DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

46RE Rebuild, No Forward gears

24K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  RamThis 
#1 ·
I just completed the rebuild of my 46RE in 96 Ram 1500 Indy. Everything seemed to go okay with the rebuild/reinstall. However, I have no forward gears, reverse works great. Fluid levels are good. Any suggestions of what to check next?

#3 ·
Drop the VB and air check the forward clutch. Also, make sure the VB manual valve is engaged to the" rooster comb" properly.

#6 ·
Sorry everybody i was out of town for a few days. I just got home dropped the valve body, checked the rooster cob, and air tested the front servo. The rooster cob is seated properly and the servo moved with the air pressure.:huh: Any suggustions would be appreciated.

#7 ·
Your not air checking the servo,you need to check the FORWARD CLUTCH.

#9 ·
Well,it definitely has to come back out.

#12 · (Edited)
It is hard to say,broken sealing ring,torn missing lip seal.

NO DRIVE RANGE (REVERSE OK)
1. Fluid Level Low. 1. Add fluid and check for leaks if drive is restored.
2. Gearshift Linkage/Cable Loose/Misadjusted. 2. Repair or replace linkage components.
3. Rear Clutch Burnt. 3. Remove and disassemble transmission and rear clutch and seals. Repair/replace worn or damaged parts as needed.
4. Valve Body Malfunction. 4. Remove and disassemble valve body. Replace assembly if any valves or bores are damaged.
5. Transmission Overrunning Clutch Broken. 5. Remove and disassemble transmission. Replace overrunning clutch.
6. Input Shaft Seal Rings Worn/Damaged. 6. Remove and disassemble transmission. Replace seal rings and any other worn or damaged parts.
7. Front Planetary Failed Broken. 7. Remove and repair.

#14 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know what i found. It turns out that i installed the front clutch piston backwards ( idiot move i know ) i thought when i was testing it i felt some movement in there but i guess not. However i was able to turn this negative into a positive. I took the opportunity to do several upgrades i installed a shift kit, aluminium accumulator piston, 3.8 kickdown lever, heavy duty band strut, 4 gear rear planetary, upgraded overdrive clutch pack, and replaced the overdrive piston spacer to accomodate the extra clutch pack. I reinstalled the transmission today and it works great! :D Thanks everybody for all the help.

#15 ·
Good job most folks are scared of the trans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.