DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

8K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  ..stiffler.. 
#1 ·
Well we got our first 2013 Ram in the shop today and I have to say their are some nice things but also somethings I wouldn't want.

And this is one of them...

Fully Electric Steering

Another thing that is cool is the Air ride adjustable height that can be altered;)

Have to say I like the interior changes

Whats you opinion on the new changes. What about those active grille shutters that could malfunction and stay close possibly causing your truck to overheat?:IDEA:

See less See more
#2 ·
We have about 5 new 2013's on our lot. We got a Laramie in and I had to put in a new left rear glass. It was warped really bad from the factory. The new projector head lights are pretty weird looking but I like that new feature. Also the new instrument cluster and center stack control screen is neat too.

#3 ·
i have a 2013 sport crew cab 4x4 with the 6 speed trans i got it before they all come out with the knob shifter.i don't like the projector lights they are not that bright at all . the front differential i am not a fan of either .

#4 ·
I took one for a test drive a couple nights ago. I like the new power steering. Its not floaty like it is in my moms new santa fe. Im working on a possible trade in right now

#5 ·
Yea, I think the Electric power steering will be okay, not sure if I'd get the grill shutters I can see them malfunction especially if they get coated in ice and snow them may get stuck closed. The air suspension is a good idea, but something I can see breaking down the road.

#6 ·
I like all the changes to the 2013s. They have addressed all the shortcomings of the 09 to 12 MY.

#7 ·
funny, after looking our new 2013 models over i was really glad that i ordered my r/t in 12 and didnt wait. I do all of the steering and suspension repairs at my dealer and i expect we will be running into a few new issues as yall spoke of so far before getting all the kinks worked out.. i guess we will see.

#8 ·
My Fiat has electric steering and I like the precise and tight feeling. The Ram is alot heavier but should feel the same.

#9 ·
Hell I wish I could convert my 2010 to full electric.

#10 ·
i have a feeling the electric steering will be substantially more expensive to fix down the road.
i could be wrong

#12 ·
The same thing was said about EFI, 4 speed transmissions, and power windows and locks.

#14 ·
my point was more so that i dont think i would want some of those things the first year they are offered. Like i said i work on them for a living and can almost guarantee there will be changes made between now and 14

#15 ·
In reference to the steering gear/box module whatever you want to call it lol

I looked up the prices There are 3 different options depending on your truck one for $410 another for $1200 and another for $1620

Now for the people that dont know, I work at a dealer and from a repair stance and durability I have to say alot of this stuff is strictly FIAT ideas No joke :)

I understand what they are doing and the motives behind it but for a true truck guy this is too stylish, too car like and IMO too many things that could go wrong if you use it like a truck. Of course you dont have get all the options in the book. And yes I know of a such thing called warranty but what about after warranty?

I mean honestly what other truck out their has air ride suspension that changes the height depending on what your doing? lol Or shutters on the front that close off to help at highway speeds I know their are alot of other changes too. Dont take this the wrong way lol I am impressed and a huge MOPAR/DODGE fan guy just some of this stuff, I sit there and say "I cant believe how far this brand has come" lol

In reference to what RamBOY said, I have to agree look at the first year the 6.7 came out same kinda scenario. Some of the techs cant wait to work on the air ride suspension and electric steering because they know things are going to go wrong with it.

BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU FELLOW DT MEMBERS

#18 ·
In reference to the steering gear/box module whatever you want to call it lol

I looked up the prices There are 3 different options depending on your truck one for $410 another for $1200 and another for $1620

Now for the people that dont know, I work at a dealer and from a repair stance and durability I have to say alot of this stuff is strictly FIAT ideas No joke :)

I understand what they are doing and the motives behind it but for a true truck guy this is too stylish, too car like and IMO too many things that could go wrong if you use it like a truck. Of course you dont have get all the options in the book. And yes I know of a such thing called warranty but what about after warranty?

I mean honestly what other truck out their has air ride suspension that changes the height depending on what your doing? lol Or shutters on the front that close off to help at highway speeds I know their are alot of other changes too. Dont take this the wrong way lol I am impressed and a huge MOPAR/DODGE fan guy just some of this stuff, I sit there and say "I cant believe how far this brand has come" lol

BTW HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU FELLOW DT MEMBERS
it is tech like this that has ram the most awarded vehicle for the 2013 MY. BTW FIAT ideas are what kept you employed, and have made Chrtsler the fastest growing auto company in the world.

