DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manual locking Hubs

16K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  carlile.ryan 
#1 ·
Hi guys. I have a 1996 Ram 1500 with a 318, 4x4 with a dana 44 front end. I was thinking about converting the front hubs to manual locking hubs. Does this even exist for these trucks. If so where can I find them and what am i going to pay. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
They exist. You have to replace everything from the steering knuckles out and it will add about 3/4-1" to your front track width. You will spend from $1400-2000 to do it right. You can start with Dynatrac, but DLUX has a kit, also and there are others as well. Do a searc for a "Free Spin Kit".

#3 ·
WOW! its probably not worth it at all. But thanks a lot.

I just got the idea after i broke an axle at the yoke on both ends. On the drivers side. It took me forever to find one and cost me if i remember right $250.

Thanks a lot, man.

#4 ·
Wow that seams steep I will just leave the stockers in mine also.

#5 ·
The only way to do it is to buy a kit from a company like EMS Off road or Dynatrac. The older dana 44 knuckles will not work on these axles.

I believe the EMS kit is just under a grand, not sure about the Dynatrac kit. Its pretty pricey, but if you plan on keeping the truck and the axle for a while (not upgrading to a 60) then it is actually quite worth it.

#6 ·
Good call on the EMS kit, it is on sale right now for $796 for a 1500 D44 (still $1400 for my truck though :( ), that is a great buy. For $796 I think it is worth the money.

#7 ·
Not me I don't drive it enough I supposed if the truck was driven allot the fuel savings would make it worth it. Anyone done this know what kind of millage gain is possible.

#8 · (Edited)
I hope I can be corrected on this, but having read several threads on other sites regarding people that have changed out to manual hubs, I haven't read of anyone recording a mileage gain from this mod.
In all fairness, most people who install these kits have already destroyed thier mileage with large tires, lift kits and other mods which add weight and remove what little aerodynamics these trucks had. So I'd say on a very stock or original truck there might be a slight mileage gain.
There is a slight gain in strength over a plastic collared unit bearing, and its a good mod to keep things from turning if you have a front locker, which is a mileage/part killer in itself. For another 225.00 you can buy the inner axle which will eliminate the CAD unit...but only you can do the math on how soon you can recoup the cost.

#9 ·
I couldnt see spending the $796 + shipping for a dana 44. A dana 60, yes. & speaking of the one piece inner axle, it makes me nervous thinking of how fast the front driveshaft would be turning at 75 MPH. The little booger would be doing some serious spinning.

#10 ·
No faster than the rear shaft is always spinning. The only real issue I would see with a constant spinning shaft is if the truck is lifted to the point that vibrations may be a concern.

As far as price goes, hell, it sounds expensive, but how much coin have you guys thrown at just replacing wheel bearings? It doesn't take too many wheel bearing replacements to add up to the cost of the kit alone, plus when you add in all the extra bonus' of having lockouts it seams like a decent deal to me.... again though, as long as an axle upgrade is not ever in the future plans (and you plan on keeping the truck for a while).

Desrtdog, I have heard a few reports of the actual mileage gains once this kit is installed, and one I can remember was from a very reliable, trustworthy source (Rambill, not sure if he was ever a member on here or not, but he used to be over at PS all the time before he sold his truck). Anywho, I think he reported in at around 1 MPG increase (which was with a 7" lift and set of 37's and Dana 60's). Not too bad, but not much to brag about either. I think he was more surprised at the feel of how much less rolling resistance he noticed/experienced.

#11 ·
Well I might have to look into it then. I plan on keeping the truck for a while. Although it wont be on the road in a few years it will just be my toy. I don't want to get to radical with 4x4 mods and need a 60, so maybe this is in the future.

Olyelr, I see that you have under your picture "6" lift (1 ton springs in front, add-a-leaf in the rear, 3" body lift). I was thinking about putting 3/4 ton coil overs and springs in the front and back of my 1500 but didn't know what it would do to the height or the ride.

#14 ·
Olyelr, I see that you have under your picture "6" lift (1 ton springs in front, add-a-leaf in the rear, 3" body lift). I was thinking about putting 3/4 ton coil overs and springs in the front and back of my 1500 but didn't know what it would do to the height or the ride.

I gained just over 3" with my coils, which are diesel units. The gas coils typically only net around 2". The rear springs will not swap due to being a half inch wider... just get some add-a-leafs to match up the added height.

The ride gets much stiffer, especially with the diesel springs. But its not ridiculous either... I have had mine installed for about 8-9 years now and haven't changed them yet. I just rides like a truck :)

Alrighty, done thread jacking now.

#12 ·
One of the diesel magazines did the Dynatrac swap on a F250 tow pig, They gained 2-3MPG from the free wheeling hubs.

The best part is having good ol wheel bearings instead of $200 hub units.

It's a very tempted mod for someone who doesn't want to run 38" tires (get a D60 already!)

#13 · (Edited)
Olyeir, thanks I remember reading Rambils article in PS, and the only thing I remember sticking in my mind is the decreased rolling resistance he felt and less drag when turning tightly.

I hope I don't talk anyone out of buying a set of lockouts, and would recommend them if you want a front locker or offroad a lot, drive in severe weather often, and do a lot of highway driving. But just so you know...

If I gain 1 mpg, thats (on my truck) 26 more miles on a tank (in theory) going from 11 to 12 mpg. If the cost of a gallon of gas is 2.60, how many miles would I have to drive to pay for this mod? If that cost per mile difference from 11 mpg to 12 mpg were say...2 cents, you would have to drive 999.00 divided by .02... or 49,950 miles to pay for this mod. At the sale price of 769.00 it's only 38,450 miles. That will give you an idea based on your yearly mileage how many years you'd need to drive your truck to recoup your cost. Last year I drove my truck about 2500 miles...
You can get hub bearings off ebay for about 170.00 a pair. Yes they're chinese. I got 3 years out of my set. 999 divided by 170 equals 5.8 which in theory is about 6 sets of chinese bearings over an 18 year period. Obvously if you're going through a set a year that changes the situation. LOL, in 18 years I'd be 72.

EDIT: If you could get 2-3 mpg out of a modded truck that's impressive. I have to believe that would be on a less modded truck equipped for towing without a big lift and tires.

#16 ·
I was thinking about the EMS kit also, figuring since I have almost 200k on the axles I could do it at the same time I regear and trutrack for towing

#18 ·
That is awesome! I shouldn't have any problems running 4.10's would I? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.