DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moes 87MM Throttle body Review.

35K views 96 replies 33 participants last post by  sunburst08 
#1 ·
I removed my Fastman 85MM-throttle body.
Installed my 87MM from Moes.
This is about a 10 minute job,if you can change a lightbulb you can do this mod.

Caution though; The tq needed to tighten the throttlebody is very low,so all you really need to do,is snug it up till it starts to tighten up,then stop.Its in inch pounds,so just be careful.

I took a couple days to review the unit,I really wanted to make sure I didnt have a code,or surging issue pop up after i posted the review.

Day 1
Inital review:
1.There is a noticeable difference between the Fastmann and Moes,which surprised me because I really liked my fastmann 85MM unit.

1.Truck has more pull right from idle,this was my biggest surprise,I was really only expecting to see a difference in the upper RPM.

2.Part throttle is improved also,you dont need to put to the floor to feel the difference,its notcieable everywhere.

3.Passing gear will put a smile on your face,truck pulls hard,but around 4000 RPM you can actually feel and hear the intake switching over to the longer intake runners.

4.No hesitation right from idle,I kind of expected to get a bit off lag with the bigger throttlebody but theres none there.

Day 2.
5.I loaded up a 91 tow tune with Superchips,since thats what I run on my truck 95% of the time,and this is where you will really notice the extra power,the advanced timing with the Superchips,and the more air coming into the motor,seems to really make the truck fun to drive and when you floor it,things get noisy fast.The sound of the intake gets a little louder,and when it starts pulling in the upper RPM it is very impressive.
No surging just really long steady pulling.

Well thats it.No codes,no surging,no excessive high idle nothing.
I am surprised by how well it works,Im even more surprised that i can feel a very noticeable difference over my 85MM Fastman unit.

I would expect any truck would notice a difference with this unit,but I would suggest pairing it with a good intake,if you truly want to see what this unit can do.
I have a good intake,and I think that is part of the reason I feel such a big difference with this unit.

I have not tried the 85MM unit Moes so i cant tell you its better or worse than Moes 87MM unit,but i can tell you its a good upgrade over my old 85MM unit.

Thanks for the great throttlebody Matt.
Sorry I wont be sending it back to you anytime soon.LOLOL.

See less See more
#34 ·
Nope I took off my Mopar intake that I modified to make it more a ram air CAI and swapped the TB's out.(added a feeder tube to the air box where it was feed through the lower grille). Maybe if I get some time I'll swap out the TB back out with the Fastman and make another run. My best estimate maybe .2 from the vararam but the majority of the gain was from the 87mm TB probably around .3 -.4. The throttle response is much improved, the rpms want to rev like crazy on the top end, light touch, half throttle it wants to take off...I can guarantee no CAI is gonna do that.

#36 ·
what should i expect when putting the 87 mm on my motor and it being supercharged, ever one here is saying how great it is on there stock trucks or mildly bulit add-ons like air intake, programmer and exhaust, but what about built motors and supercharged motors ????????

#38 ·
im already running an 85 mm and just was curious cause i know the more air you allow then the more fuel the computer will allow but the supercharging is already allowing more air to be pushed in and i have bigger injectors so i got plenty of fuel also and just was curious is all

#40 ·
is there a try it before you buy it type of warranty or if i buy it and im not impressed with the results of it, i actually have my stock one sitting around, can you make that into a 87mm and whats the cost to do that ???

#41 ·
If I were you I would jump at the opportunity to buy the TB and take you're chances while the price is as low as it is instead of trying to take advantage of the guys giving the ram/dodge owners options in the performance market.

#43 · (Edited)
Good review! Man I need to pick me up one of these already :) Seems like it will go amazingly with the vararam

#44 ·
Installed mine last night and cleaned the beejezus out of my Vararam unit before closing the hood. Stop and go traffic isn't exactly the optimal place to test it out though. I'll gauge any benefits later.

