DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how to install a cabin air filter in a 2010 ram

24K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Scotrod65 
#1 ·
i worked on a 2010 2500 ranch truck with 16k with a plugged up a/c evaporator,all the air from the blower motor passes through the evap before entering the rest of the hvac box.this one was plugged with dirt and with the moister from the evap it turned to mud causing very little air to come out the vents.there is wire mesh on the inlet of the hvac box to keep the big stuff out,but dodge does not offer a cabin air filter for the trucks.the box how ever does have the punch out location for a cabin filter.drop the glove box out and you can see the area of the hvac box were it would go,next youll need to cut the opening out,drill a couple holes and use a air saw or sharp utility knife,you can drop the blower motor out to clean out any plastic shavings,its pretty easy to see were the opening should be and cut inside the raised line.next youll need a cabin air filter #5058693AA and a lid #68052292,they fit 2010 compass,avenger,caliber ect,and are a exact fit for the ram box....took me awhile to figure this out,i think they will fit the 1500 also,but havent confirmed this.slide the filter in and pop the lid on.iits a big job,aprox 7-8 hours book time to r&r the hvac housing and clean the evaporator out,so for about $35 in parts and a hour of time youll save hundred of dollars if you run your truck in dusty conditions
sorry no pics

#2 ·
Sounds like a good mod! I have also heard of guys getting an hvac filter for a house, trimming that down and using that as a cabin filter.

Good find!

#3 ·
ill have to do this to my dads. he works out in the oil field

#7 ·
You can check mine out after I do it. Parts are on order.. Its simple, I did this to my 09 1500. I used a exact-o knife and 2 screws, no shavings or mess.

#5 ·
Also, a search for part #68052292 came up with negative results...

#6 ·
FWIW, google 'cab fresh filter company'.

They make a filter housing with media that attachs over the air intake 'grill' on the firewall located just under the trailing edge of your hood.

3rd Gen dodge part available online, 4th gen 1500 part available from cab fresh.

I paid about 60 bucks w/shipping and was done installing in about 10 minutes.

Replacement media is another 17 bucks. 2 layers of polyester 'filter' and 1 of charcoal.

The 'poly' media is not effective as paper when it comes to pollen, fine dust, etc, but it's a lot better than NOTHING,,,,

I REALLY like the idea listed above, but I'd want the parts 'in hand' before I cut up the system!

#15 ·
The lid was under 11 bucks when I priced it at the dealer this AM,,,

I was hoping to get one elsewhere quicker, but no luck,,,, I guess I'll 'wait in line'.

Once I get the lid, I'm sure I can figure it out from there,,, I assume the cut out is basically just big enough to insert/remove filter.

#18 ·
its all made for the filter they just didnt cut out the hole,more than likely it would have been cheaper to make one recirc box with the cut out for everything and just run the lid rather then making two different parts but im no chrysler bean counter

#19 ·
Do you have to remove the glove box to view the area? If so is it the upper or lower glove box?

#22 ·
you need to remove lower glove box. cut mine out today,need to order parts monday from dealer. very easy!!!!!
I'm gonna hold off on cutting mine in until I have the lid in-hand,,,

My dealer said there are none at any of the Houston area dealers and they are on back order as well,,,

I did pick up a cabin air filter today,,, Its a Purolater C25869, kind of a cheesy looking filter, and its rather small,,, about 8 inches square,,, smaller in size than the wifes Accord CAF or my old Silverado's CAF.

Other filter part numbers:

Hastings HAAF1328 or Wix 24578

#28 ·
Someone REALLY needs to do a write up on this with pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.