DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Napa High Performance Rotor & Pads

12K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  MJB8 
#1 ·
Getting ready to do a front brake replacement, upgrade. After reading many threads on what to use I decided to buy local and go with Napa High Performance drilled, slotted and coated rotors. The pads I choose were Napa Ultra Premium Pads. It appears that they are all rebranded Raybestos parts.

Some notes on the rotors. From my local Napa dealer manager, who is a high school buddy.

Rotors are guaranteed for life, not for wear but workmanship which he told me includes WARPAGE. The rotor box does say "made in china" unfortunately.

Pads are guaranteed for life including wear out and simply bring in a worn out set that have no problems other than worn and will get a free replacement. He did note that a severely uneven wear will not be honored as it would show a caliper issue.

Rotors list for $144 each and I paid $107 pads list for $90.00 and I paid $65.00

http://www.napabrakes.com/wps/porta.../General/napa_brakes/Rotors/High+Performance/

See less See more
#3 ·
When putting the 22" on the front pads looked pretty thin and the D on 22" could use a bit more braking grab.

OK ......they look good through the rotors to....

#5 ·
Yes

#6 ·
#7 ·
#8 ·
Doing the fronts only then, don't forget to at least check the rears.

#9 ·
When I put the rims on the rear had a good 1/4" plus of pad left.

#10 · (Edited)
Well after 2 weeks waiting for the G2 Caliper Paint to come in as well as FREE time. The Calipers ,Pads and Rotors are all on. Flushed all the old fluid out and time to bed in the pads.

#11 ·
Well anyone looking to do a brake upgrade I would highly recommend considering your local NAPA. The High Performance drilled and slotted rotors with their Ultra Premium pads do and awesome job of stopping the Durango. While I just did the front so far the increase in stopping power is noticeable right off the bat and after 4-500 miles should be even better.

The upgrade went very smooth and with just over 100 miles there is no vibration or squeals at all.

Again a note my local Napa dealer who I do much business with both personal and from my employer looked into the warranty facts and the rotors are guaranteed for life against defects (WARPING) and the pads are replaced free when they wear out (must be and even wear out and no signs of a stuck caliper) So for a few more dollars these should be the last rotors and pads I pay for.

#13 ·
Just playing devils advocate here: Cross drilled rotors do NOTHING but thin your wallet, and increase the likelihood of a cracked rotor.
When you drill through the rotor, there is no way to chamfer the internal face of the bore, and stress cracks can and will propagate.
the drilled rotors were born of the time of organic pads which had a propensity to out gas - any compounds made today do not need the cross drill.

#14 ·
I'll keep an eye on them. I chose to purchase them after many good reviews on several dodge forums, the brand name, the cost as well as the warranty aspect.

The drilled holes do offer slightly better cooling which would translate into a lower attained maximum tempature and isnt it the high heat then cold that results in cracks? So by limiting the range of hot to cold there should be less warping and cracks?

high performance rotors
NAPA Brakes High Performance rotors are engineered for the highest performance and designed to give the best in looks for many diverse applications.

Featuring drilled and slotted construction, NAPA Brakes High Performance rotors deliver maximum air circulation for increased cooling and reduced brake fade; that equals consistent braking performance, stop after stop. In addition NAPA Brakes High Performance rotors feature the following attributes:

QC 100™ Venting keeps each NAPA Brakes High Performance rotor as cool as the original. NAPA Brakes starts by matching the cooling vane configuration of the original rotor and then duplicates the design for a 100% match of the original. Cooling vanes do more than manage temperature – they also reduce noise and limit vibration.

Level EQ™ Sound Reducing Technology helps maintain an Equivalent Continuous Sound Level when braking. For many high noise applications, NAPA Brakes High Performance rotors are cast from damped iron – an alloy that is metallurgically formulated to retain longer, thicker flakes of carbon that disrupt vibration and suppress noise.

Onyx Guard™ corrosion resistant coating protects both the hats and edges of rotors. Before leaving the factory, each rotor is subjected to a salt spray test that is roughly equal to 18 Southern Michigan winter months. This helps to prevent unsightly rust and corrosion. Many of today’s newer vehicle and Aftermarket wheels feature designs that have a lot of open space – this coating keeps rotors looking good, year after year.

#15 ·
Timely information. I need to do my fronts, again. Had them done about 25k ago and they're shot, again. I tow too much and standard pads/rotors just don't last.

A couple ?'s. How hard is it to paint the calipers? AKA, do I need to take a lot of parts off them, or is it a tape and paint job? Also, what's with the SRT on your calipers? Looks sweet.

#16 ·
Cleaning the Parts isnt to bad. I took it the car wash and really blasted them through the openings on the wheels. Saturday when I did them I started with removing the brake pads and rotors. I then replaced the calipers with 1 bolt and wire brushed them as well a few soakings of NON chlorinated brake cleaner. You have to remove the caliper mounting brackets to pull the rotors so they could be cleaned on work bench as well. The G2 paint requires the temperature of 56 -70 F that’s important. It takes about 10 minutes to hand paint one and then on to the next. You recoat in 15 minutes and 3 coats is preferred. Don’t touch for 2 -6 hours and don’t drive for 24 hours. The SRT decals are an EBay purchase 4 for $10.00 and are specially made for caliper use. Time will tell. FYI 3 days later they are still on.

#17 ·
i used to work for napa and because of that thats where i will buy my parts i just like them

#18 ·
How about a linkee for the decals! Are there others, i.e 'brembo' for my other 'ride ?

#19 ·
#20 ·
They DO NOT increase cooling, the fact is they reduce it in two different modes. One is the reduced mass that can store the heat. The other is that the cooling comes from a low pressure developed at the hub due to vanes built into the rotor. The holes actually disrupt the compressor (fan actually) action that draws the air from the hub to the edge.

Believe me, the cross drilling is PURE MARKETING. Reduced mass, reduced cooling.

But, whatever floats your boat.....

#21 ·
I don't know....I have 74k miles now, still on original factory rotors and pads...I believe I have about another 5 to 8k miles left. I have been very pleased with the longevity of these factory brakes as well as the stopping power. I plan on doing my brake job with oem replacement rotors and pads for this reason...Any reason I shouldn't?
:dunno:

#22 ·
It would be a good choice to keep OEMS as they stop and are quite on many D's, some DT members have nothing but warpage problems though.

BUT

There are better pads that stop much better, & have less dust.

There are better rotors that cost less, dont rust and stop better.

With 76K I'm betting your fronts have been changed at least once unless you do all highway and I mean all highway. With 95k my fronts was done with its second set of Dodge pads, the rears had new dodge pads at 78k.

If you rotors are fine and not worn or warped i good set of pads is all you need. I measured my rear rotors now with 97k when I upgraded and they have no cracks and still have plenty of metal left.

#24 ·
I can say after a few thousand miles and having the boat on the back it stops like I never thought it could. I jacked up on purpose Sunday while towing the boat, fully packed and 42 gallons of gas in the tank and I was shocked how well it stops. It felt better with the boat and 22's than it ever did with just the factory brakes and wheels.

FYI the boat weights close to 3300 loaded and has no brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.