DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010/2011/2012 1500 rear end pics?

11K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Ramjoe 
#1 ·
So I'm reading (on here) about how the 1500 2011s have a different ZF rearend versus the 2010s.

Anyone have a pic of what the ZF rearend or diff cover looks like?

Cuz my 2011 1500 sure looks like all the 9.25s I've had in the past.

Or is it just an internal different of carriers and ring/pinions etc?

I'm assuming maybe some 2011s have the 2010 style rearend, maybe that were early 2011 builds.

#3 ·
What does the ZF cover look like?

Mine has the typical 9.25 stop sign shape.

I'm assuming the ZF is totally different shape. Can't see any reason to keep the 9.25 housing and tubes but add different internals.

Or did they design a ZF axle around the 9.25 diff cover to keep us diehard 1500 guys happy? (just kidding) :D

But dodge does some whacky stuff. :D

#4 ·
Here's a pic of my ZF axle. It's weird they changed the rearend in 2011 and then changed the front diff in 2012....I don't get it.

#5 ·
Cool thanks.

Thats what mine looks like as well. Sure looks like a Chrysler 9.25 to me.

Interesting stuff. I want to get to the bottom of this.

#7 ·
Yeah i was just in the middle of googling that.

WTF. The old Chrysler 9.25 was a nice strong axle.

So now insted of asking me whats under the hood, you can ask me whats in my rear axle. :ugh

#8 ·
Here's my 2011 rear axle. I don't have the rubber plug and no recall notice either.

#10 ·
Yeah thats the old 9.25 diff cover I know and love. :D

I noticed my diff cover was a little different, but it was obviously a 9.25 axle. Never dawned on me they would change internals.

Thanks guys!

#11 ·
So if you don't have the rubber plug you have a ZF?

#12 ·
Yes, but some ZF got the rubber plug.

#13 ·
They changed them to save on $$. The 2011 Chrysler copied another company design and didn't do it right hence the bearing issue. They never put in the vent holes to - pressure there for losing oil = losing a bearing. Also were not filling the rear diffs all the way.

#17 ·
Dare I ask just how does one add diff fluid without a filler plug?

With my magic wand?

#18 ·
There's a metal plug in the back.

Actually there's 2 metal plug. One to fill and one to drain.

#25 ·
Fluid change - Drop pan?

Hi all,
Great posts of pics.. I was going to attempt to change the rear diff fluid on my 09 Ram 1500. I used to own a 2003 Ram 1500 and it was piece of cake. How does one go about this task now with the sway bar (thingy) in the way??

I would like to drop diff pan and put new permatex seal etc. Thoughts?

:gr_patrio

#30 ·
Blue,

There is no recall for the 2012 rear diffs.

#32 ·
It might just have been to a certain build period. The late 2011's and 2012's could have been fixed in the factory. I bought mine in Jan 2011 so mine is an early 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.