DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anybody see this, Reveal of 2013 HDs....

9K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  nickb304 
#1 ·
In two days at the Texas State fair.

Linky

Carl, looks like you are in for a treat when you order yours.

#3 ·
I figured it would be Texas.......

#5 ·
LOL- did you expect it to be in Canada? Texas is truck country.

#4 ·
#8 ·
Pickuptrucks.com has posted some info on the 2013s HDs. The short of it:
1) No new 6.4 Hemi, but the 5.7 is now offered with the 3500s with the 66RFE.
2) The Cummins/6 speed manual combo is now rated for 350/660
3) The Cummins/68RFE combo is rated for 370/800
4) The biggest news is that Aisin now has a stronger 6 speed called the AS69RC. That combo with the Cummins is rated for 385/850!
6) Bigger stronger frame.
7) Cummins now uses Urea.
8) Revised suspension geometry and new stronger axels, which will lead to best Towing/Payload.

But the rest of the info is just the usual mid-cycle update stuff. Better NVH, Interior Materials, Technology.

Link to Pickuptrucks.com article.

#10 ·
Interesting read. I don't see anything that makes me wish I would have waited another year or so for my Power Wagon, but there are some nice touches to the new HD's.

#9 ·
So Carl, what engine are you going to get?:D

Sorry, I'm living vicariously through you. I won't be able to afford a new truck for a few years:(

#14 ·
Go big or go home LOL

#16 ·

#22 ·
The BIG HEMI was/has always been slated to come in the 2012 MY ...

The 5.7l will be dropped from the 2500/3500 trucks when this happens and be a dedicated 1500 engine.

I was just hoping that we would at least get some news about it...

#23 ·
What? We are already in the MY2013. Don't count on the 6.4 EVER going into a pickup....

#24 ·
Carl in news & rumors there was an insider said a 6.4 will happen in a truck. I figured then he meant MY14. He did not specify 1/2 ton or HD. I won't haul heavy or often like you so it would be great for my use and if the 3.0 turbo diesel comes it would be worth a look also for the fuel economy aspect. Naturally it could happen that we dont get either in which case I would be mad at myself for not ordering an 8 speed Hemi.

#25 ·
Ralph shitcanned the 6.4 in a Ram last year. There was a big article about it but I can't find it right now.

#26 ·
Here's an article I did find on why the Ram won't have the 6.4, its not designed for it

Chrysler’s upcoming 6.4-liter V-8 gasoline engine will only be available for the company’s high-performance SRT vehicles and not Ram Heavy Duty pickup trucks unless substantial changes can be made, execs say.

“I’d love to have a 6.4-liter engine [for trucks],” said Joe Veltri, Chrysler vice president of product planning, at the 2010 NTEA Work Truck Show. “But it’s designed for performance, not low-end torque. It’s designed for off-the-line 0-to-60 times.”

The 6.4-liter V-8 was officially confirmed last year at Chrysler’s 2010-14 business plan presentation after earlier rumors about the engine’s development.

Fred Diaz, president and CEO of the Ram brand, said then that Ram Heavy Duty pickups could receive the engine.

"We anticipate the 6.4-liter engine will go into the Heavy Duty Ram," Diaz said then. "It's an appropriate engine for our trucks."

But engineering challenges appear to have stymied the effort.

“We’ve talked to the powertrain guys,” Veltri said. “It’s a struggle to recrank that engine to make it a truck engine.”

Still, Chrysler does see demand for a gas engine with more power than the current 383 horsepower, 400 pounds-feet of torque 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 that’s available in current Ram Heavy Duty pickups.

Veltri said the engine mix in the heavy-duty segment between gasoline and diesel engines has shifted from 75 percent diesel/25 percent gas to 70/30 today and that it’s likely to shift as far as 60/40 in the future.

