DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

custom turbo 318 project!!

42K views 268 replies 21 participants last post by  little_yellow 
#1 ·
so as some of you know i am currently in the process of making a custom turbo kit for my 1996 regular cab short box 318. i am going to be running low boost, probably around 6 pounds.
i have 42LB injectors 4 2.5" U bends, 4 3" U" bends, turbosmart comp-gate 40 wastegate, tial knock off blow off valve, voo-doo manual boost controller, AEM A/F, boost, EGT, trans temp gauges, AFE filter, MSD 6-BTM ignition MSD super conductor wires, 2nd gen cummins intercooler, all vibrant intercooler couplers, fuel pressure gauge, vacuum distribution block, and CX racing braided oil feed and return lines.
im sure there are a few things that i have missed but thats the main things.
i realize that with my boost levels a EGT isnt really necessary but i wanted it just in case.
and the main component of the whole system a H1C turbo.

i started work on it tonight. cut the exhaust off. tried swapping sides of headers.
passengers side goes on perfect with the factory coil and mount out of the way.
but the drivers side has the power steering in the way.
so im hoping once i get to the shop i can either cut it and angle it out a little more or just bend them a little so that they fit.
i can flip them but then i need to cut the center pieces that hold the header flange together to clear the spark plugs and once again modify the drivers side just a slight bit to clear the power steering.
but i really like how it looks with the collectors pointing down rather then up. and that way i only really need to work on one header rather then 2.

also got my vacuum distribution bar on and my fuel pressure gauge on.

everything is loaded into the truck and really to go first thing in the morning.
had the truck running for a minute or so with the exhaust off, just headers, its obviously way way to loud lol but the cam sounds amazing with them that short.
hoping to have exhaust done tomorrow and the turbo mounted in. then i can do the intercooler pipes on sunday. truck doesnt get tuned for another week so i wont be hooking up the intercooler pipes.
not looking for insane amounts of power. but a good 50-75 hp increase and that amazing turbo sound.

yes the engine is is dirty....i get it lol

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
well im getting ready to head down as we speak. probably wont have an update till late tonight.
see how mad i make my neighbors firing this thing up lol

#6 ·
no video....sorry guys. will take one tomorrow morning before i head out to finish the exhaust. was a very long day and didnt get close to as much done as i wanted to.
so the headers couldnt be flipped. passengers side was fine. would have bolted up with no issues. but the drives basically needed a whole new header made.
so i left them the regular way and re made exhaust to bend back around and up front. had a few tight bends. the u bends helped out so much.
so the whole inlet part is done. oil lines are ran and checked. need to test pressure tomorrow and make sure im not over oiling it.
also need to make a mount to stabilize the turbo. alot of weight to be just hanging on the pipe. so make mounts and reconnect the turbo to the original exhaust, along with mount the wastegate.
so lots lol. and make intercooler pipes.
got a few pictures. sorry i didnt get very good ones when i had the whole pipe out welding it. was a busy day lol. ill get some more tomorrow when its back up on the hoist.

im no welder......just know that when your looking at these lol
pipe that is joined with a v-band at the front will be wrapped with header wrap, clean it up make it look like i knew what i was doing lol
also need a new coolant overflow. built it a little close so the filter takes up the space

Attachments

#8 ·
well i finished off the exhaust today. got the wastegate in and wrapped my one section of exhaust.
can barely hear the turbo. going to be changing the exhaust later on. probably take out the duals and go single 3" all the way back to the tips with a different muffler.
very quite now. has a few exhaust leaks and pin holes that need to be fixed but in time that will all come together.
no videos yet. will get some cruising videos soon. maybe one right away just to get the sound out there for ya all to hear
got a ton more pictures also. better ones of under and the mess of down pipes lol

Attachments

#9 ·
tolerances are very close for everything lol.
but nothing is touching.
and i need a new coolant over flow...

Attachments

#10 ·
If you want to hear the turbo, ditch the muffler, and make sure the silencer ring is out of it. hx's will scream.

Hows it feel on power? And you shouldn't have to spend anytime breaking it in, unless you added motor parts too.

#11 ·
Man, looks like a lot of work! But should be well worth it if it all comes together right. Would be interesting to see some dyno#s.

#14 ·
no extra power. intercooler tubes have yet to be built.
i would like to know how it would sound without a muffler. i dont want alot of snap or it to be really loud.
and i have the H1C. no silencer ring in it.
dyno numbers will be here in another week
it was a fair amount of work but it was fun to do it. would i do it again........lol

#16 ·
Dangit now you're going to get all the views.

#17 ·
ill be building one pipe tomorrow. i have been taking it easy. no baggin on it or anything.
i would have started building pipes but i ran out of 3 inch bends. still have a 5' chunk of 3.

will be making single 3 inch all the way to the back soon. its just way way too quiet.
sounds stock. just cant have that lol
whats a good option for a muffler? something that will give me a grumble but still have some volume to it and a slight amount of snap in the high end. i dont want it super loud. about the same as it was before the turbo.

prototype-maybe you should get a running video before me lol.ill wait for you....lol

#18 · (Edited)
You'll never get it to sound the same before/after turbo, except maybe at an idle, depending on turbo. Once you start moving any kind of air, it'll change the sound, and the turbo itself will act as a muffler. If I didn't a muffler, I'd just do a super 44, or something else in that range. Not too quiet, not too loud. And you don't want to restrict exhaust. Back pressure/Drive pressure is your worst enemy with boosted motors.

How extreme is your cam? Lopey? I'd run no muffler or anything at all, until you decide how you like it.

Also, make extra sure you aren't running too lean. My friend melted 2 pistons down. Here's my buddy's LS with my old turbo on it, no muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FbjH5Qfh5g

Melted pistons on this run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2p3-BQzOmQ

I really miss that car. Stupid amount of power, and almost instant.

#19 ·
well without the ic piping on there is no boost so my a/f should be the exact same as before. my new wideband is in tonight and it seems right at 14-15 at idle havent driven yet. couple revs and it seems good.
i think i may straight pipe it tomorrow and see how i like it. i will have a few more u-bends coming and i should have enough straight to make it to the back.
that car does sound good but it sounds a little loud. ill see what i find with straight. then i can decide. might just go with something like the dynomax race muffler. little quieter but still sounds good and next to nothing for back pressure.

#20 ·
#21 ·
i was thinking that. or a purple horney.....there on sale right now lol. as long as i get a sticker!
im gonna try to straight pipe it this week and see how it sounds then ill go from there
built one intercooler pipe today. will work on the other if i get time tomorrow.

#22 ·
Im the first to admit I know next to nothing about turbos or boost but this is an awesome build so far!!!

I was even joking with a friend of mine about supercharging my hemi once it's in so I can beat his ford lightning but that's not going to happen......... For awhile at least!! ;) lol

#23 ·
thanks. its taking longer then i had planned but its all coming together.
have both my intercooler pipes made. there just tacked for now. will weld them up tomorrow night hopefully then start grinding the welds smooth and painting them black.
then i can get my blow off valve hooked up and start playing with that lol.

#24 ·
Looking good man!

#26 ·
the diesel without a turbo? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.