DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HID problem?

6K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  blackram05 
#1 ·
okay so here's the thing.. i have a bi-xenon hid kit from twiggy that came off my buddys 05 truck 2 days ago, which were working perfectly fine. we hooked everything up to my truch (which is an 02) and when we turned it on the lights started flashing like they were my hazard lights or something they turned on and off a couple times then i just turned them off.

i plugged my halogen bulbs back in to make sure they still worked and they came on just fine no problems at all. :huh:

the other weird thing is we took the kit and hooked it up to another friend's 03 dodge to see if it would work and they did! they weren't flashing or anything just came on and stayed on.. so we just hooked the kit back up to my truck and they started flashing like before

idk what the hell is wrong cuz i mean my stock lights work fine, plugged the kit into my friend's truck everything worked fine, but when i hook it up to my truck the lights flash on and off??? i'm just at a complete loss :ugh

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

#2 ·
have the same problem man i just ordered a computer canceller kit. the problem is that the surge of power when you turn on your hids is to big so the computer throughs a flag saying hey there is to much power going to the bulb shut it down. so what the cancellers do is store energy first then starts the hids. but about the other trucks that it works on theres but not yours i just says all trucks are different. but ill get back on here like mid week to let you know how they work. and if you dont wanna wait to hear back the web site to get them is hidcountry.com computer warning cancellers.

#11 · (Edited)
you mean ballasts?

#3 · (Edited)
thats what i was thinking was going on.. there was too much power and it was basically like tripping the breaker so to speak. so you're sure that's what the problem is and that's all i need to fix it? how much do those cancellers cost?

#4 ·
i just looked on hidcountry and couldn't find the cancellers :huh:

#5 ·
good question.

i just ordered a pair of twiggy's myself. blackram, what year is your truck? i have an 08 and am wondering if i'll need the can bus cancellers too?

#7 ·
check ebay, i wish i knew how to insert links, but i'm not that savvy with the internet. type in HID capacitor and you should see plenty of options. there as cheap as 3.99(shipping from china) and as much as 45. i think i'm going with the 17.99 option out of florida. good luck.

#8 ·
i just found out that the kit i have comes with cancellers... so now wtf??

#9 ·
resistor?

show me a pic of your kit, if you have one.

#10 ·
give me like 10 min i'll go take one and get it on here

#12 ·
here's the kit..

#13 ·
check all connections for exposed wire. splice if needed.
assemble first, then install.
make sure your engine is RUNNING when you turn them on.
did you use the same ground locations that your buddy did?

that doesn't work let me know, i'll ask my HID guy.

#14 ·
if you can lay everything out they way it would be installed on your truck. connect all conections. then take a pic.

fog lights too?

#15 ·
yeah we assembled everything along the outside the truck, just hooked it up to a ground and tried it like that first. did the same thing on my buddy's truck that we tried the kit on and it worked fine on his truck, but they flashed when hooked up to my truck.

we didn't have the truck running though when we tried it on either truck..

#16 ·
so hook it up outside the truck like i was testing it and take a pic of how it is set up?

and no i dont have a fog kit yet, just the heads right now.

#17 ·
yes, and your truck should be running while your HID's are on.

#18 ·
shoot, this is easy. The 2 orange things that are hooked back to back are the cancelers. check your connections.

#19 ·
I had the same problem. I ended up tying them into a power wire.

#20 ·
did you get it to work yet? there do to come in friday so saturday ill install them. but i did see your kit had the cheap verison of the cancellers.

#21 ·
i think you guys mean resistors. not cancelers. right? i have never heard of cancelers. just ballasts and resistors.

#22 ·
ya mine are wired to my optima. never had any problems.

#23 ·
okay, so here's the new problem.. I hooked everything up again, started the truck, and they worked. without the truck on, the lights flicker on and off. also my lamp out signal keeps going wack, like its turning on and off on and off randomly. sometimes just once or twice sometimes every 5 seconds...

could this possibly be a ballast problem? my 02 truck's onboard computer is different from the 03 and 05 computers which could possibly be the problem as well??? idk. my truck might need a different type of ballast compaired to the ballasts the 03 and 05 trucks would need.

#24 ·
yup. don't turn them on unless your truck is on. when is the last time you replaced your battery? what other electronic aftermarket stuff do you have done to your truck?

#25 ·
but why would that matter, having the truck on or off? when it was hooked up to the 05 truck and my other buddy's 03 truck we didn't have the truck on and they worked fine.

i have a viper 5901 alarm installed and i was thinking that might have something to do with it as well.

when i try to turn on the highs, they dont work either. it's like i can see light coming from the bulbs, but it looks like something is covering the bulb??

#26 ·
My HID guy told me that flashing your HID's a lot and having them on when your truck is not on, is bad for them. and what rating are your HID's 5000K? 8000K?

#27 ·
the bulbs are 10000k

#28 ·
wow thats bright. my headlights are 5000k and my fogs are 8000k, a guy drives a mini cooper in my apt complex and he gives me the finger every time i pass him at night, hahaha.

just look up a company on the internet that makes a kit like yours and call them. dont't know if i can be any help. sorry man.

could always put that kit on ebay and get a new one...

#29 ·
does anyone on here have a 02 with an HID kit??? cuz that would really help. i could just kinda compare my kit to theirs and see what is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.