#45 ·
I also installed my 87mm TB yesterday and am pleased so far. As Grant stated, the TB is really noticeable in passing gear and pulls hard from about 3500 rpm on. I hope to install the trinity, 1 3/4 ARH headers and hi-flow cats this week and will report back.

#47 ·
Without a tuner, I would stay with the 85mm. We did put a few out there on untuned trucks, and while they did feel a gain over stock, it wasnt as much of an improvement as the guys that had more mods and a tuner. If you plan to add a tuner in the future, then you are better off getting the 87 now so that you dont have to buy it again down the road. I currently have 12 of the 87mm and 6 of the 85mm in stock and ready to ship.

#50 · (Edited)
Okay and yeah I am planning of getting a tuner in the near future so I will go with the 87mm or maybe the 85.

#48 ·
my point was i already have the 85 mm on my truck and on the website it looks like 3 to 5 extra horse to go from a 85 to 87 mm but with me being supercharged i was wondering if it was even worth the time or money to get one, if i was stock and or add just bolt on's then yes the 87 mm would be my choice but i just dont believe in my application i will feel or see the difference , just my .02 cents cause just like the old saying you may have 700 hp on the dyno but bring it out on the road and or track is where it counts , but they do make good products there tho

#55 ·
Our numbers are rated low for the 87mm TB. I didnt want to throw a high number on there, then have a guy with a stock truck order one and not feel any gains. There have been 2 members now that switched from their Fastman 85mm to our 87mm, and there was a night and day difference for both trucks. You also have to remember, our 85mm is not the same as Fastmans either. So although your current TB is also an 85mm, that does mean it is going to perform the same as our 85mm. I am very confident in our design, and the feedback from our customers backs that up.

I dont take anything on the forums personal, so I am not offended by the questions. I have plenty of these available if/when you decide to give it a shot.

#52 ·
I believe there was a dyno done back to back with just the TB changed, it was 26hp IIRC. That will be more than your typical gains, but none the less, thats what his set up gained. I will be trying one with my set up as soon as I put the funds together, which will be sooner then later.

#57 ·
You ae correct and I was the one that did the dyno pulls. I've been extremely satisfied with my 85mm. I would like to sell mine and buy an 87mm and do another dyno to compare.

#64 ·
I would stick with the 85mm for your setup unless you are planning on adding headers as well. The extra air in isnt going to show the best gains until the full exhaust has been re worked. If you are thinking about headers down the road as well, then I would say go with the 87mm.

#65 ·
Matt I'm gonna be on the dyno tomorrow for an hour.....I'm going to be doing a stock tune pull with my current set-up vs two hemifever tunes. If I have time still left I'll swap in the stock TB and make a pull with it. I plan on taking some vids but will have dyno sheets...I will post my results.

#66 ·

#67 ·
I am going to get mine today...

#68 ·
Matt, I have an 05', mods so far are: E-fan, Superchips3865, BBK shorties, Jba y-pipe, Borla cat-back, 180 t-stat not installed yet, power wire (summer months), jet scoop,K&N drop in filter, 3" tube to eliminate Hemi hat.

Would the 85 or 87 mm be better for my application? I'm looking for off the line and under 2000 rpm performance and or fuel mileage. But if on or the other offers a better increase over all what do you suggest ? Thanks

Also looking for a good intake, and package deal on gears&DTT for a 4x4.

#72 ·
Just bringing this back to the top. We currently have 13 of 87mm TB's in stock and 6 of the 85mm.

Yesterday I installed an 87mm on a 2005 with full bolt-ons and a Diablo tuner. He loves it. He said that throttle response on the highway improved greatly, and there was a very noticable power increase over 2500rpms.

#75 ·
Get rid of the TB spacer, It's a paper weight :p if you don't plan on doing anymore modding the 85 would be what I would go with :)

#77 ·
Lol I'm not an employee of moes :p I buy from him enough though haha. I am sure he would say the same thing how ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.