DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ball Joint grease

17K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  KC_Metal 
#1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I am "kind of" new to this forum (I always read it, never post) and have a question about a rattle my 2006 Durango has. The front part of the Durango sounds very bad and sometimes feels like it's going to fall apart.

I took it to the dealer to get it checked but they wanted me to leave it overnight for a check and I couldn't do that so went to... Pep Boys... bad idea. They told me I need to replace the link bar, lower ball joints and shocks. They also quoted me $1300 for the whole thing.

First of all, I checked rockauto.com for exactly the same parts that Pep Boys quoted me about $900 and got them all for $200 minus the shocks because I don't think they need replacement (The shocks were only like $90 total).

But then I decided to read the forum and found out about the sway bar bushings wearing down so I went today to Autozone and bought the Moog bushing and while I was asking a friend of mine to lend me his towers to be able to lift the truck he mentioned to me that some ball joints can be greased and this reminded me that sometimes when I took the D in for oil and filter change they would offer me to grease the front axel, I really don't know what they greased but since my warranty ended last year I haven't done that maintenance.

I was wondering, can the ball joints in the 06 D be greased? It doesn't seem like it. I would like to know this because if it's true I'll try taking it to the dealer and having it greased to see if that fixes it. If not Ill try replacing the sway bar bushings, if that doesnt work then ill replace the link bar and lower ball joint.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Pedro

See less See more
#4 ·
You can grease the ball joints you just need to use a grease needle to do it because they are sealed and dont have fittings. You can buy a needle at any auto store, they cost about 2 dollars. All you do is press the needle into the rubber boot and grease them that way, don't overfill them or you'll break the seal. Just grease them until the boot has a slight bulge in and feels firm and when you remove the needle it leaves a very tiny hole that won't do any harm. If you have good eyes and alot of light I usually pump the grease gun 6-8 times and then remove the needle, if grease starts coming back out the hole you have enough grease, if not try and stick the needle back in the same hole and grease a little more until you see grease force it's way out of the hole when you remove the needle.

#7 ·
You can do it on the ground, its alot easier off the ground though. While you're under there do you tie rods and sway bar links too. For the upper ball joint keep it on the ground and turn your wheels whichever way give you better access to the ball joint.

#8 ·
Thanks ISmellAHemi04!

I read in a forum post somewhere else that I shouldn't grease them with the needle because then grease would start leaking out through the hole the needle makes.

Have you experienced this? Do you "close" the hole with something?

#11 ·
It's not a big deal. I've done this on many vehicles. You don't lose enough to worry.

#9 ·
Update... did the grease, got kind of messy since I don't know how to use a grease gun BUT I am happy to report that I have noticed a HUGE difference in rattle. It's not completely gone but I would say it's like 90% gone so this buys me time to buy new parts WHICH ARE GREASEABLE.

Thanks for the help!

#10 ·
Excellent news! Enjoy the ride.

I will consider this too once the weather warms up.

#12 ·
If the shocks are original with over 50K miles on them - they are shot.

When you replace them with either Bilstien or Rancho - you won't believe the improvement.

Really.

#13 ·
I can't wait to get them as I'm closing in on 50k. Still rides awesome though as I take great care of the D so don't know if I'll need them at 5ok or not.

#15 ·
Sounds like a plan. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.