Death Wobble - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
bstefanic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Death Wobble

I know there's about 50 threads on here about death wobble but thought I'd just give some information about what I just learned from a dealer. I went into the service department to tell them the issue I was having with my steering, I didn't even bother to mention the phrase "death wobble" since I assumed they would have no idea what I was talking about. To my surprise though, they called me back and said I was experiencing whats called "death wobble" and there is a technical service bulletin out for 3/4 Dodge's about the problem...basically a recall. They replaced the tie rod ends, steering damper, and a few other things for free. So Dodge is aware there is a problem and has put out a bulletin to get it fixed...and its all free.

06' Power Wagon

Hella's behind the grill, locker bypass, BDS Long Arm Kit, Carli Front Diff Cover, Rockcrusher Rear, 37" KM2's, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, EBC brake pads, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's Rear DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs with Dynalocs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-19-2009, 08:31 PM
BobtheBuilder

free is always good

Bob
2005 QC Black w/scratches and a few more dents now
1500 4x4
3.92's
265/70-17 destination a/t
But I keep it clean
#3 Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 AM
TimboPW

The "Steering Upgrade" thread on this forum discusses it, if you have a chance to read it. The few people that have done it haven't all been pleased with it. How do you like it? Would you recommend it? Was your death wobble extremely bad?

Tim

Mods: 6" Pure Performance Long Arm X Factor Suspension Lift, King 2.5 Shocks w/ reservoirs, TopGunz Reservoir Mounts, Locker Bypass, Randy Ellis Light Bar, Thuren: Track Bar, Shock Towers, Extreme Duty Steering and Rear Leafs, DT Profab Stabilizer Box, TopGunz/Fox Dual Steering Stabilizer, PSC Steering Gear w/ Hydraulic Assist, PSC HD Steering Shaft, Performance Brake slotted/dimpled rotors, Carli upper/lower Ball Joints, AMP Research Power Steps, 37" Cooper Discoverer STT M/T, 17x8 Moto Metal 957 wheels, Gibson Stainless Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, (2) 7" and (4) 9" Procomp Driving Lights, Viair 400 Compressor, Defender Roof Rack with Light Cage, Warn Wireless Winch Remote, 2 sets HD snow chains, Midland CB, Magellan GPS, Vector 800 Power Inverter, Clifford Alarm w/ Remote Start, Spyder LED Tail Lights

UP NEXT: Carli Long Travel Airbags

2011 Polaris RZR- 2" Racer Tech lift, Racer Tech Custom Springs, 26" ITP Baja Cross tires, 1.5" rear wheel spacers, (2) 7" Procomp driving lights, Polaris front/rear Deluxe Bumpers, Polaris Rocksliders, Polaris Sport Roof, Polaris 3500 lbs winch w/ synthetic cable, Polaris Lock n Ride Accessory Rack, Lock n Ride Fuel Can Mount, Lock n Ride Rear Cargo Box, Custom Headache Net, Custom Storage pouches

2010 Lincoln MKX
2010 Corvette Coupe w/ Magna Charger LS7 Supercharger (556HP)
#4 Old 02-20-2009, 07:22 AM
warlock06
warlock06

loved my upgrade, couldnt get over 45mph, steering is way more responsive, takes a little getting used to....DO IT
#5 Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM
jmbones
2013 Laramie Power Wagon

Keep in mind I think the TSB states the vehicle must have the stock tires. So if you have anything other then the 33" BFG tires on, the TSB states not to do it. I'm sure it is up to the dealer though, so you may be able to con them into it.

TSB #22-005-06

2008 Avenger R/T (Chrysler 100,000 mile club)

2013 Laramie Power Wagon
Nav - Rear ParkSense - Remote Start
Factory Spray In Bedliner - Rear Defrost
PM me for Winch Mob Decals

#6 Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
MSCH2112
Bushwacker!

i did what the tsb said to do. it didn't fix the problem, and dealer would do no more. after they thourougly inspected it, i went to the tire shop and he and i pulled the tires off. chucks of tread were missing....complete inspection by the dealer hugh. new bfg's on and no more death wobble! In my opinion, once the stock bfg's hit 40k, replace them no matter what.

