DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4WD won't engage

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  zsensi18 
#1 ·
Hey Guys I have been doing lots of searching and cannot find any threads that cover what my problem is.

Have an 06 1500 electronic t-case:
I am on a road trip to see a neurosurgeon for my bad back and I was on the interstate and was in 4wd because the roads were bad. at one point the roads weren't bad anymore so i slowed to about 60mph and shifted into 2 wheel. It shifted out fine and then about 10 seconds later the service 4wd light started flashing then stayed on. I got to my destination, pulled the terminal to clear the codes, turned it back on and the light was out. But now the 4wd will not engage. I can hear the little actuator when I hit the switch but 4wd light just flashes and will not engage. Did I screw something up shifting at that speed or could it just be grime on the actuator?? any suggestions would be great because I have to drive back tomorrow.

#2 ·
Wait till the truck cools off completely and give it a try. We see this issue from time to time in AZ during the summer time when we wheel hard. The electronic t-cases get finiky when they are really hot and driving on the interstate at 60mph for extended stretches will definitely do that. Try it again once its cool and let us know the results.

#4 ·
i had the same prob... try your cruse control... and if that isnt workin either then its your wheel speed sensor....controls your 4x4, cc, and abs...im 100% sure that is your problem...P.S nice truck:D

#5 ·
What code were you throwing?

#8 ·
didn't actually throw a code...just cleared the computer so the service 4wd would go out...though when i turn the key forward before i start it when all of the lights light up the service 4wd still comes on and flashes a couple times which it has never done before today.

#6 ·
yea i know it isnt the speed sensor...my buddy who is a dodge mechanic and i actually changed the speed sensor last week while we were sorting out some abs issues...cruise control works fine...worked the whole way here, before and after the service 4wd light came on...

#7 ·
i dont know what code my truck was throwing cause i didnt check, i just figured thats what it was cause i had no 4x4,cc,abs so i knew it was the sensor..replaced the sensor in the hub and it worked a1..

#10 ·
i plan on taking it to my buddy at the dodge garage when i get back but i tell ya it will be a very sketchy drive back in 2wd...

#11 ·
im pretty sure if u clear the codes then engage the 4wd when u start it then it will engage until u put it back i 4wd..... thats what i did with mine when i needed to go get the part...

#12 ·
yea after i cleared the computer i was not able and am still not able to get it to engage. I am not sure what i did to it...i see now that i was going just a little too fast. I thought you could engage/disengage at 60 but its actually a max of 55 according to the manual. Like I said I did not hear anything when I disengaged it on the interstate so I hope it is just electrical and didnt shear off the teeth in the t-case.

#14 ·
if it was the speed sensor i would have 1(abs/brake light) and 2) possible crazy speedometer and 3) no cruise control...i know this because I bought the truck with abs issues and it turned out to be the connector for the main harness behind the driver tire and we fixed that issue.

#16 ·
whatever it may be i need to have it fixed....hopefully in the am if angus devil is correct the t-case will be cooled down and shift fine...if not then it will be a hairy drive back after going to the doctor

#17 ·
If you sheared the teeth off the t-case, you sure as hell would know.

#18 ·
thats what i figured...so maybe it is the speed sensor...we shall find out tomorrow...we'll know when we hook it up to their fancy little witech computer...gotta love getting hundreds of dollars worth of work at the dealership for free (besides treating my buddy to some beers later)

#20 ·
got back home without too much trouble today...but where I'm having so much trouble with my back I am just hitting the couch for the night and will take it to my buddy someday this week....luckily still have my faithful subaru wrx which sadly goes in the snow better than the truck but sits about 4" off the ground

#21 ·
Sold my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT (2.5 liter turbocharged 250hp) before I bought the Ram that car was always flat out AMAZING in the snow.

#22 ·
alright time to resurrect this thread...finally fixed the truck yesterday (and it wasn't the front speed sensor)...turns out the FAD (front axle disconnect) was bad. So $110 and we're all good now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.