DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaking Coolant, Constantly!

19K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  rye 
#1 · (Edited)
So I bring the truck to the garage because the truck is pissing coolant about a month and a half ago (November 15th or so). Now, I tell them I need my Timing Chain Cover Gasket fixed, because that's where it's leaking from...after buttloads of research this was my conclusion. It even says this on my receipt, "Customer blew timing chain gasket --- was water pump, replaced water pump". Btw, they charged me $188 for the pump, and the total cost for repairs was $570.

So I get a call from the dealership (my mistake for bringing it there I suppose), and they say they have it up on the hoist and it's the water pump that's leaking. I said, are you sure?? Because that's a little more expensive than just a timing chain cover gasket.... they're like yes we're sure. And it's going to cost $570 to fix it... WOW. Yay for me, I have no other form of transportation and need the truck that night to drive the wife to work...so I say f it, go ahead and fix it then because I need it working. So they "fix" it. A week or two later, I have a small leak of antifreeze and called them to make an appointment, which they couldn't get me in for another week, by then, the leak had stopped so I thought nothing of it.

Skip ahead a month and a half.

Last night, the wife is driving home from the store in the middle of the country and the truck almost overheats...she noticed a hissing sound and the thermostat needle rising on the gauge cluster...so she pulled over before it gets in the red and sure enough...the truck is pissing coolant again! Guess from where, the timing chain cover gasket! Now I'm no expert...so I will accompany a few photographs and see if you guys can identify the leak, so when I go in there tomorrow morning I'll have a better idea of what's going on here.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I will say this kudos to your wife for knowing to pull over I know mine would have ran my shit till the thing quit.

#4 ·
I don't know if the timin cover gasket would leak antifreeze, pretty sure it's full of oil. Maybe there's a crack in your lower rad hose, or the stealership did a shitty job.

#5 ·
i don't think your timing cover would have anything to do with it. I would think its colant running down over it, check the weap hole at the bottom of the water pump or the flanges where it meets the block. Try moving your fan up and down or side to side if it moves your bearing in your water pump is done. its not that uncommon to get a faulty pump.

#6 ·
Alright, thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to take it in first thing tomorrow morning and see what they say.

And yeah, she's a good wife!

#7 ·
Coolant does pass thru the upper portion of the timing cover from pump to block. The water pump I believe even shares some of the bolts that bolt thru the water pump and timing cover to the engine block..the timing cover is sandwiched between the pump and engine block. The labor is expensive part on that job. The water pump and many/all accessories must come off to replace that gasket + the crank balancer and that has a seal too and the oil pan also bolts to the bottom of the cover. Possible though maybe a few loose bolts causing the leak ?? Get a quote before agreeing to anything. If they have to do the full job and it has the original timing chain(not sure on your mileage) your right there looking at it during the gasket replacement so might as well do it too. A regular shop is going to be cheaper than the dealer on labor. Good luck.

Edit: Just seen your a 5.9 engine and not a hemi. Might not need to drop as many accessories but will probably have to drop the oil pan

#8 ·
My main concern is, I already spent $570 on parts and labour to "fix" this exact leak in November....so they best not be charging me again or I'm going to be a little bit upset. If it is the timing chain cover gasket and I specifically asked them to fix it when I brought it in last time, I would hope they help me out here...

If it's something different, then why wasn't that addressed when they originally fixed it? Especially if it's going to piss out the $80 worth of dealership coolant they charged me for.

I'm hoping it's actually just a faulty pump so I can just get it fixed and get it back so I can fix the friggin differential which also has sprung a leak! :D

#9 ·
I have the same year and same motor and had the same leak about a month ago. I went to my local garage who I trust. He said it was likely coming from the timing chain cover. due to the labor intensive job he wanted to try Bars leak stop first. it has held so far. if it starts leaking again we'll revisit the idea of fixing it for real.
but you have a real gripe with the dealership. i'd go in there on the war path

#11 ·
Tried every kind of stop leak out there.... no good. I'm betting the water pump was at least half of the problem but I have no idea since it looks like the same leak to me.... at least they hooked me up and helped me out.

#10 ·
So it's the timing chain cover gasket, and kudos to the Dodge dealership for actually taking care of me, they hooked me up with a temporary mini-van while it gets fixed, and are only charging me for the parts, no labour.

Oh, I'm also getting the rear differential rebuilt because it pretty much blew up on the way there!! LoLL!!!! The only thing left to blow up now is the transfer case....maybe I should do some preventative maintenence on that when I get the truck back!

This thing couldn't be more of a money pit... but I still love my Ram somehow....I love it when I drive through the snow in 4x4 past BMWs and more expensive vehicles....but I don't love it when it leaks and blows shit up all the time. Ah....vehicles.

#12 ·
Glad to hear they are treating you well!!:cheers:

#13 ·
So the rear end isn't completely screwed, and can you believe the dealership actually told me this, and told me I only needed the new bearings and seals?? I was weary about trusting them but damn... they are really earning my trust. If anyone is looking for a good dealership that won't dink you around in Norfolk County Ontario, give me a PM.

So my parts now will include a timing chain cover, and while they're in there I'm getting a timing chain put on, might as well...it's never been replaced as far as I know and I'm at about 250k km's now, and a new water pump and gasket. Hopefully this will fix my coolant leaks! Hoping that there's no internal engine damage at this point....if there is.....well, I guess I'm parking it and saving up for a crate motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.