DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

high mileage oil

41K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  hemi69 
#1 ·
have 03 5.7 Ram. What high mileage oil would be best?

#5 ·
I would not suggest to use a synthetic oil in a high mileage vehicle. There is a very significant chance that the detergents in the oil will cause leaks through seals or gaskets over time. Unless synthetic oil has been run through the engine since early in the vehicles life, stick with dino oil. I use castrol GTX or Valvoline High Mileage in my higher mileage vehicles. These oil will actually help seal small leaks. Just my .02.

#7 ·
Speaking from experience, I've run synthetic in a high mileage engine and it started leaking all over the place. I switched to a high mileage oil and within a matter of 6,000 miles, the leaks stopped entirely. Maybe I got lucky but the high mileage oil did the trick for me.

#8 · (Edited)
If you have run synthic from the start you will not need a highmileage oil, They dont recommend swithching to Syn after 30k, for the above stated reasons. highmileage oil have small amounts of cleaning and coditioning agents. The assumption is that a vehicle with 75k has sludge and deposits. High mileage will clean small amount of sludge and deposits from upper engine, but the effects are minimal...because the formulation is weak, so that it doesnt cause issues with engines with a large amount of deposits. If you have run syn i see zero reason to move to a syn highmileage, but if you have run convention minreal oil high mileage formulas may have a slightly benifical effect. As far as i have read the Hemi, 5.9 and 5.2 have no sludge issues with proper mant, only very few reports to sugest there is an issue with the 4.7(I doubt there is a prob). Chrsyler had major issues with sludge in the 2.7 liter 6cyl that block oil passages on the lowerend causeing oil starevation killing many Intrepids. I am a huge advocate for full syn, for many reasons, my feelings on highmileage formulations is that MAYBE it will help overall condition, the the fact that there are no real negatives, and as i have seen the price increase is very small.....so why not.
Disclamer: I am in no-way in expert on lubrication, but have read countless white-papers on the topic, many that contradict others and used my best judgement to determine the accuracy.

Oh and as far as brand, stick with the brand you have been using but move to high Mile. The base minreal oil is very close to the same in the national brands, and most off brands are just repackaged form the major 5 players.

#11 ·
i like pennzoil. but if you ask 5 guys for an opinion on oil, chances are youll get 5 different answers. might have to do your own research to determine which is best for you.

#13 ·
I put the Castrol high mileage in mine last , It was on sale & ended up being cheaper them most others. My mechanic said that there was no need. the motor has been taken care of regular oil changes ect. I've put in dino & syn both with no trouble..

#15 ·
oil is oil in my opinion. i'm not no expert in this field but just use what works for you and what your pockets can afford at the time for your oil change. all the major brands says that their oil is better than the other one because they want you to buy their product. just use what you want and change it at an regular basis. i always used royal purple oils because i like it and change my oil every 6,000 to 6,500 miles in my truck. yea i know the sh*t isn't cheap but i just like that certain brand of oil. just my 2 cents. but good luck though.

#16 ·
As long as you aren't drag racing every weekend and the engine isn't abused, any oil with an API rating of SL,SJ, or most preferred SM, will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.