DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

transgo tfod jr.

28K views 52 replies 11 participants last post by  tactransman 
#1 ·
I just got it delivered and will be putting it in soon. does anyone have any pointers they could share.

Tom

#33 ·
I would go 3.8 lever and drill the 1-2 hole to 1/8th inch. If you want it to chirp second,leave the ball out.

#34 ·
I just put my VB back together and put it in the tranny.
I skipped step 3 pg 2 Manual Valve Position. I just put the ball back in the Rooster comb groove where it was. Is that ok? I also left the Tapered Vushing out step 4. What would that do? I hope I did this right, all I have to do now is adjust the linkage. The arm is now off. After adding fluid and Before I start up and thing I should do?

#35 ·
95 % of the time,the manual valve position is fine as is.
The tapered orifice bushing is for a firmer 3-4 shift,it won't hurt to leave it out,but we are trying to firm up shifts here ....right?

#36 ·
Yes a little firmer but mostly I want to extend the life out of my tranny. I left the ball out like you side and doubled the spring in the OD accum piston. So that will firm up 1-2 3-4 right? What would have firmed up the 2-3 shift?

#37 ·
The reason I left out that bushing was that it was a real tight fit.

#38 ·
I use a filter screw and a hammer to install the tapered bushing.

You can drill the 2-3 hole out bigger in the plate for the 2-3 shift feel. I always go .125 (1/8th)

On an overhaul,I replace the wavey snap ring with a flat one and make sure the clutch pack clearance is plenty loose. (.085 - .095 clearance) The wavey one is bad for fatiguing and breaking also.

#39 ·
Adding clutch discs to the front clutch previously pictured will also increase the bite on the 2-3 shift. Some have only 3 and the housing can be machined for another circlip groove an additional disc+steel added for a total of 4.
B@M makes an overhaul kit that uses 5 discs inplace of 4 by using thinner discs and steels for the 727 transmission which should work in a 518 transmission.

#40 ·
I finished the TFOD JR KIt last night, & test drove. Everything works great. Worked the first time and pleased w/ the results. All holes drilled at 7/64, but I wish I had know to go 1/8 bit for the 2-3 shift. No complaints here though. Glad it works & more.

On my way home on the test drive, in a double lane road a kid in a 2006/8 chevy 2500HD truck wanted to race. I wanted to see how the Ram would do w/ this SK. When my Ram changed gears I Smoked him, surprised me! He wanted more, I must have gone too hard on the second race, because I over heated 5mins later. (kid in the chevy didn't see) It was Just the bypass tube on the water pump, I should have replaced it when I did the WP 2yrs ago.

Thanks, tactransman. Thanks for the tips and tricks to make the kit better.

#41 ·

#42 ·
Hey Terry,

Now that I have the TFOD JR kit, do I check the Fluid in Park or Neutral? I am getting different readings & want to make sure which one is the right level.

#44 ·
I have checked more than one transmission after S.K. install and they always checked the same in P or N.

#43 ·
Plan on more time than they say, I'm pretty good, and have all the tools and still took me a day and a half. Keep things spotless, and have an air compressor and inch pound tork wrench. Put in an oil drain plug and temp gauge if in your plans. Make sure you have the right size drill bits.

#45 ·
Could there be something wrong then? Something blocked or not pumping?

#46 ·
Neutral fluid level reads lower and park reads higher about a 3/4'' higher.

#47 ·
Tomorrow,pull your dipstick out and look at the fluid level BEFORE YOU START THE ENGINE. Start it up in park and see if and how much the fluid level goes down.

#48 ·
I checked today before start up. Fluid level (cold) is at the curves on the dip stick. And hot, neutral is below the "min" mark and park is in the "ok" range. So the difference is about a 1/2" at most. It runs fine, I just want to make sure that theres nothing wrong with this. Thanks

#49 ·
Finally gettin my 47re for my v10 into a 1/2 ton swap rebuilt. I want "better be careful when it shifts on a wet road so the ass don't come around firm shifts", which kit would be good for that and any upgrades in parts? Motor will be mild at around 400-425hp and 500-550 ft lb tq. I'm gonna run a stock convertor and maybe spray a 100-150 hp shot of nitrous down the road.

#50 ·
I would run a TF OD JR kit with my extra mods to firm it up.

#51 ·
Does the sk-tfod jr give you everything the full on transgo shiftkit does except the down shift at any speed and the rear servo shim (Like the SK-TF used to do in a 727)?

Will there be any benefit to putting +4 back into the trans after just dropping the pan to install the shiftkit or will the +3 just pollute the synthetic and make it so it is of no benefit?
Thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge Terry!

#52 ·
Its in! does this shift kit cause the truck to downshift sooner? or is that due to something else? also its not nearly as firm as id hoped, but still love it!

#53 ·
Did you leave the ball out?

The upshift and down shift can be adjusted by the TV cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.