DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

led bars vs hid

8K views 69 replies 13 participants last post by  jasonsdakota 
#1 ·
oohhh man. ive always been a flashlight freak, but have never really invested the time to get good lighting in my truck. ive wanted to for a month or two now and just haven't pulled the trigger. what do you guys think about led bars? whats a good entry level setup that might roughly double or triple stock low beams? do you guys like spots, floods or combos when doing an led bar. most come with 3 options. are the floods too floody or just right. most of the light goes forward still right not wastefully up into the air? looking for 20-30 degree beam as opposed to 60 or 90 if that makes any sense. what bars do you guys like? 2 small, one long. tell me about your setups and help me get started. something easy to mount and wire for a non mechanically inclined person would be great.

#36 ·
See that image preview on the video that Megamouse posted on the one head light and one HID.

That is why HID suck. Annoying when you have them come at you. haha

#37 ·
not all of them are that way Mike.......take a look at this blurb, especially the last section. ;)

One of my fellow retrofitters on another forum popped this pics up, and its a GREAT way to show the time old question on lighting output and width, etc.

These were taken on a Raptor, but....H13 bulb, and same basic bowl design for the drop in kit.

- 1st pic in each series is stock lights 100% OEM

- 2nd pic is HID's in stock lights

- 3rd pic is HID's with projectors (35W kit in a Morimoto Mini H1 projector)

1st set - lows from behind - you can use the ski jumps in the back left as a reference to how wide each one is.

2nd set - lows from side

3rd set - High beam

4th set - front

#38 ·
Only problem witht eh retro solutions kits is that you ahve to tear apart your headlight to instal them. Unless I clicked the wrong link. Some people do not have the time or knowhow to install a set of projectors in their headlights, so I cnnot recommend them to anyone but those with the skills and knowhow.

#41 ·
man, i just do not want to tear apart my headlights to install projectors nor do i wanna spend $500 on a new setup complete with hid/projectors. maybe i can install something in my fogs. theyre empty, and it didnt come with fogs, any suggestions there? maybe i can buy a set of dodge fogs on ebay, then buy hids for them. i could turn them off when oncoming traffic comes like i do my high beams. hmmm.

#42 ·
Lights behind your grill...I got 4 six inch 100 watt roo lights behind mine......its like day.

#43 ·
im listening. man could i be talked into an led light bar behind the grill.

#44 ·
#47 ·
search the site for hellas behind grille. I would not use hellas as i do not like them one bit.....but it gives u an idea how it all works. I have my 4 lights behind my grille wired into my high beam headlight via relay and also have a switch in cab. When switch is on i click my high beams on and everything lights up.....when switch is off the headlights act normally.

#48 ·
#49 ·
hmmm... might need to change the thread title to hids vs dually d2 wides. seriously, anyone care to throw out the pros and cons of these two paths.

#51 · (Edited)
I just installed a set of retro solutions 55W bixenon ballasts with actual 55W bulbs in 5000k. I am a light snob too. Years ago I installed the factory fogs. Tried running the ultra premium sylvania bulb, silverstar i think. I then added KC lights behind the grill... They throw light forever. Then I added a set of 4300k 35W bixenon HIDS in my headlights and 35k 4300k HIDS in factory fogs. HID's in 3rd gen factory headlights doesn't throw bad glare, my wife's civc on the other hand horrendous. Our foglights do throw glare with HID's still not the worst on the road.

I recommend starting out with the 55w bixenon retrosolutions kit. Pick it up from Jeremy for a better deal. The wiring isn't bad, a little intimidating to a electrical noob, but it comes with directions to follos on line. For like $180 your nighttime driving is revolutionized. It is mod disease and progressive...

My next light mod...will be adding projectors to my headlamps.

If you have a DIY attitude this forum and others will walk you through how to retrofit lights....

I dislike my lights behind the grill because it is another switch, not street legal.

With the 55W HID kit, I don't have to use my high beam, there is that much light...but I still do.

#52 ·
alot of folks have tried to steer me away from the hid without projectors setup, but that's the easiest, cheapest, with best light for the money mod ive found. i should at least try it. problem is, can i add projectors later, or do you buy a bulb made for the projectors specific when you order. they say the hi/low is suppose to be in the projectors, but if i buy initially not planning on projectors, i need the hi/low in the bulb.

#53 ·
The bulbs would not switch over if you decided to go projector after....the factory bulb is much much to big as well as being a different style completely.

#54 ·
bingo.

Just make sure that if you are wanting to do projectors down the road, that you get a bixenon kit now. It will make things a LOT easier later. (less wiring)

#55 ·
jeremy, if i bought a 55watt kit from you right now, no projectors, what bulb would it come with? i think that's the setup i want.

#56 ·
#57 ·
#58 ·
ok so let me guess. if i go with projectors, i have to switch to h1's

#60 ·
ok, last questions guys before i pull the trigger. what color temperature are our stock bulbs. im leaning towards a 4300k kit so that its just plain brighter, but 5k white would be nice too. does 5k lose color rendition or is it still a warm white?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.