DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bent Rear Axle

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chigato 
#1 ·
I just found out that I have a slightly bent rear right axle. How long can I drive my B2500 before it becomes dangerous?

I don't have much money for repairs, so I am hoping that I can stretch it out a bit.

Thanks.

#2 ·
How did it get bent? Who told you it was bent. Thats a very hard t hing to do. If its the rear axle, it make track funny.

#3 ·
Rear Axle

I had a new set of tires put on today. When the tech turned the right rear tire, there was a bit of a wobble. He pulled the tire off and checked the balance again, and that was fine. He also turned the hub that the wheel fits on and there was a wobble on that.

He told me that he thought that the axle may be slightly bent.

Any advise or suggestions?

Thanks.

#5 ·
If it is bent outside the bearing area or at the hub, you can stretch it out for a while, but it will cause some funky tire wear. We had one bent on an old 74 powerwagon and drove it that way for years, before replacing the axle. It may also cause some bearing wear, but usually only if it is bent in that area of the bearing or inside the axle shaft housing.

#6 ·
I always thought that bending an axle was nearly impossible. At least not without doing some sort of massive damage to your truck. ie - Car accident, serious 4wd action, stuff like that

I would have the bearings checked out first...

#7 ·
You can always go the junkyard and buy a used axle and have it installed. Since this isn't a common problem, using a used part won't bite you.

I wouldn't drive too long on a bent axle. Just my opinion.

#9 ·
I have a 96 b2500 with the exact same problem. right rear vibration starting at 40 mph , as if you were under a bridge with a run-away freight train overhead, and eventually smoothing out at 70-75 mph. After being stone-walled by the !@#$%^&*() dealer 6 times from whom I bought it, I finally said !@# %^, and went through the most simple obvious items first,i.e. tread,balancing, and finally, jacking up the back end, putting it in gear and watch that wheel spin like a paint shaker. That infamous day was March of 2003. I am still driving it. I'm debating whether to go to a boneyard and swap it out, rebuild it, or go to a merciless, motherless, satan's-pride-and-joy,!@#%%&*()+ dealer and "RAM" it right back up his merciless, motherless, coldblooded,satan's-pride-and-joy,where the sun don't shine,looks-just-like-a-salesman's lips, !@#. By the way,it was a ford dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.