DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tune up

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Tsweat73 
#1 ·
i have a few questions on a tune up for an 06 quad cab with 115,000 with the 4.7. i just traded my dad for the truck and i know it hasn't had a tune up since he has owned it with about 65,000 on her. first whats the gap for the plugs, second i have read to stick with the stock champions is that the case and finally how hard is it to get the coil packs off and is there anything i need to watch for when removing them? don't want to ruin one of them. truck runs fine right now i just want to get the base line where i know it is and that way i can run regular maintenance on her. thanks.

#2 ·
I believe the gap is .40 or .45 but for the 4.7s you don't have to go with copper plugs like the 5.7 but they are cheaper. The coil packs should be easy to remove at least mine were but they only had 35,000 miles on them when I changed mine

#3 ·
Stay with a .40 or .42 gap and you'll be good. The back-n-forth on the plugs is unreal and it seems this subject comes up ever week or two. The two favorite plugs are always the stocks Champions or the NGK plugs. Personally, I tried a number of different plugs but I end up putting the stock plugs back in the truck. This time I put the NGK in the truck but I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Hopeful I'll have the truck back this week and I can check them out.

:)

#4 ·
Make sure to use compressed air to blow out any debris around spark plugs.

#5 ·
I have done many plug changes on the Hemi's. It wasn't till my Megacab that I tore a boot on the coil pack. Autozone had them in stock. A 2 pack for $9. Was a easy fix, but never had that happen before. You could always squirt a tiny bit of WD40 down the side of the boots just in case....

#7 ·
I use the anti-seize on the plugs; a very thin layer. With the money I dropped on the BV heads, I'm not taking any chances.

:)

#8 ·
tune up done

well guys i got it done. wasn't as hard as i made it out to be. had visions of the old spark plug wires and how some of them use to be hard to get off the plug. all of these came right off. hardest part is getting around the stuff in the back of the engine bay. was definately time for sure. thanks for the help. on to the next item on the list. going to the dealer in the morning to get the reasons for the abs/ebrake lights coming on and staying on. let you all know what i find out about that.

#9 ·
Sounds like it wasn't too bad. I hope the light ends up just being some low fluid or something simple like that.

Your dad sounds like my dad, he doesn't take care of his truck until it breaks. My truck used to be my dads and it took a fair amount of work to get it back up to where it should be and I really wouldn't have taking it from him except I love it because it's a Bee, and it's on heck of a nice ride for my first car.

When I took it over I had to change all the spark plugs (had been running on original plugs until I swapped them at 80k), brakes, all the fluids ( still was on original fluids at 80k except for the oil) and then all of the cosmetic defects that he let go. Luckily he payed for most of that work since I didn't have money and could hardly pay for the gas haha. :D

I won't buy another car or truck from my dad, mom, or friends. They all could care less about them as long as it doesn't blow up before they get to where there going. :ugh

Good luck with the truck! I hope you don't find any hidden problems like I did :SPIN:

#10 ·
Oh man, the number of customers I had like that. Working on vehicles like were always A Pain In The A$$.

#11 ·
yeah he is one of those but its part of the reason i took it. he isn't able to keep up the payments the small business he owns has tanked along with the economy and this was the easiest way for me to help him. he has done some stuff he had the trans flushed and such but i am going to have it serviced fully soon as well as the rear end. the truck runs fine i just have to get the maintenance caught up. i don't know how the lights can be fluid since i have checked them all. it has to be something up with the sensors, but can't figure out what since both lights are on, doesn't make sense but hey what makes sense about autos right, lol.

#12 ·
That sounds exactly like my dads story. He had a small business and started another one that ended up failing so he needed the cash. I got it for about half of what he could've sold it for so I'm happy :D

#13 ·
yeah i guess its something we do for our parents cause they raised us right. got some good news today anyway. come to find out the lights are due to the truck needing a brake job. apparently when the pads wear down so far is lowers the level of the brake fluid drops down so far and trips some kind of sensor that trips the sensor so i guess i will be doing a brake job this weekend. which is better than the sensor being bad or something else. so good news on that one. i will get the girl back on track give me some time.

#14 ·
Well that would SUX! You get a ticket for no brake lights because you need a brake job. How are you going to pay for the brake job if your money has go to city hall for a ticket! There another Dodge bright idea!

:banghead:

#15 ·
i think you missed which lights i was referring to, its not the brake lights themselves its the ebrake/abs lights in the dash that are coming on. i guess its a way of warning us we need a brake job. i guess we need another sensor to go out right? at least it wasn't the sensor which is what i was worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.