Mike

2012 Power Wagon LARAMIE Pkg. w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

High-Lift Jack w/ lots of tow ropes and winch tools
2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition!
SOLD 2005 Power Wagon Quad w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill.
#7 Old 02-20-2009, 12:14 PM
coder

I did the upgrade and it fixed the minor death wobble I had, very happy with it.

2007 Quad Cab Power Wagon
Suspension: Carli 3" Hemi Coils | Carli Control Arms | Carli King 2.5 Pin-Tops | Carli Stainless Steel Damper | Synergy 1" Rear Shackle
Performance: Magnaflow Muffler | Magnaflow Y-Pipe
Wheels/Tires: Toyo ATII's 35x12.5x17
Steering/Drivetrain/Axles: Carli Front Diff Guard | Dynatrac Ball Joints | Redhead Steering Gear
Miscellaneous: EBC Front Slotted Dimpled Rotors | Line-X Bedliner | Locker Bypass Switch | Mopar Rock Rails | DieHard Platinum Battery G65 | Performance Friction Brake Pads | Weathertech Digital Fit Mats | Winch Thermal Protection Bypass
#8 Old 02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
GLADIATOR

The dealer replaced all four ball joints for my DW. Since I ditched the BFG AT's, I haven't had a wobble. I think the tires are more important than anything.
#9 Old 02-20-2009, 10:10 PM
fbenross

After reading so much about "Death Wobble" on this forum, it seems to be an art instead of a science. But where Chrysler/Dodge is concerned with all the engineers they have, I'm sure they know exactly what's going on. The sad part is, all big corporations wait until they are sued, and It becomes more cost effective to fix the problem once and for ALL.

2006 POWER WAGON 6 SPD

1970 SCOUT 800 4 SPD
#10 Old 02-21-2009, 06:12 PM
TimboPW

I don't know how many people have seen this but it shows death wobble via video from under the truck. It make you wonder how the truck even stays on the road. Just click on death wobble when you open the page up.
http://thurenfabrication.com/misc.html

Tim

Mods: 6" Pure Performance Long Arm X Factor Suspension Lift, King 2.5 Shocks w/ reservoirs, TopGunz Reservoir Mounts, Locker Bypass, Randy Ellis Light Bar, Thuren: Track Bar, Shock Towers, Extreme Duty Steering and Rear Leafs, DT Profab Stabilizer Box, TopGunz/Fox Dual Steering Stabilizer, PSC Steering Gear w/ Hydraulic Assist, PSC HD Steering Shaft, Performance Brake slotted/dimpled rotors, Carli upper/lower Ball Joints, AMP Research Power Steps, 37" Cooper Discoverer STT M/T, 17x8 Moto Metal 957 wheels, Gibson Stainless Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, (2) 7" and (4) 9" Procomp Driving Lights, Viair 400 Compressor, Defender Roof Rack with Light Cage, Warn Wireless Winch Remote, 2 sets HD snow chains, Midland CB, Magellan GPS, Vector 800 Power Inverter, Clifford Alarm w/ Remote Start, Spyder LED Tail Lights

2011 Polaris RZR- 2" Racer Tech lift, Racer Tech Custom Springs, 26" ITP Baja Cross tires, 1.5" rear wheel spacers, (2) 7" Procomp driving lights, Polaris front/rear Deluxe Bumpers, Polaris Rocksliders, Polaris Sport Roof, Polaris 3500 lbs winch w/ synthetic cable, Polaris Lock n Ride Accessory Rack, Lock n Ride Fuel Can Mount, Lock n Ride Rear Cargo Box, Custom Headache Net, Custom Storage pouches

2010 Lincoln MKX
#11 Old 02-21-2009, 06:33 PM
TwinStick

IMO, it is a combination of things that cause it. I started to experience it ever so slightly the other day. Checked the tire pressure, it had dropped to 48-50psi between the 4 Cooper STTs, put them back to 60 psi and it went away. The tires, especially the stock tires are the biggest culprit. They buy in bulk on the cheap, and as its been said and proven before, it's cheaper for the company to pay out lawsuits when people die, than it is to do a recall or admit to a defective design or part. I think the tires are crap and prematurely wear out the ball joints and tierod ends. The owner gets fustrated,puts new tires on it, takes it back to the dealer, they say corperate wont pay for repairs cause they are not the right tires. It is ALWAYS about the money.

