-bay), fold flat storage, Code Alarm 671 w/remote start and car link module, Jimmi Jammers all 4 doors, rear wheel liners, 4 Hella 500FF (2 driving, 2 fog), Smittybilt 97281 XRC Black Winch, Hellwig EZ-990 Medium duty helper springs, Powder coated OEM alloy wheels, Cooper Zeon LTZ stock sized tires, Bushwacker Extend-a-Fender flares. Rancho Quick Lift Stuts on the front and Monroe Sensa Track Load Adjusting Shocks on the rear.
#56 Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 PM
trenton

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just go out and find a local car theif and have him hot wire it up good to go get right by all the factory security crap lol
#57 Old 07-05-2009, 10:58 AM
piscesgirly777

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

that's just great advice..... man u guys must be tired of hearin me whine.....lol

Lacy

1999 Dodge Durango
#58 Old 07-05-2009, 11:06 AM
chefred112
Valdez Racing Team

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
...naw...we all have a genuine concern when something affects our trucks...some of us is more knowlegeable (like kevin-hemi1569) in this area and we all try to learn from it ... I hope you get this figured out Lacy..good luck to you..

05 Ram 1500 QC 5.7 (stroked 6.4 as of 7/14)
Inertia Motorsports Stroker Assy/Whitelightening Tuned
best 1/4 (5.7 nitrous): 12.10 @ 113
best 1/4 (5.7 na): 12.96 @ 104 (cold day)
best 1/4 (6.4 na): 12.59 @ 106 (hot day)
over 250k miles on odo
#59 Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 AM
piscesgirly777

(Thread Starter)
u guys are great.... I am tryin really hard to get it figured out and save money at the same time so i can take it in.....

Lacy

1999 Dodge Durango
#60 Old 07-05-2009, 01:28 PM
trenton

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm serious just hotwire it up to run without all the security stuff. It will work untill you can get it fixed or you may even like it running without fixing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.