DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Check ball location.

22K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  key99 
#1 ·
This is the trans line that goes into the botton of the radiator. I stuck a screwdriver in the brass fitting and there seams to be a one way valve with a spring behind it. Is that the check ball I hear everyone talking about? And if so what is it's perpose?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
STANDARD PROCEDURE - TORQUE
CONVERTER DRAINBACK VALVE
The converter drainback check valve is located in
the cooler outlet (pressure) line near the radiator
tank. The valve prevents fluid drainback when the
vehicle is parked for lengthy periods. The valve check
ball is spring loaded and has an opening pressure of
approximately 2 psi.
The valve is serviced as an assembly; it is not
repairable. Do not clean the valve if restricted, or
contaminated by sludge, or debris. If the valve fails,
or if a transmission malfunction occurs that generates
significant amounts of sludge and/or clutch particles
and metal shavings, the valve must be
replaced.
The valve must be removed whenever the cooler
and lines are reverse flushed. The valve can be flow
tested when necessary. The procedure is exactly the
same as for flow testing a cooler.
If the valve is restricted, installed backwards, or in
the wrong line, it will cause an overheating condition
and possible transmission failure.
CAUTION: The drainback valve is a one-way flow
device. It must be properly oriented in terms of flow
direction for the cooler to function properly. The
valve must be installed in the pressure line. Otherwise
flow will be blocked and would cause an overheating
condition and eventual transmission failure.

#3 · (Edited)
That told me absolutely nothing! Every one on this site is saying to remove it. Are they wrong?So I guess since I have nothing wrong with the valve. Sticking or such that I;m ok. The reason I ask is because I was having a problem with the OD shutting off at speeds over 65. But now that stopped happening?I have had people tell me'

#5 ·
Not sure how that did not tell you anything. you asked what it's purpose was and i explained what it does. As for removing it, you can remove it. But from what i gather you will not hold the pressure in your torque converter when the truck sits for a while.

#4 ·
Most people remove them becuase they can stick causing the tranny to overheat. If your tranny is overheating it will drop out of OD. Is your Torque converter locking up in overdrive?

#6 ·
The reason behind removal is the seat the ball seals on is plastic and can break into pieces and restrict fluid flow which lubricates the high load areas in the transmission.
If bypassed, start your truck in neutral to start fluid flow thru the transmission if it has sit for a day or more. (Fluid doesn't flow in park unless you have a shift kit installed.)

#7 ·
[QUOTED FROM POST #2]. The converter drainback check valve is located in the cooler outlet (pressure) line near the radiator
tank. [unquote]. .... This is INCORRECT. It should read TRANS OUTLET or COOLER INLET.

Ram Lovr. If you dont mind, STARTING, AND, "IDLING IN NUETRAL" while conv is refilling, getting rid of check valve eliminates plugging/failing/sticking issues that can RESTRICT FLOW. Your choice.

by Lee Peterson. If your tranny is overheating it will drop out of OD. Is your Torque converter locking up in overdrive? [UNQUOTE].

X2. Does it remain locked up? Is it slipping?

#8 ·
What my trans has been doing is dropping out of OD But only when the truck has been driven at say 65-70mph for some 30-40 miles.It's not slipping no trans light just drops out of OD. Sometimes not always.

#9 ·
What my trans has been doing is dropping out of OD But only when the truck has been driven at say 65-70mph for some 30-40 miles.
. Sounds like a typical TCC issue thats causing trans overheating. When its supposed to, it should; LOCK, REMAIN LOCKED, AND NOT SLIP. Count your shifts, and watch your tach. In 99, only trucks equipped with HD TRANS OIL COOLING i.e. snow plow, came with a trans temp light.

#10 ·
FYI, I have NEVER seen a a cooler line check ball stick shut. You need to remove the check ball to BACK FLUSH the transmission cooler in the radiator. You can reinstall it after the back flush procedure and you would probably be fine. You can leave it out and you will be fine.

#11 ·
Mine is gone, and even though my truck sits for weeks at a time I haven't had any hesitation at start up and don't see any difference with it gone. I don't idle in neutral before I pull out. I took it out because I was under the impression that the ball itself was known to melt or disintegrate putting debris into the cooling lines and overheating the trans. I cut the hose just behind the valve, shoved the flare up into the hose an inch or so and put a hose clamp on it.

#12 ·
OK Trans stopped dropping out of O/D. Now what?

#13 ·
Good news. But trans may still be getting too warm, try a temp gun on lines and pan. OD drops out about 270ish*F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.