DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much to rebuild rear end?

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  The Juice 
#1 ·
Well, I had the dreaded rear pinion seal failure. My wife thought the whirring noise was tire hum and kept on driving. I'm afraid it has blown the rear end to hades. Anyone have an idea on how much I should be expecting to pay for this on an '02 Ram 1500 9.25 LSD rear end? I'm in the Atlanta market.

Thanks!

#2 ·
That pinion seal would have had to have blown out to lose enough fluid to wreck the rear end. I would pull the plug and see how far down the fluid is. Or you can just go for it, drop the cover and look for metal shavings. A rear end is generally about a 1000 bucks depending on what is destroyed. Figure about 5 to 6 hours or more to rebuild at 90 bucks an hour, so that is about 500, then usually you will not need a ring and pinion UNLESS it was driven dry. Most of the time the pinion bearing and diff bearings will smoke first. Pull the pan and if the fluid looks grayish and it has metal in it, it is time for a rebuild. A good thing to do is this. Unhook your rear ujoint and grab the yoke and see if you can move it back and forth. If you can, the pinion bearing is gone and the diff bearing/carrier bearings are more than likely gone as well

#3 ·
I stuck my finger in and the oil was right at at hole, so it doesn't appear that much (if any) had leaked, which is strange. I even tried topping out with 75w140 and it started leaking out almost immediately. It was still relatively clear, since it had just been changed about 5k ago.

I assumed it had been leaking since I saw an oily residue all around the pinion seal and on the underside of the diff casing.

#4 ·
If you have oil in there and you hear a whining noise .. sounds to me like the LSD Clip issue like alot of people are having on top of the pinion seal leaking.
If you are the original owner you should be able to get it covered under the 7/70 as long as you arent over 70,000 miles or if you have had the rear end repaired or serviced from a dealer you might be able to play your cards right. Good luck and let us know how you made out

#5 ·
That's funny A couple of weeks ago I was looking into a rear end for my truck and was quoted 1300 installed for 4.56 here in Phoenix. This week coming back from a trip I get the wurring noise and dropped it off Monday and turns out they are replacing the rear end. Tried to get em to put different gears in but they said anything higher would require a different axle and housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.