DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbren Springs (Aeon bump stops)

7K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Buzzbass 
#1 · (Edited)
First I have to thank Redtruck-VA for this idea as it was not mine..

My truck like many lowered Rams was sitting on the factory bump stops so every time I hit a bump or dip in the road it had the potential to be harsh.. And because of the size tire I'm choosing to run I didnt want to use a short button type bumpstop because that was just asking for fender damage.. No thanks.

I don't drive my truck much so it hasn't been a major issue since most of the roads around me are pretty decent, but with such limited up travel those ever looming bumps and dips were starting to get annoying.. Its suprising the truck rode as good as it did actually!!

So in comes Aeon bump stops.. Which are actually a rubber spring.. They are not solid and give(flex) when enough weight is applied to them..
I read about Redtruck-VA installing these on his truck quite some time ago and he has recommended them many times on the boards.. Seems few have followed his advice but I did and am VERY glad I did..

I ordered a set for the front and rear.. I'm not sure if I'll use the rear since I don't have a frame slap issue in the back and never haul anything in this truck, but I have them just in case..

Here is the front and how I did it..

Here is the passenger side at stock ride height with the factory bump stop.. The bump stop cup has to be removed..
View attachment 389106

On the right is the factory bump stop removed.. I just used a grinder and ground out the welds.. On the left is the new Aeon bump stop..
View attachment 389114

Here is the frame mount ground, primed and a little black paint to help with any rust..
View attachment 389122

Notice the hole in the mount, this will be important later..
View attachment 389130

View attachment 389138

The Timbren A140-65 is what is used for the front.. This one has a threaded sleeve molded into the top of it so its really easy to install on the truck...

For the bolt I looked at what I had on hand and found that the 15mm bolts that hold the rear factory bumpstops to the frame are the same thread as what is in the Aeon bump stop.. These bolts are from a previous project but if you were going to also do the rear bumps on your truck than these bolts might be an option for you to use..
View attachment 389146

The bolts just need to be cut down a bit so they can't bottom out on the top of the lower control arm.. and of course a little loc-tite wont hurt either
View attachment 389154

Bottom view.. Just right!
View attachment 389162

Now here it is all mounted with the truck settled back to its ride hieght.
View attachment 389170

After driving just within my neighborhood it was apparent that this mod helped.. I took it out on some twisty roads to really test it where I knew there would be some dips and it was great!! It is still stiff, but NOT jarring.. there is some up travel now and the tires never hit the fenders..

If your bumpstops are touching your lower control arms than this could be a mod for you..

See less See more
#2 ·
nice upgrade

#5 ·
Definately! I wish I hadn't waited so long to do it..

I'm wondering if these would help mine. For some reason, after doing the flip, the back feels super soft. I didn't change anything about the leafs. I do have about 2" before it hits the bump stops.
The only way these could stiffen anything up is if you are riding on them.. If you have 2" before the bumpstop than these won't change you're ride, and they aren't long enough to fill in the 2" gap..
The only reason to use these would be if you were having a frame slap/bottoming out issue. Or actually riding on the bump stop and didn't want to notch your frame..

In your case I would recommend a stiffer shock, or an add a leaf.. Or if you can go just a little lower, clamp the front side of the over loads with some spring clamps.. Thats not my favorite method but it won't hurt anything and would stiffen up the spring packs.

Looks good man. Just a FYI I have a brand new rear set for sale listed on the classifieds.
Thanks man..
I have a rear set too, I'm just not in need of installing them at the moment.. I have plenty of travel in the rear of my truck and never haul with it so no issues...
GLWS :)

#3 ·
I'm wondering if these would help mine. For some reason, after doing the flip, the back feels super soft. I didn't change anything about the leafs. I do have about 2" before it hits the bump stops.

#6 ·
so far, I have a set of those 1500lb helper springs on the top of the leafs, behind the axle. What little I was able to drive it, they seemed to help. But is that normal, a flip making the springs seem noticeably softer ? Shocks are Belltech street performance, too soft ?

#8 ·
I can't say I remember how soft my QC Hemi was in the rear when I did the flip on it.. I can't compare it to my silver truck because the RC SRT rear suspension is completely different..
On my QC though I had it flipped with the factory shackles and leaves for a 6" drop and also used the street performers.. I had no issues with it other than it was in desperate need of a notch. Unfortunately I can't give you a straight answer..

Nice upgrade ... :) :tup:

#7 ·
Nice upgrade ... :) :tup:

#9 ·
I got street perf shocks on all 4 corners & I think there's a couple inches of gap between the front & rear bumpstop & it will still jar you around.

#10 ·
Well, there's that feeling too. It has touched the bump stops on a nasty pot hole or two, just a barely. But I'm talking mushy. Maybe the engine is making more power since the heads & cam swap, and that's what I'm feeling ? I do think it will get worse with the new engine and new high stall convertor too. I don't know how to describe it. When you step on it, it feels like the rear springs just collapse under the torque. Especially turning, it feels like it really squats on whichever rear tire is on the outside. Sort of like a sprint car, you'd almost expect it to lift the front tire on the oppostie corner.....if that makes any sense. The entire rear just seems soft, weak, mushy. I don't recall it riding like that when the axle was under the springs

#14 ·
Stock as far as I know. 3 curved ones and the short/flat one on the bottom.

