DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

front end rattle

19K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  RobRamAZ 
#1 · (Edited)
i have a rattle/clunk that I can here when the front tires hit a bump at lower speeds under 40. it's hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. It doesn't do it at 60-70. checked ball joints, tie rods etc. If I hit the bar that mounts to the pitman with the palm of my hand i get a noise that sounds like could be it but my friends does the same thing when I hit his but he doesn't have the sound I have while driving. It is getting annoying and I don't want to throw money at parts.

#2 ·
Did you jack it up and get the weight off the front tires? Then shake the front tires and all the parts.

#4 ·
I got a recall #H46 for front end. you might check into it.

#5 ·
I believe that recall is for the steering linkage. I had mine in the shop for a trans service (which I will do myself next time) and they found the recall. I also remember a descussion on the forum about this rattle before and the finding was related to the steering knuckle. Since i'm not a young stud anymore :D the memory appears to be the second thing to go so you might want to do a search to verify.

#6 ·
Well I adjusted the steering box and the pitman play is gone but I still had the noise while driving. After two alignment shop inspections that said it was all good I did my own inspection and found I need all 4 ball joints, very little play but enough to make some noise. What fun that will be. I guess every 50,000 miles I'll be doing this?

#7 ·
If you put in stock ball joints or stock like replacements. If you plan to keep the truck for a long time you may want to consider some Carli or Dynatrac ball joints. The Carli uppers are available now and the lowers should be out in a few months. Dynatrac is expecting to ship their uppers and lowers in a few weeks.

#8 ·
I looked at those and Carli is just too much money for me and they aren't guaranteed from what I can tell so I could spend big money and if they fail I'm SOL. The Dynatrac price is confusing, looks like $599 for all 4 but not sure.

#9 ·
I just hit 50K on my truck and will be looking into those.

#10 ·
I just can't see spending the big money on Carli units, I am going to do XRF brand, should be much better then stock but much less of a joint then Carli.

#13 ·
If you have not found your problem, check the wheel bearings. I have a 2003 1500 quad 5.7l and I would hear a rattle sound at low speeds up til about 40. Thought it was the brake pad shields. Took the wheel off and turned the hub by hand...rough. Replaced the bearing assy (hub unit) and no more rattle.

#14 ·
Im glad I found this subject, I have just started hearing that noise from my front end. I used to have an 04 ram 1500 and that same noise happend to that truck to when I took it to the dealer they told me that one of my axles was loose. I didnt know at the time if they were full of crap or not but maybe there is a difference in heavy duty trucks front ends and halfton frontends.

#16 ·
The 1500 and 2500 are so different that noises on a 1500 rarely would be the same problem on a 2500. My problem is the ball joints for sure. I am waiting for xrf lowers but may buy spicer joints soon if xrf doesn't come through.

#35 ·
Who did you determine the ball joints play if its only 1/16 to 1/8th. I check mine by lifting the front end up and grabing the wheels and moving them back and forth and up and down, then took the wheel and disc off and grabed and shook by hand, a 1/16 is very little play. I am I also right in believeing that once the ball joints start to go they get worse somewhat quikly. Any tips would be great. Thanks

#18 ·
Ok before you drop big money on new ball joints. I have 118K miles on my truck. At about 36K I noticed while rotating the tires that I had up and down pay in the wheels while there was no weight on them. I took it to the dealer who diagnosed it as unit bearings and replaced them under warranty. When the tech put the wheels back on the truck I tried them and the same play was still there. I did a little digging and found out that the stock ball joints are allowed to have .060 on one and .090" on the other play in them. I had the tech check them and they were within specs. Fast forward to a week ago, I heard a clunking noise while riding in rush hour traffic beside the concrete barrier. I got home and found a u-joint on the drivers side front axle was shot. I replaced the u-joint and while taking the axle apart I found I still have the same amount of play in the ball joints that I had at 36K miles, now at 118K miles.

#19 ·
your ball joint are not going to clunk, there hold up all the weight off your truck. new they will move op and down almost an 1/8th inch. if you can grab the top and bottom of the wtire and move it in and out than there shot but still wont clunck. id look int other things. i just replaced a shock that was causing the same issure your haveing, i found that with a set a chassis ears. save your money and get it diagnost right and not just throw parts at it.

#20 ·
My '05 3500 had the same clunk. It was under warranty, I took it in and they threw some parts at it, and said it was done. I went and picked it up, and as I left the stealer ship I hit a little bump going out the drive. The clunk (or pop) was still there. Turned around and told them to try again. Picked it up the second time, and it was gone. I was told it was the cross member poping when the frame would twist. Chrisler's fix (or my stealer ship's) was to lube the cross member so it wouldn't pop. It would have a little give. I have drove it another 150k and I just started hearing it again. Take it for what it's worth.

#21 ·
I jack up the front end until the tires just clear the floor. I then drop it and I hear the noise. It isn't the sway bar end links and both sides have more play then I am comfortable with. I will be replacing them and the u-joints at the same time. As far as I can tell my bearings are tight and they don't make any noise typical of bearings being worn. When I drop the truck for the noise test it really sounds to be coming from where the ball joints are. I understand the truck is held up by these but on jarring bumps when the suspension rebounds I think that is when it makes the noise.

#22 · (Edited)
You are probably correct Josh Brown. These heavy dodges are known for wearing out ball-joints. And if I hadn't knocked off and ran over my exhaust last weekend I'd be looking into ball-joints myself.
What kind and price you looking at?

#23 ·
XRF are only about $56 for each one buying direct but it looks like I may have to go with Spicer lowers since the darn XRF ones are still on backorder and the Spicer ones are $90 a piece. I have not priced U-joints but am thinking like $25 each. If I had a dial indicator I would know how much play I have but I don't. When unload the suspension and drop it I get real close to the knuckle and the sound is coming from there. The biggest thing is the time it will take to do these. I need a full day just to be sure I can get it done and that has been hard to come by lately. I refuse to pay for the labor.

#25 ·
The front axle u-joint I bought was a Precision brand and it cost about $52....

#26 ·
It's not a shock, I thought so too but had them replaced under warranty and noise is still there, Checked the shocks to make sure they are tight. It's the ball joints.

#27 ·
I was just told at the dealer while in for an oil change that my lower control arm bushings are getting sloppy. While they had it in the air they turned the steering all the way one way and they could see the arms move a bit when it hit the stop. I do feel a slight clunk sometimes. They also told me that you can not order these bushings through Dodge. I must replace the whole control arm at $415 a piece. After a quick search on the internet I see that I can just buy the bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.