#16 ·
I understand your concern but these technologies are not exactly new, Oldsmobile had cars in the seventies with adjustable suspension. Land Rover has been doing it for years. Electronic steering? Very common. Actually, to maximize efficiency, I see more cars moving to electronic accessories in the future, electronic water pumps, power steering, radiator fans, etc. Will they fail? Some will, but most don't. The engineering and testing needs to be outrageous today because the public wants more and more longevity in everything.

Hell, you may be right and it'll be a major maintenance problem, onlty time will tell!

#17 ·
I do understand everyone is trying to convert to electric everything mainly because that will on some accessories cause less drag on the engine providing better fuel efficiency. Like you said only time will tell. Something that I find kinda cool is that if you have the knowledge and resources is that you can alter the ride height of the trucks with the air ride suspension, How I have no idea. ;)

#21 ·
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but fully electric steering isn't exactly the safest thing in the world, not to mention illegal in most states. Same reason full hydro steering is illegal... It's most likely electric assisted.

#24 ·
Oh most definitely...it is electrical assist. It uses an electrical motor to help steer vice hydraulic fluid. The obvious advantages are the controls that are available, tied to the traction control, speed variability, less parts, greater economy. All possible with EPS.

Cost? Well you have to compare complete system to system not just the rack. Remember no pump, fluids, or lines with EPS. No annoying leaks either, which my '03 had and required to be rebuilt.

Full electronic power steering? That's next. It'll come out first on the luxury cars then migrate to everything.

#25 ·
i like the eps idea. i don't like where those plugs are in the pic. seems like something could easily be kicked up there but i guess the same would be true with hydraulic lines. all in all it seems like a much more simple solution than a hyd. pump being driven by a belt with lines, valves, fluid, exc. do you have power steering with the engine off but key on? like if you needed to turn the wheels to work on something without having to start the truck? or if the truck died while rolling down the road?

#26 ·
I LOVE mine so far! I'm seeing mixed about 17 mpg right now. Alot of the new technology people are worried about is already present in other Chrysler vehicles, not a brand new concept.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#27 ·
LOL electric steering has been out for a LONG time, in 2011 Ford put it in the F150 and hasn't had many issues arise out of it. Active shutters staying shut won't make a difference, they shut during highway speeds - obviously enough air is getting in with them shut to cool the engine. Air ride suspension, yet again around for years - been in the grand cherokee since the redesign and has proven to be reliable as well.

Will their be issues, sure their will just like anything else, but widespread failures I doubt will result from these innovations.

#28 ·
Electric power steering, drive by wire throttle, electric gear selector, Computer controlled braking = super easy full size RC truck! Talk about fun!

#29 ·
Now that sounds like an awesome idea:rck:

#30 ·
I do not approve of a $40k truck with no CD player. Just sayin'. (and I haven't put a CD in my deck in five years, at least... it's just a matter of principle ;) )

#31 ·
Had the 2012 Longhorn and traded for the 2013 Sport...love it, it's the truck I wanted last year. Steering is great and BTW, it's the same in the 2012 Challengers.

Air ride is optional and had no desire for it anyways but I trust it will be the beginning of a change in our class of trucks.

No CD OR Harddrive in the new techno trucks :) Actually didn't even notice it until I read CD as on option. The addition of the SD slot is great. The electronics are finally getting there and the interior upgrades to the materials they are using are great.

I have to get my sunroof adjusted as the front lip appears up but other than that, it's been a great purchase.

#32 ·
Wow, no CD or HDD? Damn.

#33 ·
You have to buy a separate CD changer that goes in the console. They've also made it next to impossible to swap out the factory deck for aftermarket. See the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

#34 ·
Well there's something in there storing the navigation maps. They just don't make any space available to the consumer OTHER than apps that can be downloaded. There's only a couple right now but I suspect that will grow. All updates are now over the Sat system.

I actually like the SD card thing. Small, no moving parts, cheap, etc.

The CD thing is no loss to me...haven't seen or loaded a CD in years.

You can still add an external USB device if you wanted to have that setup but I only use mine for the iPhone. There's a separate USB port just for charging so there's not need to unplug anything to get a power source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.