“Every emission cycle is going to cause the price of the [diesel] trucks to go up,” Veltri said. “That’s why you’re seeing that shift. Diesel engines have gotten very expensive -- $8,000 and going north.”

His answer?

“I’ve got a 5.7-liter Hemi that I could certainly bore and stroke out” for better power and lower cost than a diesel, though it wouldn’t be as capable.

#28 ·
it’s designed for performance, not low-end torque. It’s designed for off-the-line 0-to-60 times.

#30 ·
Sounds like a 3500 with a CTD and Aisin 6 speed is the truck to have. Question is, will that combo ne offered in the SRW Configuration?

#31 ·
Sweet! We ordered 3,000 new Ram trucks..and well its a roll out over a couple years as that's a large order. So odds are I'll be checking out the 13's once they start rolling out.

#32 ·
Carl, I'm not trying to be argumentative. :) I am trying to make you think. And to see if there actually is something mechanical that backs up this notion of a hard parts high rpm horsepower non low end torque type motor.

What specifically is designed strictly for horsepower and not low end torque? Outside of a camshaft, programing & calibrations ie timing, fuel maps, shift points? Any hard parts designed specifically as a HP engine ie massive runners in the heads that require velocity from rpm & cam profiles? An intake setup specifically for HP? A Hugh bore to stroke ratio?

Because I think you are confusing it with the 6.1.

5.7 has a bore to stroke of 3.92 x 3.58 with a ratio of 1.09
6.1 has a bore to stroke of 4.055 x 3.58 with a ratio of 1.13
6.4 has a bore to stroke of 4.055 x 3.795 with a ratio of 1.06

Bore to stroke is not the most significant factor but the smaller ratio of the 6.4 to the 5.7 bodes well for the 6.4 bringing more torque in sooner in the rpm range than the 5.7. (not looking at any other factors including displacement)

I suspect its all or mostly in relatively low cost & easily changeable parameters & possibly to a lesser degree camshaft profiles.

Even regular 5.7 to SRT 6.4 doesn't show a hugh bias change.

5.7 395 HP & 407 TQ
6.4 470 HP & 470 TQ

Its not like an angry bumble bee 4 cylinder that makes hugh HP to displacement in the upper rpms ranges and terrible torque in the lower rpm ranges. There was a moderate HP bias on the pre 08 5.7 Hemis & and the 6.1s.

Slim was your old Hemi a pre 09?

#33 ·
I am only reposting what the Ram engineers that DESIGNED the engine said. Its their call, not mine LOL

#34 ·
I was sure when Ford brought out their 6.2L V-8 we would see a bigger Hemi. While my truck doesn't lack for power when it comes to my needs, I can see the want for a bigger motor. I also think all HD Hemi's should come with 4.10 gears unless you go Power Wagon. The biggest complaint I had about my 2004 was the 3.73 gears and the way the truck would hunt for the right gear ( 35" tires may have had a bit to do with that ).

#35 ·
I don't understand why the engineers would say the 6.4 is a high revving power'd engine , what do they think the 5.7 is? You need to rev the piss out of it to make power for towing/hauling. There is no way the 6.4 has lower low end torque than the current 5.7.

Both Fords 6.2 and GM's new V8s due out will force something new from Dodge/Ram. Which is part of why I don't believe they aren't working on a 5.7 replacement.

#37 ·
I'm going to point out that in the last few months several Chrysler informants who are members at Allpar have stated that a 6.4 is coming to the HD and C&C Rams.

It won't be the same 6.4 that is in the SRTs. I'm guessing it will have approx 430HP and 450ftlbs to compete with the Ford 6.8V10 in their larger trucks.

#38 ·
Are those the same informants that said all the stuff we just got for the 2013 HD weren't coming out till 2014?

#39 ·
2014 ... not 2012 :SPIN: ..miss typed... The new Bigger HEMI has always been slated to arrive in 2014!

You will see a bigger ALL NEW gas motor come out in the RAM 2500-3500 trucks in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.