DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is there a cure for the hemi tick?

44K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  mitchgmace 
#1 ·
I seen lot's of talk about the hemi tick and last night I noticed my
04 hemi with 7000 miles now has the tick:bawl: it's sucks makes my
truck sound cheap like like I got some bad engine problems ...GEEZ0!
it sounds like i got a bad lifter hope not! anyway

Is this normal for a hemi to tick like a bad lifter sound?

What does the dealer say about the Tick ? just to live with it?

Is there a recall for the hemi Tick?

What have to done about Your Hemi Tick Anything? i,e. diffent oil or
tighten the rocker arms?

Im just trying to figure out what to do about my Tick as I don't
remember hearing it when I got the truck new The only thing I've
was to go to mobil 1 oil 5-30 I wonder if the Mobil 1 oil started the Tick?

anyway
Thanks guys for any help
about what to do About the hemi Tick

I love my Truck but this Tick has got to go :VHOT:

Eddie
04 Hemi quad cab sport

See less See more
#2 ·
Try adding a quart or so of tranny fluid to the engine go drive the piss out of it, then do an oil change.....that is the trick for stuck lifters anyway...

#4 ·
Your trucks fine. Stop worrying about it. Almost all of them make that noise. The dealer said there is nothing wrong. The are lots of em out there with some miles without problems. Engines make noise, get exhaust and you never hear it again.

#6 ·
Mikey's HEMI said:
best answer i heard yet....LOL
Agreed!! :gr_patrio

#7 ·
I don't know of a fix, but I've read of a few who had the tick having problems with valves and/or valve springs. Of the hemi owners I know only 1 of 5 has the tick and it doesn't sound normal to me. Of course my neighbor said it was normal until he heard mine without the tick. Of course the one who had the tick thought it was normal because that's what the dealer told him. He doesn't now that he's ridden in a hemi without the tick.

#8 ·
Okay folks, I'm not the most knowledgable about valvetrains, but here goes anyway (and yes, I have the tick)...Since we have hydraulic roller lifters in the hemi engine and that seems to be the root of the problem, would it be possible to replace them with a regular roller lifter or something? It seems to me that with our lifters having so many moving parts that it would be sensible to replace them with a lower maintenance lifter. Like I said though, I am not the valvetrain guru and would love to get some input on this. Many thanks.

#10 ·
You guys with the tick should do a search on here and read up. I have owned two Hemis now (03 & 04) 03 had a tick and broke a exhaust valve spring at about 18,000 miles. Do the search! A short of what you will find is. Some have the tick and no problems. Some don't have the tick. Some have the tick and problems. Some try using 5w20 oil in them and seems to help. I have heard all types of oils in them and still a tick. As for recall not yet.
If you are concerned you should take it in and have it recorded that there is a tick. Maybe contact the DC customer service and make them aware of you tick.
I also have heard of replacement lifters and spring setups that takes care of problem.

#11 ·
Best fix for the “Tick”
Cummins Turbo Diesel

#12 ·
04Ram2500Hemi said:
Best fix for the “Tick”
Cummins Turbo Diesel
:nutkick: back at you! Those CTD tick (cladder) so loud you can't hear yourself think. They also stink so much you can't breath :D :nutkick:

#13 ·
I must disagree. The new CTD is quieter than my Hemi (and I am tick free).

#14 ·
keep nut kicking me and I will end up in the hospital LOL.

#18 ·
tyler711 said:
Aren't you supposed to use 5w-20 anyway?
they recommend 5w-20 for the 05's.. just had my first oil change yesterday at the dealer and no tick..(knocking on wood). but i did found a tick on my dog. does that count? :D

#20 ·
tyler711 said:
I wonder why. Any changes to the engine between 04 and 05?
that don't know.. my first dodge truck.. i haven't heard about the tick problem until i join the forum a week after i got my truck.

#21 ·
The faster Hemis don't tick. :rck:

#23 ·
rtes said:
There is a cure for the "Tick" I use Frontline most of the time but if it gets really bad switch over to Advaticks.
Both work but like to start off gently.
damn.. that's what i forgot.. frontline and heartguart. thanks for reminding me rtes. shoppin i will go. :D

#24 · (Edited)
The above is and was supposed to be a joke.
You could always get the more advanced and expensive to build 4.7.
Add a turbo and of course have that manual transmision you always wanted and cost about the same as a Hemi.
Above is also not meant to be taken completely seriously but AirRam is other wise occupied :gr_patrio and just felt someone from the 4.7 camp should say something, so, something.

#25 ·
rtes said:
The above is and was supposed to be a joke.
You could always get the more advanced and expensive to build 4.7.
Add a turbo and of course have that manual transmision you always wanted and cost about the same as a Hemi.
Above is also not meant to be taken completely seriously but AirRam is other wise occupied :gr_patrio and just felt someone from the 4.7 camp should say something, so, something.
:thatfunny yeah.. i know that.. i just need them for my dogs! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.