DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

headlights won't work, all others do

64K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Dodge2500 
#1 ·
I have a 99 dodge 2500, the headlights at low beam will not work, but the high beams will if I hold the switch just right. I have replaced both switches, but it doesn't help. (The headlight switch was listed as a 2000 switch).
Someone told me about a "ground control module" that may need to be replaced??? It has been 5 months. Does anyone have any ideas ?????

HELP :help:
:help:

#2 ·
You have a bad bulb. Same thing happened to me a few years back. Do you have driving lights? If I recall, it was one of them for me that was no good. If you don't turn on the driving lights, everything should work fine.

#3 ·
Same thing happened to me just last night. I had a high but no low. Long storie short, went to napa got a set of brite lite lights and they light up so much better than the others. Ran me $25

#4 ·
Pull the switch (remove dash bezel with 4 screws), remove the switch knob and shaft (pull to "on" position and then push the little plunger on the side of the switch assembly), and then spray some contact/switch cleaner down into it (aerosol can at radio shack).

It should clean up and lubricate the switch.

KKRRSS

#5 ·
Different switch all together from a 96 model, his is a rotate knob. Not sure that will work for him.

#6 ·
Watch those early switches... D/C had a recall on them because they ran full power through the switch and they were prone to overheating and fires! The fix was a new switch design and a lay over wire harness. I dont think there is a deadline on a warranty repair but D/C should have the vin in their records to tell you if the update applied to your truck and if/when it was done.

#8 ·
There are relays for low to high. Try to find and test the relays to se of your getting voletage through them. And I would have to think ther is a fuse for te headlights somewhere...

#10 ·
Not sure, the dealer said my buddie coule but a switch when his fried in his 96 and they would instakk it for like $100. So we went off to used parts and picked ne up for $20 and did soem serious soldering.

#11 ·
IF all they wanted was $100 I would have let them do it, then if the dash burns later it's on them for faulty repair. This is a known issue on the 94-98.5 trucks with the push/pull headlight switch. The fix is a new switch (may be the same switch) but an extra harness that bypasses the switch itself with the full voltage. I believe there is a relay that uses the switch to activate power direct to the lights. The Dually's with roof lights, fender lights, and tail gate lights were most prone to issues, but others have had fires too.

#13 ·
I had the same problem with my 98 after i started adding lights the switch got hot enough that it melted the wireing harness plug and the inside of the switch i went to the junk yard and got a headlight switch plug and 12 inches of the wiring and replaced my plug but while doing the wiring i notice that the worst part of the melting on the factory plug was around the hot wire and parking light wire, so i installed a relay with direct power from the battery and its setup so the all the headlight switch does is trips the relay ive had no problems sence i did this and its been almost 3 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.