DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ESP/BAS/ABS Error

48K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  RogueOps 
#1 ·
I have an 09 Ram with 11,000 miles on it. Last night when driving home a whole bunch of lights when off on my truck. The ABS light, the ESP light, the EVIC said "park assist off" and said "ESP BAS" and "Service 4wd". This stayed on for 5 minutes then turned off. But after another few minutes it started going on and off every 30 seconds or so the whole way home (over an hour). This morning it is doing the same thing.

Two questions: Obviously I'm going to call the dealership on Monday morning, but I have to work and will have to drive the truck in the 8-12 inches of snow we are getting tomorrow....is the truck safe to drive with all this stuff turning on and off constantly?

Will whatever is wrong be covered under factory warranty? I really don't want to spend any money right now :WHT:

Thanks!

#2 ·
I also have an 09 with 10,300 miles and I had the ABS, BRAKE, ESP MDS, TRACTION CONTROL lights come on and stay on last night while driving....

another member told me to check the electrical connections that go to the wheel hubs for the ABS....which I havent had a chance to do yet.

Not sure if this helps....I hope more members can chime in

#3 ·
I would be cautious about the ABS, you will be able to stop just may not have the ABS. Can you take it to a parts store that lets you use their scanners for free to see if it will pickup anything? Advanced Auto and Auto Zone both have this service around here.

Your factory warranty will cover everything, 3 years or 36,000 miles bumper to bumper except tires, brake pads, wiper blades. If you have an extended warranty you would have to pay the deductable but only after the 3/36 warranty was over.

#5 ·
Well, I needed to go to the store. I pulled the truck out of the garage the lights were going on and off. I put the truck in drive and while still standing still the spedo was going between 0 and 15mph. I slowly hit the gas and heard the grinding that you get when the truck loses traction (the ABS or the ESP....I'm not sure) the truck kinda jumped forward, and then it went normally. At the stop sign it did the same thing so I just turned around.....

Will the dealership tow it for me under the factory warranty if I call? I am really hesitant to drive it right now.

#6 ·
My dealership towed me for free. They did inform me that I would be responsible if it turned out not to be a warranty issue.

You should be fine :)

#8 ·
Definitely shouldn't drive and the dealership better tow it.

#9 ·
You have a bad wheel speed sensor. I had one go bad last winter. It took the dealer 4 trys to get it fixed. replaced the TIPM, ABS sensor and finally a rear wheel speed sensor to get it fixed. I also had intermittant brakes being applied when going down the road - since the wheel speed sensor was malfunctioning & telling the abs sensor that wheel slip was occuring. It was very weird driving it. The dealer told me that it was ok to drive - though I didn't much.

#17 ·
Yes this is the problem, i have about 127 000km on my 09 laramie 4x4, It ust happend to me again this morning on the way to work, this is the 9th time i will now have to take it in, its always the rear abs/speed sencor in the back wheels, always either a bad connection to the sencor or the wireing harness fails, the first time they didnt warranty it cause it was muddy and "warranty doesnt cover off highway driving" so after that when ever it happens i spend about 2 hrs washing it including the frame and suspension so they cant say anything about off highway driving and they warranty it, i find it usually happens if i hit a bad set of washboards it seems to dislodge the connection to the sencor, ive told them this but they dont actually fix anything just replace sencors so it keeps happening, usually takes 2-3 tries for them to fix the connection problem before it clears and stays cleared. I do have 2" blocks in the back but had the problem several times before the blocks were installed

#10 ·
The tow truck just picked my baby up. I called the dealership this morning, he told me to call Chrysler Roadside Assistance. The lady from there was real nice and now I'm just waiting at home for them to call.....had to call off work today....

#11 ·
I'd have it towed but it's up to the dealer if they pay for it or not; some do and some don't. But there's now way I'd drive-it even around the block.

#12 ·
So the dealership called a few hours ago and said it was a bad wheel sensor (good call guys :rck:) They said they didn't have the part but would get one in tomorrow. They just called back and said that they were able to fix the sensor and will not have to replace it....does this make sense? I REALLY don't want this to happen again, will just fixing instead of replacing lead to more trouble in the future? They still are going to keep it overnight to do 2 recalls on the truck.

Thanks for all your help guys!

#13 ·
Glad to hear you got it worked out. If it were me, I would call back and ask them how they fixed it and what was wrong to begin with. I agree that it needs to be fixed correctly so the same issue doesn't catch you off guard again.

#15 ·
The plugs come loose and there is a RRT for the repair. Simply clean the connection and plug back in.. People with lifts have a better chance of having the problem.

Thanks guys! I don't have a lift, I guess I'm just unlucky :WHT: Would that RRT be "09-041 -- 2009 DS flash ABS/ESP module" or another one? I just want to double check with the mechanic when I talk to him tomorrow.

#14 ·
The plugs come loose and there is a RRT for the repair. Simply clean the connection and plug back in.. People with lifts have a better chance of having the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.