#12 ·
I'm sure my issue is not cause it has too much tq..lol

#13 ·
Nice upgrade

#15 ·
Thanks bro

Stock as far as I know. 3 curved ones and the short/flat one on the bottom.
Yeah, thats stock...
This is one of those things thats hard to address w/o actually having the issue yourself or atleast the truck in front of you, but here are my suggestions.. I'm just throwing it all out there

Side to side roll could be dealt with installing a rear sway bar..
But that does nothing for straight line accel..

If you feel its too soft just getting on it in a straight line adding another leaf to the packs should help if you can't find some stiffer shocks..

When you get on it is the rear compressing far enough to hit the bump stops?
Are your rear bumpstops the factory bumpstops?

Maybe try some adjustable rear shocks or even air shocks..
Depending how much you want to invest, air bags could be nice option..

Going to a junk yard and getting another set of leaves and experimenting a little with extra leaves added could be the answer to your issue..

Is wheel hop an issue for you?

#16 ·
But that does nothing for straight line accel.. in the plans, I plan to do Hotchkis Bars front & rear

If you feel its too soft just getting on it in a straight line adding another leaf to the packs should help if you can't find some stiffer shocks.. Any suggestions ? Edelbrock IAS perhaps ? I do have those 1500 lb over load springs on now, didn't get to test it much before the engine coughed. They did seem to stiffen things up though.

Are your rear bumpstops the factory bumpstops? No, but a good ptohole acn make them hit. The bumps are the shorter ones that come in the McGaughy's flip kit. I probably have about 2" of travle now before they hit. The rear springs are mounted in the upper holes on the shackles. They could be dropped to the bottom if needed, but I'd lose my leve stance then.

Who makes a good adjustable ? Especially one for a 5" rear drop. No bags or air shocks, I'd upgrade the leaves 1st.

Going to a junk yard and getting another set of leaves and experimenting a little with extra leaves added could be the answer to your issue..I thought about this too. Maybe even getting a set of 2500 leafs. I believe the leafs are the same from 94-06(?), whenever the coil rears started. Is that correct ?

With the current engine, before it cooked, no. With the new engine and 2800 stall convertor, unknown. I do know it seems tough to spin those 20s in it's current configuration though

#17 ·
But that does nothing for straight line accel..

in the plans, I plan to do Hotchkis Bars front & rear

Right on, its a nice upgrade for sure..

If you feel its too soft just getting on it in a straight line adding another leaf to the packs should help if you can't find some stiffer shocks..

Any suggestions ? Edelbrock IAS perhaps ? I do have those 1500 lb over load springs on now, didn't get to test it much before the engine coughed. They did seem to stiffen things up though.

Honestly.. no, I have no specific recommendations.. Its just a suggestion.. On my lifted Z71 I had added overloads on it and it made a big difference.. But that was several years ago and I don't remember the brand I used nor do I still have that truck..

Are your rear bumpstops the factory bumpstops?

No, but a good ptohole acn make them hit. The bumps are the shorter ones that come in the McGaughy's flip kit. I probably have about 2" of travle now before they hit. The rear springs are mounted in the upper holes on the shackles. They could be dropped to the bottom if needed, but I'd lose my level stance then.

On my Hemi (6" rear drop), any good dip or pot hole would make the axle slap the frame.. That truck needed a notch or at the very least some Aeon bump stops.. I completely feel you on the stance, I get that.. The stance is the whole point!!
A set of Aeon springs would definately help with the bottoming out.. Depending how far the rear squats they might even help with the softness.. If you have 2" gap now the Aeon springs are about 3" tall.. That would take up most of the gap... Could be a solution for you.. It could be a $60 fix or $60 in the garbage.. Some thing you'd have to really look at and decide if its worth the shot for you or not

Who makes a good adjustable ? Especially one for a 5" rear drop. No bags or air shocks, I'd upgrade the leaves 1st.

Well... oops, I didn't think about the lowered part when I said adjustable shocks... They are probably all too long.. But with the McGaughys shock extenders mabe there are some Ranchos that would fit.. Not sure

Going to a junk yard and getting another set of leaves and experimenting a little with extra leaves added could be the answer to your issue..

I thought about this too. Maybe even getting a set of 2500 leafs. I believe the leafs are the same from 94-06(?), whenever the coil rears started. Is that correct ?

I'm thinking 2500 leaves may be a bit much and would lift the rear of your truck.. Maybe not though, I've never tried them..
Dodge switched to the coil rears in 09 on the 1500s.. The 2500s and up are still leaf sprung in the rear..

With the current engine, before it cooked, no. With the new engine and 2800 stall convertor, unknown. I do know it seems tough to spin those 20s in it's current configuration though
I was asking mainly to see if axle wrap was an issue and if you had considered a set of cal-tracs..

#21 ·
Have any of you put a set of hydraulic bump stops on your truck?

:)

Attachments

#22 ·
those can't be cheap

#23 ·
I don't know but I'm thinking about putting in a set on the front of my truck. I post it if I do the mod.

:donno:

#26 ·
McGaughy's 2/4.5 spindle with rear flip

#27 ·
ok, same as me. Tell me, did the rear feel noticablely softer after installing the flip ? Like the truck makes the rear end squat super easy now. Didn't "feel" that soft before the drop. I'm using the beltech street performance shocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.