DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Button to turn off traction control?

16K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  COCharger 
#1 ·
Is it true that the Charger has a button to disable the traction control and stability control programs? If so, this would make modding the Charger quite a bit easier than the trucks so far huh?!

If it is true, then that is the best of both worlds, it's there if you want it, disableable if you don't! I love control/choices!

#2 ·
The 300c has a button on the dash, don't know about the Charger

#3 ·
Traction control and stability control aren't even on Rams, torque management on the other hand is and I am sure it can't be turned off on any of the cars or trucks. So it wouldn't affect how you mod them at all.

Andrew

#4 · (Edited)
Other than name, is there any real difference to what happens when either "Electronic Stability Program" engages as opposed to what happens when "Torque Management" engages other than "Shit Happens"?

Take a look at the Specifications page for Charger at Dodge.com and then go to "Additional Options" to see what it says about ESP.

I'm in no way saying this is true, but my speculation on how both the trucks and cars EFFECTIVELY "de-tune" the motor (a term I'm using rather than any other catch-22 popular phrase to avoid knee-jerk reactions due to terminology discrepancies) is that the computer senses wheel spin via abs brake sensors and when out of parameters sends a signal to the electronic throttle to close the throttle blade and effectively reduce power from the motor.

Whatever you or Dodge wants to call it, does the Charger have the ability to KEEP ALL ITS MOTOR'S POTENTIAL POWER UNHINDERED by pushing a button?

If the answer is true, then the Charger by DESIGN would take to engine related modifications (for the purpose of power output increase) BETTER than the trucks because inherently the Charger wouldn't have to resort to black magic spells and voodoo rituals to GET RID of "Torque Reduction"; all that would be required would be a simple touch of a button and VIOLA, instant FULL POWER OUTPUT!

A simple button push, much to George Jetson's objection, sounds A HELL OF A LOT EASIER (TO MOD) than voodoo sacrafices and endless speculative posts on the matter of bypassing the TRUCKS "Torque Management"!

WOW! Sounds kinda like "If so, this would make modding the Charger quite a bit easier than the trucks so far huh?!"....hummm...

I don't care how you get there or what you call it, but it sounds like the cars MAY (italicized for an indication of voice inflection, specifically to indicate an opinion or an uncertainty) be easier to mod than trucks. Sounds like POTENTIALLY good news!!! :bman: :bman: :bman: :bman:

Attachments

#6 ·
Well, I recently read somewhere that the button does not totally deactivate ESP, it only changes it to a more aggressive setting. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

#7 ·
You are exactly right. I was out in my fathers 300C with him a couple of weeks ago. I pressed the ESP button on the dash at a stop, dropped the slap stick into first and did a little brake torque and released and the car went sideways 2 gears and had a real nice tail spin going when all of a sudden the ESP kicked in and the car went straight and took off. I thought it must have just been a kink in his system but maybe that is the way it is supposed to be

#8 ·
[QUOTE='03 MOPAR R/T]Well, I recently read somewhere that the button does not totally deactivate ESP, it only changes it to a more aggressive setting. Can anyone confirm or deny this?[/QUOTE]

That is correct. You really have to work to get it out of shape enough to activate the ESP when the button is "off".

By all acounts that I have read, it is more difficult to "mod" the Hemi LX cars for performance than the Hemi trucks.

#9 ·
From everything I've read on the LXForum, turning on the button (shutting off ESP) only deactivates the throttle control. The traction control using the ABS brakes is still active. That gives you the ability to do burn outs if you are so inclined. But only so far until the traction control kicks in to regain traction. I have seen 30 to 40 foot burn out videos, so it can still be fun.

Another thing I have read is that if you remove fuse #17, you shut down the entire system. However, you'll end up with peg-leg one tire burn outs because the traction control is not trying to keep both wheels turning. Power dumps to the lose tire and it spins like crazy. Remember they do not have LSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.