AC Clutch bearing Removal - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

DarkNyte

AC Clutch bearing Removal - Posted: 07-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Post #1

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 and I accidentally overcharged r134a system in the peak of summer out here. Causing the AC Clutch to overheat and evetaly cause the bearing to fail.

I found that Kragen carries this part or can get it within a day. So I figured out how to remove the old bearing from the pulley. Reinstalled the new part and reinstalled the pulley and the clutch. I then beagan to test the system after I got the parts back on the compressor. I notice a burning smell and continued to drive the car around the block. I noticed some ligh smoke coming from under the hood but the AC was blowing cold up to when I pulled into my garage. I did not properly check the Air gap clearance and the Pully was not fully seated. The Clutch over heated and eventaully wore out the bearings again. When I tried to remove the bearing/pulley assembly the 2nd time I notice the bearing stayed behind, On the compressor shaft and fully surraounded by the magnetic core. This is becuse I did not wedge the bearing back down from the rear of the pulley before I reinstalled it. There's not much room between the coil and the bearing outer race. I've tried several times to put the pulley back on hoping it would mirculously catch the bearing but no such luck.

Does anyone have any ideas/trick to remove the stuck bearing?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Closed Thread