DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Android double din radio

9K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  d_layne 
#1 ·
Has anyone bought one of these radios? I came across a few and was curious if they were any good. I have been wanting to buy a double din for awhile now but haven't made up my mind on what I want.

It would be nice to eliminate my Superchips vivid tablet from the windshield (if it works) and I would be able to use the radio to tune the truck lol.

So yay or nay?

#2 ·
I've been thinking of getting one to. Haven't heard anything bad about them

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Me neither but I'm going to do more research before I just go and buy one.

#4 ·
What are these Android radios? Can they be also used as a Carputer along with the entertainment system?

Just wondering. I've never heard of them before and hadn't thought of running an Android OS for simply a radio device.

#5 ·
It's basically like an android tablet or phone with the same apps and games but wired into your truck.

#9 ·
Most units I've looked are are more less unbranded. They are really pricey for unbranded. It's the only reason I haven't bought one.

#7 ·
Great, now, not only will you be busy texting on the radio, we'll have to dodge people playing Angry Birds at 60mph.

The concept does intrigue me though as far as the idea of getting an Android OS offering that would do many of the functions of a Carputer and actually have it "factory installed" looking instead of having to install the PC motherboard somewhere and screen placed in the radio slot or elsewhere.

Another idea would be to have it tied into the OBD2 port and having the SuperChips Android OS tuner installed on the radio so you could run your tuning software off that.

Just how in depth and useful are these Android Radios? Would something like that even be possible?

#8 ·
The Superchips already uses a obd2 Bluetooth dongle to send info to a android device. So it would be a simple connection through Bluetooth to work.

These android radios would be just like any other 2din radio but with more usability. They come with wifi so you could tether your cell phone, download pandora and stream Internet radio all day long while traveling.

Hopefully whoever buys one has enough common sense to not play angry birds at 60 mph or text for that matter. It's not worth a life.

But it does have a lot of useful things. I mainly want to eliminate the use of my iPhone for pandora/music and eliminate the Superchips vivid tablet from my windshield. It will be one less thing I have distracting me. But maybe I can find someone who owns one so ill know what I'm buying. If I find out any info ill be posting it here.

#10 ·
Cool. Keep the info coming and any progress you make.

As for them being unbranded, I was doing a Google after reading this thread and most of the stuff I found was all from the Alibaba site, which is basically the whole entire "Made in China" clearing house. The devices they were offering were in quantities. I'd be curious to see what/when the big name stereo builders start coming out with over time.

#12 ·
I was looking at this unit again and noticed that it doesn't have a built in cd or dvd player so this is no longer a option. It's cool but not going to work

#13 ·
The one I was looking at has a DVD player. I'm not sure about playing cd's though.

#14 ·
Hmm, must of been just the one I looked at

#17 ·
Pioneer app radio 2. Works with iPhone and android. Android users can download arliberator in the play store which will mirror image (thru HDMI) of phone onto radio screen. In the process of hooking mine up now. Tired of having phone suction cupped to windshield and acting as my navigation/hands free calls/ Pandora/everything else. Best buy has them on sale again for second time in a month at $279.99. Usual price is $499.

Sent from my EVO LTE

#21 ·
Where did you find those tabs for the knob holes? I have a nav and radio bezel but would rather have my pocket under the DVD player. I can cut, fill, and paint it just can't find those tabs for the radio knobs anywhere.

#20 ·
Looks good. What unit is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.