DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you check the transmission fluid?

58K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  LPGHemi 
#1 ·
I read the book and it says to check it at operating temp in neutral. I changed the fluid and filters the other day, put 5 1/2 quarts back in (2 wd) drove it around town (about 30 miles)and checked it idling in neutral and it was at the top of the cold line. I put another quart in and it put it just over the full cold line. Well I decide to wait and check it cold, the truck has sat for 2 days and now its at the top of the hot line. I dont know if I have too much fluid in it or not enough.

#2 ·
#4 ·
2.5 south of Macon and you are past me because Im 1.5 in Albany. Where are you located? Also go add/update your profile info.

#6 ·
We're still planning to go to Macon. We'll be passing through Moultrie on the way.

As for the tranny fluid, "full-hot" after sitting for two days is too much. My tranny took right at seven quarts after a drop 'n' drain. I let it drain a long time, though. Tranny fluid is supposed to be checked at operating temperature.

While stopped, put it in drive for two seconds, then reverse for two seconds (doubt if the timing is all that critical). You should use a StarScan tool, but only the dealers have those pretty much. Just be sure the tranny is hot. Put it in park (engine running) and check the level.

If you add fluid wait AT LEAST two minutes for it to drain from the fill tube.

#7 ·
We're still planning to go to Macon. We'll be passing through Moultrie on the way.

As for the tranny fluid, "full-hot" after sitting for two days is too much. My tranny took right at seven quarts after a drop 'n' drain. I let it drain a long time, though. Tranny fluid is supposed to be checked at operating temperature.

While stopped, put it in drive for two seconds, then reverse for two seconds (doubt if the timing is all that critical). You should use a StarScan tool, but only the dealers have those pretty much. Just be sure the tranny is hot. Put it in park (engine running) and check the level.

If you add fluid wait AT LEAST two minutes for it to drain from the fill tube.
It needs to be checked in NEUTRAL with the engine running.

#9 ·
If that is what the shop manual says, it is a testament to poor quality control, because the dipstick on my transmission says to check while idling in neutral.

The dipstick says check in neutral. My owners manual says to check in park. Dealer said owners manual was incorrect, check in neutral. Now you say shop manual says check in park. :ugh

#10 ·
My book says to check it in neutral at normal operating temp after app 15 miles of driving and it should be in the hot range. I filled it to the bottom line while hot in neutral. It took 7 quarts but I let it drain for about 2 hours. Its running fine and I stopped by the dealer and asked them. They said I should be fine where its at.

#13 ·
x2

#14 ·
I think the biggest thing with this check, is as MikeHTally says.
Wait at least 2 minutes for the fluid to drain from the fill tube.
I waited at least 5, before I could get a consistent reading on my auto fluid level.

Plus, all this check in Park and check in neutral, really is a pain.:ugh
Both the manual and on the stick say different things.........WTF???:STY:

I think the transmission pump is running when in park or drive, but not when in neutral.
I wonder if this is the reason why we should check the fluid levels, a certain way??:popcorn:

Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.