DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2007 Dodge Caravan SE MP3/CD Player ?

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  gsmagnum 
#1 ·
Hello,

We just leased a new 2007 Dodge Caravan. We're very happy with the purchase, the interest rate was 0% , price is right and all is good.

However, something keeps hunting me. The first question I've asked the sales person is whether the standard model comes with MP3 support. His instant reply was Yes.

I've repeated the question to him several times thereafter because I noticed on the stereo player there is no MP3 sign. Even my wife asked him twice and repeatedly he said without hesitation Yes, it can play MP3s.

Well, after we got the car, we tried playing a regular MP3 CD and it wouldn't work (ERR message). Tried several other MP3 CDs with not much luck. The salesman was surprised and said it must support MP3.

I went on the web and looked up certain sites, and they all said the standard model stereo can read MP3 CDs:

autos.yahoo

motortrend website

automotive website

The exact word is: "Audio system with AM/FM and CD player CD player reads MP3 "

I couldn't find information on Dodge website in regard to the standard stereo.

Does anyone know if the 2007 standard support playing MP3 , and whether there is only a specific format supported ?

p.s. I tried finding a search function on the forum with no luck! Can I search the forums ?

Thx,

Tamouh

See less See more
#4 ·
Perhaps the salesman meant you could use your MP3 player with a adapter. I don't know much about them. I bought my son one for Christmas. He purchased a adapter that plugs into the cigar lighter. It must be a transmitter because he then sets his car radio to a certain frequency and hears the player through the cars speakers. The Dodge website doesn't list any specific info.

http://www-5.dodge.com/caravan/index.html

A search doesn't mention Caravan

http://www-5.dodge.com/searchapp/ui.jsp

#6 · (Edited)
Ah well doesnt really matter
I have searched all over myself and have determined that no chrysler radio plays mp3's, except maybe some navigation units

the newer radios like the magnum and 300 radios have a 3.5mm input jack right on the face of the radio to connect an mp3 player or ipod or something

EDIT: RAQ (AM/FM 6 CD changer) and RAK (AM/FM 6 CD Changer/cassette) radios in the magnum, charger, 300 and 04 up durango will play MP3's

but no rounded faced radios like the 01-07 caravan will play mp3

should have waited for the 08! Entertainment features include an entertainment system that can play different DVDs at the same time, MyGIG™ CD/DVD/HDD/MP3/satellite radio with voice-activated capability, touch screen and real-time traffic and navigation, and hands-free cellphone system

#7 ·
donald7150 said:
Ah well doesnt really matter
I have searched all over myself and have determined that no chrysler radio plays mp3's, except maybe some navigation units

the newer radios like the magnum and 300 radios have a 3.5mm input jack right on the face of the radio to connect an mp3 player or ipod or something

EDIT: RAQ (AM/FM 6 CD changer) and RAK (AM/FM 6 CD Changer/cassette) radios in the magnum, charger, 300 and 04 up durango will play MP3's

but no rounded faced radios like the 01-07 caravan will play mp3

should have waited for the 08! Entertainment features include an entertainment system that can play different DVDs at the same time, MyGIG™ CD/DVD/HDD/MP3/satellite radio with voice-activated capability, touch screen and real-time traffic and navigation, and hands-free cellphone system
He says purchased the standard Caravan. I don't think you will find these options in that trim line

#9 ·
Yes, the Caliber I had for rental had the AUX jack for MP3 players. But that option is not available on Caravan!

It is a bit strange why Chrysler decided not to make MP3/CD standard even though most other manufacturers have '07 models standard with MP3 players.

That NAV system is sweet, but then it wasn't an option to upgrade a single item. I had to buy a whole package with many bells & whistles to get a simple thing like 3-zone air conditioner or automatic night light.

I guess since the CD player didn't have "MP3" word printed on it, then it is not compatible with MP3s.

The salesman swears the CD can play MP3 CDs (without upgrade, cd/dvd changer...etc).

#10 ·
On my '06, there is only one radio option that I see in the manual that specifically lists that it plays the MP-3 disks.
From what I saw on the '07 manual that I downloaded, yours has the same radio options.
The only one that I can see that plays MP-3 disks has DVD written on it's face.
My guess is that if you don't have the entertainment option that you can't play MP-3's.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.