08' PowerWagon w/6-speed manual G-56. 05' 30' toyhauler camper.(10,500lbs)
Hellwig LoadPro 35 bolt on 4 leaf helper springs.
No honey, I'm NOT done buying shit for the truck yet !!!
PurpleCrainium Diff Guards
K&N air filter --- WeatherGuard 20" black bed toolbox.
winch TPC bypass
Dual battery set up w/2 Sears DieHard Platinums-Gp 65 under hood-Gp 31 Marine deep cycle in bed toolbox w/plug-n-play set up. Custom 2000/4000w inverter set up w/quick connect. Triple bike mounts above the bed- custom made by me.
Crapload of recovery gear-always subject to adding more.
Fab Four rear bumper. Soon to be- a BuckStop Baja front bumper.--Temporarily on hold, see reason below.
Installed: Borgeson #000951 steering shaft. PSC steering brace(notched for PW by Rusty-thanks bud). Carli HD CroMo adjustable track bar. Carli CroMo control arms. Carli HD upper & lower balljoints x 2 sets (replaced under warrenty) & triple sealed u-joints in front axle shafts & rear driveshaft. Moog HD tierod ends x 4. Running total is now $4800. Yup, now i'm broke !!!

What, you ask, is the difference between a Dodge Ram and a PowerWagon ?? PW frame part # 55398868AC---Reg 2500 #55398813AC
About 2" taller, 12,000lb winch w/mounting brace between framerails,electronic disconnecting swaybar(for awsome articulation),electronic locking axles front & rear(for true 4-wheel drive),tow pkg, fully skidplated,forged one piece Alcoa rims w/internal beadlock lips,larger diameter(one ton) axleshaft in rear,160 amp alt,HD battery,4.56 gears,low range electronic recalibration of gas pedal sensitivity,more but thinner leafs in rear spring pack(for better articulation), 33" BFG All-Terrain tires. 78.016:1 crawl ratio. All for $6100.00 more! Oh yeah, almost forgot-Bilstein shocks. Gear ratios: 1st 6.29:1 2nd 3.48:1 3rd 2.10:1 4th 1.38:1 5th 1.0:1 6th .79:1.. Rev 5.74:1.
#12 Old 02-21-2009, 06:44 PM
TimboPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
IMO, it is a combination of things that cause it. I started to experience it ever so slightly the other day. Checked the tire pressure, it had dropped to 48-50psi between the 4 Cooper STTs, put them back to 60 psi and it went away. The tires, especially the stock tires are the biggest culprit. They buy in bulk on the cheap, and as its been said and proven before, it's cheaper for the company to pay out lawsuits when people die, than it is to do a recall or admit to a defective design or part. I think the tires are crap and prematurely wear out the ball joints and tierod ends. The owner gets fustrated,puts new tires on it, takes it back to the dealer, they say corperate wont pay for repairs cause they are not the right tires. It is ALWAYS about the money.
I have to agree with you. I purchased my truck in June of last year before I ever joined this forum and heard of "death wobble". I got death wobble immediately, but only on extreme bumps ant high speeds. Once I installed bigger tires that problem went away. I've concidered the steering upgrade, but I figure if there's no problem, why worry about it. Your right about Dodge and a payout as opposed to recall. It's has to be even worse now with the financial situation there all in.

Tim

2010 Lincoln MKX
#13 Old 02-21-2009, 08:09 PM
silverhemidan
Silverhemidan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
The dealer replaced all four ball joints for my DW. Since I ditched the BFG AT's, I haven't had a wobble. I think the tires are more important than anything.

X2...got ride of the BFG AT's,problem solved..

