DodgeTalk Forum banner

Would you want your 2013 RAM equipped with the Air Suspension

• Yes I think its a great idea and i want it!

Votes: 66 64.7%
  • Eh maybe im not sure yet

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • No way! sounds like a bad idea and wont last

Votes: 9 8.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Air Suspension POLL

11K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  4thmouse 
#1 ·
Just curious if people are interested and would consider getting there 2013 RAM equipped with the four corner air suspension.

#2 ·
If the price is right, you damn skippy I'm intested.

#20 ·
X2!!! And it would be a comfy ride

#3 ·
Going to be one of the options boxes I check when I order my 13 ' R/T.

#10 ·
I remember reading somewhere that it was only going to be available on quad and crew cab trucks.

#4 ·
I would be curious to find out if the air lift works with 4" lifts. If that was the case then when you go highway mode that drops 2" that would put you at around a 2" lift which would be like having a leveling kit lol. Then again if you go off road mode you would add 2 inches so you wouldhave 6". I think that would be pretty sweet.

#6 ·
This is one of those things that if I was interested in I'd want to see it on the trucks for a while. I don't know enough about it to give a real educated opinion on it.

#7 ·
If it give more payload capacity and towing capacity, then yes i would want it.

If not, then AirLift 1000 with a compressor does the job just fine.

#8 ·
I am one of those that will wait for others to try it first and then I will give it a spin.

#12 ·
I really love the air suspension on the Buick PA but before I say 'yes' or 'no' for the same setup on the truck, I want to know what it's going to cost me to work on it and replace parts.

:imo

#17 ·
i am not crazy for first year changes

#18 ·
I stopped by the dealer looking to get a new ram and tested out the laramie on the lot with the air suspension.

I was wondering if I should take a 12 on the lot with the deep discounts or get a 13 with the latest goodies....

So after testing the air suspension and seeing the other goodies, im sold on the 13s.

I am now thinking of holding out until the 6'4" beds come for the crew cabs.... but I love the air suspension.

It sits really low when at its park setting, good for loading, the dog jumping in and even just sitting on the tail gates...

when at the offroad 2 setting it is obviously up much high and creates some much needed ground clearance.

So yeah, if your thinking about the air suspension... get it.

Combine the air suspension, 6'4" crew cab box and the rear coils and dodge really has the best back section of any full size truck (whole truck in my opinion).

#19 ·
i jut added air lift air bags to my 12 love it

#21 ·
There is a huge difference between adding supplemental air bags to the 2012s and the air spring suspention on the 2013s.

However I'm very happy that you love the air bags.

#22 ·
Sure, but I would warranty the heck out of the A.S. system. Wonder how well they would do in my zero weather?

#23 ·
i have the Air system on my 12 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit and i love the adjustability of the system and it does ride nice but i do believe my Ram with Bilstein 5100s rides better
I'm all for the Air ride system on a truck i just don't like how you cant drive in Off-Road settings at all after about 40 mph, so if you like the lifted look you only get it stopped or going slow, after that it goes into normal height and then about 60 it goes into Aero mode, but it does look good if you like lowered vehicles you can leave it in Aero at all times
i don't know about if you want to lift it higher than what it does what options there will be

if you have any questions about the system on a Jeep which is basically going to be the same let me know

#24 ·
no doubt difference but i am towing a tt so i wanted less squat

#25 ·
Does anyone know if the Air System has a "Trailer Tow" mode?

Reading a previous posts about it changing ride height as the speeds change, that could be a bad thing if towing a trailer. Trailer balance and the hitch pitch setup makes for better towing and safer experience, I'm not too sure it would be good to have a truck that changes hitch height as you drive.

Otherwise, yeah, if the technology can be proven to have long term durability. Years from now the simplicty of metal springs will still be working as springs, rubber/plastic hoses and bags don't currently have that track record.

#26 ·
Good question, I know it has a load level system, but I havent heard about the air suspension going into areo mode when towing. I'm assuming, because areo mode only drops the truck 1" from normal mode, it does still drop at highway speeds.

If 1" is going to screw up the towing geometry so much that a person is going to feel unsafe with that truck, that truck is over loaded.

Remember, every suspension flexes more then 1" while towing, not only from the load, but from bumps and ect.

As for the simplicity of springs, you are right, they can't be beat. But they have been taken as far as possible, technology wise. As for airsprings not having a proven track record, IMO semi's using them for hundreds of thousands of miles without failures, is enough track record for me to think they are reliable enough.

#27 ·
absolutely, my wife has a Expedition(2012), and it has it, let me tell you if you tow a fairly heavy trailer, it makes a huge difference, heck my Ram sits low when hooked to my TT, and so does the wifes Expedition until the air ride kicks in, towing is much nicer both in ride stability and control while driving.

#28 ·
Yeah, you're right if it only moves an inch or so. I had no idea how much aero mode moved the truck up or down.

I'm sure the engineers figured the bouncing motion created when a trailer is attached vs unloaded driving, or I hope they have, otherwise the system would be pumping air in and letting air out, pumping air in and letting air out all the way down the highway (I'd hate to have that happen to me, but it would be interesting to watch that going down the highway)

#31 ·
This is an excellent question... I would like to know this as well. I imagine tire rotation on these things has to be more important than ever.

I was wondering how much the hardware had to change to add the setup and how hard it would be to backward adapt it to other later 4th gens.
I think the setup is something like what you can get on the Jeep GC. You select the terrain the air-shocks/bags lift or lower the body. I don't believe the suspension changes during the movement. At the end of the Ram video clip, you hear the guy say they learned alot from the Jeep GC setup but impoved on it.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Quadra-Lift

2013 Ram 1500 Air Suspension Tech Demo

:dtrocks:

#30 ·
This is an excellent question... I would like to know this as well. I imagine tire rotation on these things has to be more important than ever.

I was wondering how much the hardware had to change to add the setup and how hard it would be to backward adapt it to other later 4th gens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.