DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leveling kit vs 4 inch lift

16K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  byrdawg13 
#1 ·
Hey guys just like the title says im gunna lift my truck soon but want to know the best route. 6" is too much for me when i go hunting and stuff so im lookin at a 2.5" level or a 4" suspension lift. Looking to fit 305/70-17 tires(33-34x12.50). Any light shed on the matter is appreciated this is only the second truck ive ever lifted. Biggest concern is proper alignment with parts(tie rods, axleshaft joints, sway bar etc.). Thanks guys.

#3 ·
Sorry, I see you have an 06 as well now. You might want to do the 4". I did like my level kit on my 06 but not sure you will be able to fit those tires.

#4 ·
No I'm in the right place....read my sig 2nd gen is sold I got a 06 1500 3rd gen now....just haven't had a chance to change the pictures on my profile yet

#5 ·
Lol ya I haven't upgraded the sig lately...as for fitting I've heard of ppl fitting 35's with just a level but the wheel wells are FILLED!....no room for flex....and since I only wanna do 33's then I figured a level might work but I dunno....I've got a pair of 4/1 HD leaf springs on order so the back is set except for maybe a block if I go with a 4 inch....biggest thing is its a difference of over $1000 between the options haha

#7 ·
i think im sold on the 4" guys....i say do it right the first time....yea its alot more money but it does alot in terms of clearance for the tires and not to mention proper alignment on the front end parts! I been doing alot of homework and it looks like rancho is the best 4" out there for these trucks as well as being the cheapest next to RC. Not doing it til spring or later in the winter anyways but ill def post pics when im done!

#11 ·
totally agreed but why not a 62-13 reraise on a rotator cuff spline?

You can fit 33's on a stock ram 100%. 33's would look small on a 4" lift imo. if you only want to run 33's id just level it and pocket the money for drugs and hookers

#10 · (Edited)
33's will fit without a level. if all your looking to do is 33's, i would just level the truck off. FYI, the tires on stock 20's are 33's. (they measure 32.99 inches, the 305/70/17 your looking at measure 33.81). granted i dont think ive seen one, but a 4" lift on 33's might look a little...off. could be wrong though.

#13 ·
If you want a lift, and your goal is to level it at 3 inches.......I would go 4". A leveling kit at 2.5-3 inches is extremely max. YOur down travel is pretty much maxed out. If your like me, and you use your truck hunting, some of those ruts and fire roads can play havoc. Id hate to be broken out in the middle of no where, or where no one else can get to easily. If you do the 4" lift you can maintain stock CV angles and have the same drop and stuff as you would stock. Best scenario for a truck that will use 4x4

#14 ·
I would also say go 4" lift and just find a True 33" or 34" tire. Its important to keep your cv's at safe angles. I learned this the hard way. Also you will not lose and suspension travel.

#15 ·
Spoken from experience huh? haha.........

#16 ·
:ugh yeah tour up the bearings and sleeves in the front diff and cvs from having too steep angles. When you have steep angles it pulls down on your short shafts and bearings. Not a cheap fix, but I got new lift and 4.56s gears so much better now.

#17 ·
oh i know, i remember you talking about it. If you want a taller truck, the cv angles need to be kept at stock angles

#18 ·
I'm getting a pair of 4/1 leaf packs for the rear guaranteed no matter what so I can put some weight in her without much sag. As far as the lift I'm undecided...for tires I'm buying terra grapplers again either 295/70-17's(33.19x12.13) or 305/70-17's(33.98x12.36). I completely agree with the cv angles and that is the whole reason I started this thread. If I got level I'm going with the Bilstein 5100's 2"....those with my leaf springs will fit either tire size I go with(most likely go with 295's anyways) and should sit fairly level but again the cv's are stressed. If I go 4" ill go with Rancho. The biggest downside is the price difference. I'm looking at around $700 total(level+leafs) compared to about $2000(4"+leafs+duty taxes to get it across the border)!

I know I said I was sold on the 4" but after alot more research and looking at trucks with both packages I'm back to undecided. I appreciate all the input guys keep em coming!!! I'll let you's know when I'm ready to do it and make the decision!

#21 ·
You should be able to find our system up there and not pay a lot in taxes. But you are correct there is a big difference in price from a "leveling" kit to a real suspension system. Good luck in your selection.

#20 ·
heres an option, what about a body lift? I personally dont run them, but you can keep stock suspension geometry, or go 2" keeping cv safer and still get your clearance

#22 ·
I say get the 4" lift. If you do the leveling your going to wish you did the lift. I ran my leveling kit for about a week before I regretted not lifting my truck.

#23 ·
body lifts are not appealing to me...sorry. Still leaning towards the Bilstein 5100's. I seen lotsa guys running them without problems on here and some that beat their truck up and use 4x4 a hell of alot more then myself.

On the note with cv's tho i got a nice gift today. Had a squeaking/ creaking noise coming from my truck when i turned my steering wheel. Got under the truck to see what it is and i found a cv boot ripped and covered in grease. :ugh Now the biggest question is if thats the cause of the noise or has something else occured. Obviously the cv will need to get change but it almost sounds like the noise is coming from the pitman arm but i havent looked close enough....any ideas? :help:

#24 ·
depeding on how long the boots been ripped it could have caused dirt to get in join, or youve lost enough grease to dry out the joint enough to cause it to start failing, making noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.