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

#14 Old 02-21-2009, 09:33 PM
bstefanic

(Thread Starter)
Well, if nothing else you can't beat some free parts

06' Power Wagon

Hella's behind the grill, locker bypass, BDS Long Arm Kit, Carli Front Diff Cover, Rockcrusher Rear, 37" KM2's, DT Pro Fab steering box brace, EBC brake pads, Dynatrac Ball Joints, SY Eliminated Transfer Case, Custom Tom Wood's Rear DS, Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs with Dynalocs.
#15 Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 PM
MSCH2112
Bushwacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimboPW View Post
I don't know how many people have seen this but it shows death wobble via video from under the truck. It make you wonder how the truck even stays on the road. Just click on death wobble when you open the page up.
http://thurenfabrication.com/misc.html
wow....great death wobble videos!

mike

2012 Power Wagon LARAMIE Pkg. w/ 12k Warn winch, Nav, Sunroof, Leer Topper, AMP boards, Spray on-bedliner-rockers-flares

Support Search and Rescue-GET LOST

High-Lift Jack w/ lots of tow ropes and winch tools
2009 Victory Jackpot Cory Ness Edition!
SOLD 2005 Power Wagon Quad w/ 12k Warn winch, loaded incl. leather, rockrails, nav, sunroof, 9.5 ti Warn winch in the rear, Gibson Headers and catback, Pace-Edwards full metal elec. bed cover and elec. tailgate lock, PIAA driving lights behind grill.
#16 Old 02-25-2009, 01:10 AM
neotech

I've gotten used to mine. I didn't have the problem before but I also never put more than 5k on the 33's before i ditched them for 35" a/t bfg's.

06 Powerwagon - MIA
#17 Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 AM
wesco

Death Wobble

I seen that video and I really would not want to be going 70 MPH and have that give way it would really make for a BAD DAY 2008 power wagon inferno red QC 4x4 flowmaster custom dual exhaust extang hard tonneau cover BFG 315 AT go rhino ss hitch step AEM brute force air intake filter mag huskyliner floor mats and putco black led cab lights

Last edited by wesco; 02-25-2009 at 01:53 AM. Reason: typo
#18 Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM
HEMIII07

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhemidan View Post
X2...got ride of the BFG AT's,problem solved..

x 3! haha ditched my 35" bfg ats for nittos and its like butter

2003 Dodge Ram 2500
5.7 HEMI
3" ProComp/ MX6 shocks
325/70/17 Nitto ATs, 17x9 KMC HOSS
Billy Boat exhaust?, ebay intake with K&N filter
Kenwood head unit/ ipod connection
2 10" Alpines, 1800 watt Metrik amp
#19 Old 02-25-2009, 09:28 PM
silverhemidan
Silverhemidan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIII07 View Post
x 3! haha ditched my 35" bfg ats for nittos and its like butter

I'm really like these Nitto's...

Silver Truck Club Member#127

2004 2500 Hemi - Off-Road Pkg.w/4.56's
6" Lift PP Long Arms/Coils/Bilstein 5160's/ Dynatrac free spin hubs/Dynaloc hubs/spicer axle ujoints,
Carli Ball Joints/Carli deaver 4" leaf springs/Thuren Shackles/Carli Long Travel Air Bags
37x12.5x17 Cooper STT's/XD Enduros
n-fab step bars with Line-X
MagnaFlow (#14329)/Superchips
20% tinted windows Don Thuren steering stabilizer True Flow CAI
Tonneau cover/Husky liners/4-channel Amp/
Rockford sub/ Panasonic HU/kenwood speakers Hella 500's behind grill/Wheel Liners/Bushwacker Pocket style flares/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Steering Box Stabilizer/steering upgrade,Carli Trackbar/ retrofit projectors,infiniti FX35 projectors,shaved,black matte paint,6k,from Unique Coatings.

#20 Old 03-09-2009, 12:29 AM
Powerubi Wacon

I saw this BD Power product on a commercial. Looks like a good solution for standard 2500/3500 models. I wonder if they could whip one up to fit a Power Wagon?

http://www.dieselperformance.com/ind...uct/index/151P

2005 Dodge Ram Power Wagon- 5-spd, Mopar CD/Cassette radio, Superchips flashpaq, Magnaflow muffler, Airaid M.I.T., Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT315/70R17, locker bypass harness
2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon- 5-spd, Gale Banks Stinger exhaust, Rancho 2-1/2" springs, Rancho RS9000X shocks, Rancho RS5000 steering stabilizer shock, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R LT285/75R16
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited- 4-spd, J.E.T. Stage 2 Module, Rancho 2" springs, Rancho RS9000 shocks, Rancho RS 5000 steering stabilizer
1968 Ford Mustang GT fastback- 3-spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.