DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

trouble code PO455

22K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  websmith 
#1 ·
Maybe someone could give me some advice. My 2001 Dakota has a trouble code PO455. I've got the site that give the trouble codes and It says 455 is a massive leak in the evaporative system. As far as i know the only evaporative system is the one for the air conditioning. Does anybody know if there is any something or other that is called the same thing?.

Thanks, Bob

#2 ·
Bob, my guess is the evaporative system the code refers to is the emissions system. Maybe a line on the fuel tank? Just a guess.

Steve Mace

#3 ·
Gas Cap

Take off your gas cap put it back on and remove the neg term on the battery wait a few then rehook battery this will clear code and if it does not come back you know the last time you got gas the cap was not reinstalled right .
Steve

#5 ·
I ended up with the same code on my Dakota yesterday. Took it into the local dealership this morning and it turned out to be a split hose going to the vapor canister. The hose was replaced @ N/C since it's still under warranty.

Steve

#6 ·
Had the same problem too. I noticed that right after I bought this truck used, when topping off the fuel tank there was gas underneath the truck. After a few days of driving I had a check engine light with a code P0455 (Major leak in the evaporative system).

Could not feel/see anything obvious on top as all hoses/connections were OK. At the top of the tank were the fuel inlet/overflow tubes and the fuel pump which, by touch, felt OK (I could not see them).

To make a long story short, I took it to my mechanic who dropped the fuel tank and found the fuel pump was recently replaced. The problem was whoever replaced the fuel pump crossed threaded the 6 inch diameter plastic nut that holds the fuel pump to the fuel tank.

This created my "Massive" leak in my evaporative system code P0455!

The plastic nut was only $10.00 but the labor of dropping the fuel tank was $80.00.

Just an FYI for do-it-yourselfers. You should never have to "force" anything to fit. If it doesn't fit right, back off and try again or make sure you have the right part. Then you won't cross thread it.

Once I get the bugs worked out of mine, can't wait to "Get a little mud on the tires"!

Thanks again,

J.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.